Mackinaw City Restaurants

SIGN Northpointe INN
    by Simonneeddy
    Mackinaw Pastie & Cookies
    by PinkFloydActuary
  • The Chippewa Room (we would say Ojibwa today)
    The Chippewa Room (we would say Ojibwa...
    by yooperprof

Most Recent Restaurants in Mackinaw City

• Historic Depot restaurant: Horrible Experience All Round

by sarabert Written Aug 22, 2010

First time in Mackinaw City and decided to eat at the Historic Depot Restaurant for supper big mistake. There was 6 in our party and 5 of us had the steak kabobs and I had steak sandwich. The waitress took our order asked how we wanted our steaks done and left. When she brought our food back the waitress said they only do steak one way we looked at her and said your menu says steak cooked the way you like it and why did you ask us, she just shrugged and left. You needed a microscope to see my steak it barely covered half the sandwich and my husbands steak was mostly full of grizzle and both mine and my husbands were red not cooked enough to our liking. We complained to the waitress and true to her nature just shrugged, didnt offer a replacement meal, didnt offer to adjust the bill nothing. I went to 2 staff members that were standing around talking as was not busy in the restaurant and I asked for manager. The hostess said there is no manager on duty and I just look at her as that seems unbelievable to me that they would not have one on staff just for this very reason to deal with customer complaints etc. as these 2 like the waitress were no help. I told them the problem and the hostess said the waitress should have adjusted the bill or brought replacement, well she didnt and the hostess nor the other staff member offered to help diffuse the situation or rectify it. Instead we paid $24 for nothing as neither of us ate that horrible food and the staff certainly didnt care enough to make sure customers were satisfied and why should they. They are left to fend for themselves without managerial guidance and this is what you get.

Favorite Dish: NOTHING

• Seniors

• Nona Lisa's: Avoid if you can

by Oslerguy Written Aug 1, 2009

This place achieved the trifecta of bad restaurants: Terrible service, cold food, and a lousy atmosphere. In order, then... I am often willing to forgive late food or a server's mistake if that person is pleasant. I have worked in restaurants, and know that sometimes the kitchen is late, and everyone makes mistakes. Our server, though, was inefficient, rude, and disdainful. Interestingly, I saw two other tables in conflict with two OTHER servers while we were there, which tells me it was not just this one server who has a problem-- it's a culture. Second, we waited a long time for our food (mediocre), and then it was cold. Finally, the atmosphere isn't all bad. It's a big place, which is ok (I can deal with loud), but it is uncared-for. Behind us, a moose head was literally lying on its side, having fallen off of the wall at some point. Really? A moose head? It's kind of hard to miss that. Also undercutting the appeal of the place was the uniform unhappiness of the staff and patrons alike, all of whom seemed frustrated. There is something very, very wrong here, and I hope they sort it out.

Favorite Dish: Pizza. Cold pizza can be good, for breakfast at least. Cold pasta-- yuck. So, get the ice-cold pizza.

• Dixie Saloon: Not The Best Food in Town

by Niecie1 Written Apr 30, 2008

I have to agree with a previous comment. The food at the Dixie is not as good as the atmosphere. The atmosphere is really the only thing they have going for them.

The food is nothing special and the owner is not exactly customer oriented.

• Casino and Gambling

• Darrow's Restaurant: Best Place to Eat in Mackinaw

by Niecie1 Updated Apr 30, 2008

If you want a delicious homestyle meal that doesn't cost a fortune then you have to try Darrow's while in Mackinaw City.

Since they are so popular there is normally a line. I suggest you go there during the off peak times such as between 2 and 4 p.m. to avoid the heavy lunch and dinner traffic. They have yummy pies too!

They are not on the main drag. From the main street of Mackinaw (Central Ave.) you would continue straight at the light, go under the bridge and take the first road to the right (Louvingney Street).

Favorite Dish: I don't know if I have a favorite dish. I guess I'll say their turkey dinner. Everything I've had their has been good.....large portions too.

• Sailing and Boating

• PinkFloydActuary's Profile Photo

Mackinaw Pastie and Cookie Company: Pasties!

by PinkFloydActuary Written Apr 27, 2008

Mackinaw Pastie & Cookies

All throughout the UP, you'll see signs for the Pastie - and everyone will claim their's is the best. Mackinaw Pastie is no exception, but I gotta say, they were as good as advertised. The restaurant itself is right across the street from the Comfort Inn, so it made our choice that much easier. They offer 3 varieties - Beef, Chicken, and Veggie. The meat is mixed in with potatoes, onions, and rutabaga and baked in a crust. About the size of a sandwich. If it sounds good to you, you'll like it. Very tasty food! They also offer a "meal" which comes with a Pastie, cookie, and coleslaw. The dining area is just a few tables and chairs, so the place doesn't look like much, but I highly recommend the stop. The Pastie will only run you about $6 with tax, so it's an inexpensive, tasty, and filling meal option. (and the cookies aren't bad either!)

Favorite Dish: The chicken pastie was the way to go for me - filled with chicken and veggies!

• PinkFloydActuary's Profile Photo

Dixie Saloon: Dixie Saloon

by PinkFloydActuary Written Apr 27, 2008

Dixie Saloon

This is a beautiful building. It also has a really wide menu and some nice views of the lake. From there, things go down hill a little. We were seated and served fairly quickly, but never with much enthusiasm. They didn't seem terribly accommodating to families with youngsters either - we ended up off in a corner. Wifey's meal came with fries - she wanted veggies instead, but they have a strict "no substitutions" policy, so she ended up having to order a side of veggies (a minor complaint, but fairly unique in our experience.) I had the prime rib. The meat was done right, but I felt wasn't worth the price. Actually, that was the general review of the entire meal - OK, but overpriced. The ambiance is great, the choices are plentiful, but the overall experience will leave you wondering what else the town has to offer...

Dixie Saloon: Not As Good As It Looks

by skylinedrive Written Mar 14, 2008

This restaurant looks really great from the outside. Just the design of the building makes you want to go there. The inside is pretty neat, too. However, the food was not good. Our food was served cold and bland. Service was mediocre. I would not return.

Mancino's of Mackinaw City: Delicious Pizza and Grinders

by skylinedrive Written Mar 14, 2008

Many, many varieties of absolutely delicious, melt-in-your-mouth grinders. Also serves a VERY tasty pizza. And quite surprisingly, they have really good dinner salads, as well. Definitely stop here at least once during your stay. OH, and just a tip - unless you have a big appetite, only order half a grinder! They're huge!

Favorite Dish: Chicken BBQ Grinder or cheese pizza

• skylinedrive's Profile Photo

Historic Depot Restaurant: Fantastic Burgers!!!

by skylinedrive Written Mar 14, 2008

This restaurant is designed like an old train depot (hence the name). The atmosphere is nice, and in the summer you can sit out in the screened porch area. The service is always great, and the food is fantastic. Go before 4pm to try their fantastic burgers!

Favorite Dish: Definitely the Depot Burger!

• Nona Lisa - Mackinaw City: Expensive - Hidden Fees

by btuzz Updated Jul 1, 2006

Beware of this resturant, it is very pricey for an average Italian restuarant. In addition to the high prices there are additional HIDDEN CHARGES. We had a party of four and ordered two pizzas (8 pieces per pizza), we were told since we were sharing the pizza there would be charged an additional $2.00 per pizza. I was shocked since when is Pizza a individual meal. Our total bill for two pizza's and drinks was $67.00.

I was told that business is off by 35% it is no wonder with policies like this.

Favorite Dish: NONE

• Festivals

• yooperprof's Profile Photo

Audie's family restaurant: A refueling stop

by yooperprof Written May 5, 2003

The Chippewa Room (we would say Ojibwa today)

When I'm heading downstate, I like to stop for a bite to eat in Mackinaw City. There's a good variety of restaurants to choose from. Audie's Family Restaurant has some interesting photographs and news clippings from the time of the bridge's construction - it was a popular spot for the brave steel workers who worked on the span for several years. Audie's is the kind of place that has a really good "French Dip" sandwich.

Favorite Dish: The Fried Chicken Platter is also good. Save room for dessert - the German Chocolate Cake is excellent, and they also do a tasty strawberry shortcake. (I don't think the menu has changed in 30 years.)

Instant Answers: Mackinaw City

Comments

Mackinaw City Restaurants

Reviews and photos of Mackinaw City restaurants posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Mackinaw City sightseeing.

View all Mackinaw City hotels