Saugatuck Shopping

Best Rated Shopping in Saugatuck

The Olive Mill: Balsamic Vinegar/Greek Kalmta Olive Oil

by deecat Updated Sep 28, 2009

Balcamic and Olive Oil from The Olive Mill

Tlthough "The Olive Mill" is a franchise that I have visited before in different cities, this particular one was just a notch above the others. First off, the woman who assisted us was so knowledgeable, so honest, and so realistic.

For those of you who have never been to such an establishment, I will tell you this: It specializes in first-rate virgin olive oils and Balsamic vinegars. These are kept in large metal containers [light should not hit the vinegar or oil]; each metal container has a spigot for your use. Very small paper cups are there to spigot the oil or vinegar into for tasting purposes. There are at least 20-25 different oils...most are from Italy, but several are from Greece.

The flavors of oils that I especially liked were the lemon, fig, raspberry, and walnut. The one that several people seem to like that I do not care about is the blueberry flavor.

The Balsamic vinegars range from 8 years old to the traditional 25 year old! I purchased the Traditional 25-year-old Balsamic vinegar for my husband Allan who uses Balsamic on his salads.

I selected the Greek Kalamata Virgin Olive Oil because of its creamy, mellow texture and flavor. I must say that Allan really enjoyed both gifts, and I was able to enjoy them also.

What to pay: Good Virgin Olive Oil, as most of you know, is expensive as is aged Balsamic.
    I paid $14.50 for the Greek Kalamata Oil and $16.00 for the 25-year-old Traditional Balsamic.

• Women's Travel

Saugatuck Gallery: Affordable Art

by deecat Updated Sep 27, 2009

Oil Painting and Frame of Venice

Mickey and I were going in and out of the various shops in Saugatuck, Michigan, when a sign "caught our eyes" that read SALE! As many women, we are alert to sales, especially in these troubling economic times.

It was called Saugatuck Gallery and consisted of hundreds and hundreds of oil paintings of all sizes. In the back of this store were racks of frames in all sizes, shapes, and woods.

I spotted two beautiful paintings of Venice and liked them equally well. Mickey was interested in them also. I needed a painting to go over out Master bedroom bed, and I wanted the color scheme to be compatible. Both of the paintings were in shades of blue [including teal]and tans/browns. My bedroom has a quilt of teals and browns and is sometimes difficult to match.

Then I looked at the frames and asked for a Walnut finish since my bedroom set is Walnut in a Spanish style. I found a perfect match.

Now, the only problem was to select which of the two paintings I wanted. I chose the vertical one, and Mickey loved the horizontal one. Mickey also found a smaller painting of under the ocean with a brightly colored fish to represent the many snorkeling vacations she and her husband have taken. So, she purchased two paintings, and I purchased one.

The sale was 60% off ; thus I paid what one would usually pay for a frame and received both the painting and the frame.

Both my husband Allan and Mickey's husband Phil really liked our selections. Now, each time I look at the painting, I think of both Venice, Italy, and Saugatuck, Michigan!

• Seniors
    • Women's Travel

Cabbages & Kings: Excellent Children's Toy and Bookstore

by deecat Updated Sep 28, 2009

Dee inside Cabbages & Kings

Poor, Mickey, I drag her into every toy store that we see because I am the "doting grandmother" and am always looking for unique gifts for Sabrina and Brandon. Mickey is a good sport and even sometimes finds gifts for her niece and/or other friend's children.

Cabbages & Kings is among the finest stores for children that I have seen. It is so bright and cheery with an interior that is a designer's "heaven". The quality of the merchandise is the very best. The woman who waited on me was so knowledgeable, helpful, and filled with enthusiasm. I was looking for a particular author that Sabrina loves, and, of course, they had every book I could imagine. She helped me by telling me about a brand new CD that had just come out by that same author. They had sold out so she gave me all the information necessary for me to purchase it elsewhere.

Not only were the books amazing, but the toys were fantastic. I had already purchased enough for Brandon and Sabrina so I had to tell myself no, which took much willpower.

I would highly recommend Cabbages and Kings in the sweet town of Douglas if you ever find yourself in the area.

• Seniors

• LoriPori's Profile Photo

VARIOUS SHOPS: SHOPPING IN DOUGLAS

by LoriPori Written Sep 18, 2013

You will find the heart of downtown Douglas's shopping district on Center Street. Many boutiques, shops and art galleries have found homes here in lovingly preserved historic buildings. You will find everything from high-end home decor, fine art, hard-to-find antiques to trendy clothing and accessories.
    Here you will find pictures of Water Street Gallery, well known for its contemporary fine art and Brackett & Co.

Instant Answers: Saugatuck

Comments

Saugatuck Shopping

Reviews and photos of Saugatuck shopping posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Saugatuck sightseeing.