South Haven Shopping

Most Recent Shopping in South Haven

• Dabs's Profile Photo

Dutch Farm Market: Seasonal fruit and gifts

by Dabs Written Sep 23, 2013

There are dozens of places selling seasonal fruit and many also have apple picking seasons. It's been a long time since I've picked my own apples but we do like to stop and get some fruit on our fall excursions into Michigan. Dutch Farms is at the entrance to exit 26 off I-196, the same exit for McIntosh Winery so we've stopped here a couple of times.

What to buy: Seasonal fruit, we picked up some Honey Crisp apples

• Dabs's Profile Photo

McIntosh Apple Orchards: Wine tasting

by Dabs Updated Sep 23, 2013

Most recent visit September 2013

We tried the hard apple cider from McIntosh's at Clementine's and when we asked them where we could buy it locally, they gave us a flyer from McIntosh's Orchard. It was already after their closing time when we called them but they said we could still come on over, it was about a 15 minute drive from downtown South Haven and when we pulled up another couple who also arrived after hours was sitting at the bar trying some of their fruit based wines. We were just going to get the cider but since the other couple was there, we tried some of their fruit wines.

What to buy: We ended up coming away with a couple of bottles of pear wine and bottles of the hard cider, the pear wine is sweet as is the semi dry hard cider which is almost like drinking apple cider with a kick, the dry hard cider was more crisp and less sweet.

What to pay: In September 2013 we only bought the hard apple cider which was $5.50 for the smaller 500ml bottles

• LoriPori's Profile Photo

VARIOUS SHOPS: SOUTH HAVEN SHOPPING

by LoriPori Updated Sep 15, 2013

Phoenix Street Shopping

Downtown South Haven streets are lined with historic buildings that house more than 70 boutiques, galleries and shops.
    Here you will find resort apparel, gourmet food and kitchenware, house & garden items, books, jewellery and handbags.
    Along the Black River, Old Harbour Village, which is a short walk from downtown, you can stroll along its cobblestone sidewalks, where you will find more unique shops.
    Also the South Haven Farm Market is open mid May through October on Saturdays from 8:00 a.m. to 2:00 p.m. and July and August on Wednesdays from 8:00 a.m. to 2:00 p.m. The Farm Market is located downtown South Haven under the Pavilion (Huron Street Parking Lot).
    Speaking of Parking, Hans and I found plenty of free parking spaces, most with a 3 hour limit.

• Bunsch's Profile Photo

The Blueberry Store: Everything Blue(berry)

by Bunsch Updated Jun 18, 2011

A welcoming, appropriately tinted store

Even if you can't make it to the National Blueberry Festival, you can get your fill of blueberries and blueberry-related items at this little shop in downtown South Haven, owned by True Blue Farms of Grand Junction. They've got fresh, dried and frozen berries, blueberry salsa, juice and barbecue sauce, wine, coffee, clothing, cookbooks and a range of gifts and souvenirs for the tourist to take home.

Try their recipe for trail mix:

1 cup Walnuts, Almonds, or Pecans
    ¼ Teaspoon Butter or Margarine
    Pinch of Salt
    Pinch of Cayenne
    ½ Dried Blueberries or Chocolate Covered Blueberries

Toss nuts, butter, salt, and cayenne in pan to coat. Toast on medium heat for about 2 minutes, stirring constantly until all are toasted. Let cool for a few minutes, then add your choice of dried or chocolated covered blueberries.

Oh My Darlings: Toys for the Grand Children

by deecat Updated Sep 23, 2009

I had already purchased a gift in Douglas, Michigan, for my granddaughter Sabrina and was still on the lookout for something for my grandson Brandon. On the last day in South Haven, I went into a delightful shop called Oh My Darlings. This is such a terrific store for children. It has all kinds of games, puzzles, books, every toy imaginable and then some. I like to buy somewhat educational toys and usually wooden ones that will last.

I found a clever kind of wooden puzzle. The child holds a wooden tow truck that has a strong string attached to a magnet. The puzzle has eight different cars and trucks with a magnet circle atop each. You dangle the tow truck over the cars/trucks and are able to retrieve a car and put it back. The child learns co-ordination, shapes, and sizes.

I bought it for him, and it cost about $10.00. Brandon [just turned two] seems to really like it.

Grandparents and parents seem to flock to this store because of how unique the toys are, how fun it is to play with them, and how great the quality of the toys are.b

• Seniors

• deecat's Profile Photo

Chocolate Cafe: For Chocolate Lovers...

by deecat Updated Sep 23, 2009

Sorry about no photo; I was so excited about the discovery that I forgot to take a photo.

Another place I would highly suggest to anyone who visits South Haven, Michigan would be Chocolate Cafe. It is such a beautiful shop with its bright interior, lovely new building, and attractive displays. It is is a narrow, extremely long building that sells chocolates that are made by the South Bend Chocolate Company out of Indiana. These Chocolate Cafes can be found in several places in Indiana and in Michigan.

This particular store offers soups, salads, and sandwiches as well as baked goods, cheesecakes, coffee drinks, and fresh roasted coffee.

Of course, they also sell fondue, hot chocolate, chocolates by the pound [or any denomination], as we;; as their very famous chocolate covered strawberries.

I was looking at all the dark chocolates and actually YELLED when I saw that they sell dark chocolate covered peanuts, which I've never seen anywhere else! I am always looking for them because my husband loves dark chocolate and eats chocolate covered peanuts and always gripes because they only come in milk chocolate. The man who owns this franchise told me that dark chocolate does not adhere well to peanuts so they first put a sheer layer of the milk chocolate and then dip them several times in dark chocolate. I bought Allan one pound of them. [Of course, Mickey and I took a trial taste before purchasing. Oh, my goodness, they were fabulous.

When I brought them home to Allan, he just could not believe it. He devoured the pound of chocolates in two evenings, and I only had two of them. Needless to say, they were a big hit.

Golden Brown Bakery & Cafeteria: Great Coffee to Purchase by the Bag

Inside Golden Brown Bakery & Cafeteria

Mickey and I were looking for a place where we could purchase coffee by the pound to take home with us. We both like flavored coffee, and I drink decaf. We were not having much luck until we entered Golden Brown Bakery & Cafeteria.

This is quite a lovely store that is bright, open, large, very clean, and smells so good. They offer yummy bakery items, coffees, Sandwiches, soups, homemade breads, donuts, sheetcakes, Danish, cookies, and breakfast foods. All of these are pretty reasonably priced.

It's really a combination of cafe/cafeteria/restaurant/coffee shop/bakery. When we were there, the one thing that bothered me was that prices for the baked goods were not marked and so you had to continually ask.

What to buy: I purchased coffee beans that were decaf and were Chocolate! I brought it home, and I grind just enough for 8 cups each time I use it. Oh, my, it is quite delicious. I'm glad that we discovered The Golden Brown Bakery.

Instant Answers: South Haven

Comments

South Haven Shopping

Reviews and photos of South Haven shopping posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for South Haven sightseeing.