Traverse City Sports & Outdoors

Dee about 1/3 of the up the Dune
    Dee Starting Dune Climb
    by deecat
    Dee at top of first Dune

Most Recent Sports & Outdoors in Traverse City

• deecat's Profile Photo

Sleeping Bear Dunes National Park: Dune Climb

by deecat Updated Jun 1, 2010

Dee Starting Dune Climb

The most fun that I personally experienced on this 4-day trip to northern Michigan was doing the Sleeping Bear Dunes climb.

First, I want to tell about the LEGEND: "Sleeping Bear took its name from an ojibway legend about its formation. According to the story, a mother bear and her two cubs were driven by forest fires from what is now Wisconsin and forced to swim across Lake Michigan. When the mother bear reached the Michigan shore, she turned to discover that her cubs had vanished. The Great Spirit was so touched by her plight that he had her fall off to sleep there, creating Sleeping Bear Dune, and marked the place where her cubs disappeared by creating the Manitou Islands!"

THE DUNE CLIMB is a challenging but rewarding part of the Sleeping Bear Dunes National Lakeshore experience for me. First off, I proved to myself that at my age, I could keep up with the children, teen-agers, and fit adults by mastering the entire climb up and the rapid race down.

Another personal reward was to reach the top and to view Glen Lake and the Dune's summit!

Mickey decided not to make the climb because she had been in rehap for knee pain and did not wish to aggravate it. Thus, she manned the camera and took photographs of my climb. However, she was reading a book, and did not capture by run down.

Photographs:

Although it is difficult to see which one is me, look for the lady in yellow capri pants and a yellow and blue top with a blue ball hat.

1. The begin of the climb
    2. 1/3 of the way up
    3. The point at which the camera can record no more [there is another 1/3 of the climb to the summit left after this].

The greatest part of this journey was the RUN all the way down without falling. It was so much fun.

Equipment: You need to have:

• deecat's Profile Photo

Cottonwood Hiking Trail at Sleeping Dunes

by deecat Updated May 31, 2010

Beginning of Cottonwood Trail

As Mickey and were taking the Pierce Stocking Scenic Drive, we noticed that #4 on the drive was called Cottonwood Trail. Since one of the activities we wanted to do while in Sleeping Bear National Dunes was to take a hike on a trail, we decided to give it a try. Thus, on the spur of the moment, we decided to take this particular hike. The bad thing about "spur of the moment" ideas is that we were not prepared. We had no water; we were wearing sandals!

The trail is a 1.5 mile walk on the dunes. It was strenuous in spots, but it offered such a great and close look at the diversity of the dunes.

In some places, wind erosion produced bowl-shaped dunes known as "blowouts". In other spots, the build-up of the dune sad partially buried living trees!

Photographs

1. Starting of the trail

2. One of the "uphill" climbs along the trail.

3. A particularly beautiful scene along the trail

Even though we were not quite prepared, we truly enjoyed our hike on Cottonwood Trail

Equipment: You need to have good walking shoes worn with socks; a walking stick if you need it; a hat to protect you from the sun; sun protection lotion; and plenty of bottled water.

• National/State Park
    • Hiking and Walking

Instant Answers: Traverse City

Comments

Traverse City Sports & Outdoors

Reviews and photos of Traverse City sports & outdoors posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Traverse City sightseeing.

View all Traverse City hotels