Traverse City Restaurants

View from the inner to outer dining room
    by DSwede
    Daily Special Encrusted Trout
    by DSwede
    My meal
    by PinkFloydActuary

Most Recent Restaurants in Traverse City

• deecat's Profile Photo

Bad Dog Deli: Best Soup Ever!

by deecat Updated May 30, 2010

This small Deli is attached to the Peninsula Grill and is named after the owner's Miniature Schnauzer!
    This rather small restaurant deli is clean, well organized, and run quite efficiently. This experience was one of my favorites of this trip.

Sandwiches, soups, and pizza are served here. You can select the ingredients for your own sandwiches, and they are built-to-order right before you.

Open:

Monday through Saturday 10:00 a.m. -5:00 p.m.
    Sunday 11:00 a.m.-4:00 p.m.

Favorite Dish: After visiting the Wineries of Old Mission Peninsula, the Old Mission Lighthouse, the Old Mission Inn, the Old Mission General Store, we were ready to eat. While I was climbing up the tower of the Old Mission lighthouse to see a panorama of the beach, Mickey was talking to the lady who sold tickets downstairs. She asked for a good spot for lunch, and the woman said, "Do you like soup?"; of course, Mickey's answer was an affirmative. Her suggestion was to go to the Bad Dog Deli.

Are we ever glad that Mickey inquired because we would never have known about or been able to find this adorable deli with its well-deserved reputation for great soups.

They always offer at least two choices each day, and both Mickey and I liked the sound of the Chicken Pepperjack. We each ordered a bowl plus diet cokes. Oh, yum! Michigan and Wisconsin are both states famous for cheese soups, and this particular cheese soup was the best I've ever tasted. The Pepperjack Cheese gave it a little "kick". I long to try it again.

When I went to the counter to pay, I told the woman how much I loved it and how glad I was that it was on the menu for the day. She informed me that that soup is so popular that it is ALWAYS offered. Otherwise, people would be complaining.

Bad Dog Deli

Amical: Italian with a view

by deecat Updated May 30, 2010

The first day that Mickey and I were in Traverse City, Michigan, we visited the downtown area, especially Front Street. As per our usual behavior, we asked locals to suggest places to eat. Several of those people suggested an Italian Restaurant called Amical. We looked at the menu posted in the window, took a peek inside, and asked if a table would be available in about an hour.

We noted that Amical had an outdoor patio dining area (a little too cool at this time) and a lit fireplace inside (a little too warm to sit close to it). We wanted to be near the back where windows lined the wall. We had a small table in the back and were quite satisfied with that location.

Photographs:
    1. Outside of Amical Restaurant
    2. Bread, Wine, and olives
    3. Olive Twists appetizer

The restaurant is noted for fresh salads, pasta, lamb, salmon, extension wine list, and outstanding desserts.

I must say right up front, that I have mixed feelings about our experience here...the best and worst of times. I'll speak of the worst first of all: We ordered a pasta dish to split that sounded really good: Ravioli with Tomatoes and Pesto It was cheese-filled pasta tossed with roasted roma tomato compote, pesto, local chevre and arugula for $17.00. I've never seen such HUGE ravioli and I've never tasted such a SWEET SAUCE...and that is my dislike..I cannot deal with sweet sauces on pizza or pasta. Thus, I did not eat my portion of the ravioli. Fortunately, I was not charged for that [see what I mean about best and worst of times?]

The rest of the meal was delicious, AND our waitress was one of the best we've ever had...quite efficient, so friendly and accommodating, and always smiling [even when I noted my dislike of the pasta].

Favorite Dish: The appetizer that we order was called Olive Twist which was baked twists of pastry stuffed with feta cheese and tapenade [an olive mix]. See #4 photo I can rave and rave about how delicious this appetizer was. We shared it, and we devoured the entire baked twists. This appetizer was $7.00 and worth every penny!

We also shared the salad which was called Amical Salad and consisted of local bibb lettuce and mixed greens with feta, dried cranberries, and tomato vinaigrette [small for $5.00, which was plenty large enough for two]. This was a good salad [I would have chosen a different salad dressing, but it was still quite good.]

I've already discussed the Entree of Ravioli in the first part.

As indicated, the wine list was extensive. Mickey and I wanted to try local wines and asked for suggestions. I ordered a white Reisling, and Mickey order a red wine. Both were excellent.
    See #2 photograph

Note: Their is an extensive list of Entrees such as Roasted Chicken, Spinach-Mushroom Phyllo Tart, Fresh Michigan Whitefish, Brined Pork Tenderloin, Crab-stuffed Tilapia, Cinnamon and Cumin Lamb, Seared Duck Breast, Sirloin with Balsamic-Brandy Cream, and Grilled Ribeye with Chipotle.

Because we had already eaten ice cream earlier in the day, we did not try their desserts.

Amical Italian Restaurant in Traverse City, MI Local wines, hot bread, and olives Olive Twists
    • Wine Tasting

Peppercorn: Moomer's Homemade Ice Cream

Photographs:
    1. Dee eating Moomer's ice Cream
    2. Mickey eating Moomer's Ice Cream
    3. Picture of Peppercorn Store

Each time that Mickey and I travel, we make sure to try the local ice cream and to take a photograph of that experience. We had read about the famous Moomer's Homemade Ice Cream and wanted to be sure to try it. We could have gone to:
    Moomer's Homemade Ice Cream
    7263 N. Long Lake Road
    Long Lake, Michigan
    (231) 941-4122
    This ice cream establishment is owned by Jon and Nancy Plummer and is located west of Traverse City.
    Here, you are able to watch the dairy cows graze outside while you sample some of their 100 flavors, which are made right here. However, on the first day in Traverse City, we were shopping the main area [Front Street] and happened to go into a kitchen and dining accessories and gourmet food store called Peppercorn. As we were perusing the window, we saw a sign that said, "We serve the famous Moomer's Homemade Ice Cream". What the heck...
    we could not resist the opportunity to try the ice cream that was selected by viewers of "Good Morning America" as the best ice cream in the country!

Of the 100 flavors that Moomer's make, their signature flavor is called "Cherries Moobilee" that is black cherry ice cream with chunks of black sweet cherries, red tart cherries, chocolate fudge swirl, and chunks of homemade brownies! I tried a spoonful of it and really liked it, but I just had to try the one with almonds, fudge chocolate, and coconut...memories of my favorite candy bar, Almond Joy. Speaking of delicious, it "fit the bill"!

I asked for a junior size, as did Mickey. It was huge, and then I wondered, "If the junior is this big, I wonder what a regular would be?"

My suggestion would be to experience this marvelous ice cream either at Moomer's Homemade Ice Cream in Long Lake or at Peppercorn on Front Street in Traverse City.. But, be sure to try it!

Dee Eating Delicious Moomer's Homemade Ice Cream Mickey Eating Delicious Moomer's Homemade Ice Crea Peppercorn Kitchen/Dining Accessories & Ice Cream

• DON'S DRIVE-IN: BEST BURGERS

by WALTMAR Written Oct 29, 2008

Don's brings back nostalgia, complete with outdoor car service, but the food is fantastic for any time. The burgers are what I compare all other burgers to, and none equal the texture, taste and size of Don's, add fries and a shake and you have enough for two meals. Don't look for formal dining here, it's as casual as it can be, but it's perfect for the laid back easy going tourist pace of the city.

Favorite Dish: Cheeseburger, hands down

• ciaobellamici's Profile Photo

El Dorado: Downtown Favorite

by ciaobellamici Written Oct 18, 2008

Go to the El DOrado forBreakfast! John has himself a great little spot downtown and it's a winner! We love the Saturday morning coofee and breakfast. Higher Grounds Coffee is the best!

Favorite Dish: I love the Boardman Valley - two eggs, easy, with wheat toast and cheese GRITS, flavored with Chicken Stock. I have had many of the other menu offerings and enjoy them, but am on a kick for the grits.

• 850prc's Profile Photo

Expresso Bay Coffee Shop: Cozy fireside coffee in downtown TVC

by 850prc Updated Feb 4, 2007

Expresso Bay is much like your basic Starbucks-type coffee place, although it's a bit more local in nature. Warm, friendly and inviting, it's a great place to spend half an hour on a chilly morning.

I personally work from my home office in Florida, but I work for a company headquartered in TVC. If I lived in TVC, I can guarantee that I'd take my morning coffee break every day over at Expresso Bay. (It's about a block from the offices of ForeWord Magazine)

Favorite Dish: Excellent coffee and muffins/breads, etc.
    They also serve ice cream, teas, chai, etc. Hot chocolate, gourmet treats and such.

As for the best coffees, we recommend the "bolder featured brew". If you are into flavored (we call 'em foo-foo coffees...and I'll admit that I do like foo-foo coffees sometimes), I'd recommend the French vanilla.

THE BEST part of the Expresso Bay coffee shop is the roaring fireplace just across from the serving area. Get your coffee, take off your jacket and gloves, and maybe even your shoes and rest in front of the fire.

Very nice.

Bonnie enjoys the bold brew and roaring fire

• 850prc's Profile Photo

The Green House Cafe: Super Soups and salads on Front Street

by 850prc Updated Feb 4, 2007

A simple bakery/cafe locate on Front Street in old TVC. A lot of local religiously visit the Green House for lunch, sometimes on an almost daily basis.

Without sounding like that TV show "Cheers", this is the sort of place where everybody will eventually know your name if you live in TVC.

Favorite Dish: Excellent homemade soups and salads. They have an especially nice crusty bread that is available with any soup order (as a sub for cracker). The salads are fresh and innovative.... I once had an excellent chicken and cherry (remember, TVC is cherry-land) salad on a flaky and buttery croissant.

One tip if you're there on Friday. I work for a magazine headquartered in TVC, and our editor swears by the Green House Cafe's New England clam chowder. It's served every Friday and Alex insists that it's among the two best renderings of chowder he's ever had.

BTW, his OTHER favorite clam chowder is at "The Barking Crab" in Boston. On a personal visit to the PLA library show in Boston last year (2006), I checked out the clam chowder. Very good indeed.

They're waiting for you at the Green House Cafe

• The Bowers Harbor Inn: Don't miss the Fish-in-a-bag

by weberbar Written Jun 28, 2006

The food is incredible with a wide array of fish and steak offerings as well as duck. Nothing beats the ambience. Between the bay views and old mansion decor, the ambience of this restaurant is icing on the cake. Say hello to the resident ghost, Genevive...don't worry, she's friendly.

Favorite Dish: Fish-in-a-bag (like nothing you've ever experienced) and whitefish pate.

• asturnut's Profile Photo

Sleder's Family Tavern: Kiss the Moose!

by asturnut Written Mar 10, 2003

Sleder's is a nice place to get a decent inexpensive meal. The restaurant has personality and lots of history. Of special interest besides the good food is the focal point of the restaurant-- the moose. It's a local tradition to kiss the moose that hangs on the wall. The french fries are great, the people are nice and it's cheap. I really recommend Sleder's.

The famous moose (from Sleder's website)
    • School Holidays

Instant Answers: Traverse City

Comments

Traverse City Restaurants

Reviews and photos of Traverse City restaurants posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Traverse City sightseeing.

View all Traverse City hotels