South Haven Favorites

Most Recent Favorites in South Haven

SOUTH HAVEN MUNICIPAL MARINA

by LoriPori Written Sep 24, 2013

Southside Municipal Marina

Favorite thing: South Haven is known as a major recreational port. SOUTH HAVEN MUNICIPAL MARINA is open from April 15 to October 15 and offers picnic areas, shower, restroom and laundry facilities.
    My main picture is of Southside Municipal Marina, one of four marinas in South Haven.

A BIT ABOUT SOUTH HAVEN

by LoriPori Written Sep 16, 2013

South Haven Riverfront

Favorite thing: Located in the southwest corner of Michigan along the shores of Lake Michigan, at the mouth of the Black River, SOUTH HAVEN is a major tourist area because of its recreational Harbor and beaches.
    South Haven was incorporated as a village in 1869 and as a city in 1902.
    Notable Points of interest in South Haven include:
    South Haven Pier & Lighthouse built in 1903
    South Haven Marina
    Michigan Maritime Museum
    Nearby Van Buren State Park
    Historic downtown South Haven - Phoenix Street

Also, the National Blueberry Festival held in the month of August draws many visitors to South Haven.

SOUTH HAVEN PIER & LIGHTHOUSE

by LoriPori Written Sep 15, 2013

South Haven Lighthouse

Favorite thing: The first LIGHTHOUSE was made of wood and was built in 1872 by the United States Lighthouse Board. The second was made of steel. It was built in 1903 and is still in use today. In 1923 it was electrified with a 200 watt bulb and in the 1940's the tower was painted read ( before this it was white).
    The original PIER and catwalk were made of wood and the pier was only about 300 feet long. In 1913, the pier was extended to 700 feet. In 1925 and 800 foot steel catwalk was installed. In 1940, both were lengthened to 1200 feet. At this time the pier was reconstructed of concrete
    In 1989 the Coast Guard planned to demolish the catwalk, but a Preservation Committee was formed and they raised $50,000. for lighthouse and pier renovation and catwalk lighting.
    To me the Lighthouse and Pier are a symbol of South Haven that should always be preserved. Hans and I walked to the end of the Pier. From there you have wonderful views of Lake Michigan and you can see all the boats coming and going from the Marina.

CLEMENTINE'S

by LoriPori Written Sep 15, 2013

Clementine's

Favorite thing: Since Hans and I did not eat here, I am putting this tip in General.
    CLEMENTINE'S is a downtown South Haven restaurant legend. It is housed in the OLD Citizen's Bank Building which was built in 1897. It opened as a restaurant in 1982 and is located on 500 Phoenix. The family-owned restaurant is known for its fresh perch dinners. It features a massive wood bar, original tin ceiling and photographs of early South Haven

• deecat's Profile Photo

Beach Sunset

by deecat Updated Sep 23, 2009

Sun slowly setting over beach

Favorite thing: See all the photographs to see the progression of the setting sun.

Our first night staying at our Bed and Breakfast, we walked across the street to the beach to try to take photographs of the sunset; however, we missed it by about one minute. I'm glad that we did miss it on that first night because it was somewhat cloudy. The next night, we made sure that we were there in plenty of time. There is a wooden lookout ledge over the beach, and the two of us made sure that we had ideal spots for capturing the sunset.

It had been such a picture-perfect day, not a cloud in the sky. The sun was a huge orange ball as it started to descend in the west. We took several photographs as the stages of descension progressed.

There were people on the beach watching and taking pictures. They appear in our photographs as silhouettes.

This took place at Dyckman Beach which is located off of North Shore Drive, located to the right of the only Stop sign on North Shore Drive. It is across the way from our Yelton Manor Bed & Breakfast

• Photography
    • Beaches

• deecat's Profile Photo

Farmer's Market

by deecat Updated Sep 23, 2009

Civic Pride

Favorite thing: We read in all the literature, were told at the Tourist Bureau, and were recommended by people at our B&B that we should not miss the Farmers Market on the Wednesday morning of our last day in town. So, after breakfast, we walked to the market...it was a cool morning, cooler than the other two mornings by far.

When we arrived at the market location, we were disappointed at how few booths there were. Of course, it was late in the season, and it was quite cool.

The people there were very friendly and helpful. We both wanted to purchase Michigan Peaches and discovered that this was the last week that they would be sold. We each purchased 6 peaches [quite large ones] for $6.00. I might add, that once home, both my husband, daughter, and I all agreed that they were delicious!

We also wished to purchase some sweet multi-colored corn, which we bought from the same farm. Mickey took 4 and I took 2, and the six cost $5.00. They, too, were excellent.

City of South Haven Farmers Market
    New Huron Parking Lot
    [Behind Dyckman Park
    (269) 427=0423

Wednesdays and Saturdays
    8:00 am to 2:00 pm
    May-October
    Growers only market

I did not take my camera because we walked, and I wanted my hands free to carry produce.

• Seniors
    • Women's Travel

• kimberbakos's Profile Photo

kimberbakos's General Tip

by kimberbakos Written Oct 5, 2002

Fondest memory: My favorite memories of South Haven are of all the beautiful sunsets that I have seen from the bluff and the beach. I don't think there is any thing prettier to be found, although there are plenty of things to give this beauty a run for the money! All I can say is He is an Awesome Artist :)

Instant Answers: South Haven

Comments

South Haven Favorites

Reviews and photos of South Haven favorites posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for South Haven sightseeing.