Ely Warnings and Dangers

Most Recent Warnings and Dangers in Ely

• DamatDave's Profile Photo

Keeping Yogi at Bay

by DamatDave Written Nov 26, 2006

Bears can be very dangerous if you don’t prepare for them. I used to work in this area at a canoe outfitter and have been a regular visitor since I was five. Inevitably I’ve have had a few run ins with bear over the years. I was scared to death of these buggers for years after I had a 400 pounder walk up eight feet from me when I was six. But after time I learned it’s about your behavior that leads to bear problems in the BWCA. You’d be well advised to rent a food pack from an outfitter that is both sealed and nearly impenetrable by your average bear. String it between two trees 15 feet in the air and you’ll be fairly safe (put a screw eye in a baseball, tie a cord to it, a rope to the cord, and toss away). Also keep a clean camp, don’t leave food scraps or fish guts lying around; that way the bear won’t even be attracted to the area. Your best bet is to bring a dog along and you’ll never see Yogi at all.

• Sailing and Boating
    • Camping
    • National/State Park

• sverige's Profile Photo

There are wild animals, so be...

by sverige Written Oct 4, 2002

There are wild animals, so be prepared to encounter a moose, or a bear or MOSQUITOS!! Bring your bug spray!! Even though there are alot of wolves, you probably won't see one, they are very secluded. You could possibly hear them at night though...that is a normal occurance.

• wildcanary's Profile Photo

Bears

by wildcanary Written Sep 27, 2002

Make sure that you register your canoe route with the rangers. Bears were sited close to our route way out of season. The rangers came to find us. We did not sight the bears but the rangers came to assure that we were safe. This is more a precaution. This type of camping requires knowledge and safety. Do not ruin your adventure, make sure you register with the rangers.

Instant Answers: Ely

Comments

Ely Warnings and Dangers

Reviews and photos of Ely warnings and dangers posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Ely sightseeing.