Hamel Travel Guide

Hamel Restaurants

• Tugboatguy's Profile Photo
    Peg's Countryside Cafe 1 more image

by Tugboatguy Updated Jul 22, 2006

Peg's is a stand-alone attractive roadside cafe with two exits just off Highway 55 with all walls covered with large color photographs of the regular customers. And there sure are a lot of them. Usual cafe fare, but friendly and fairly fast service at booths, tables and a small counter. I was alone and shown to a table for two which I appreciated. Two main rooms and then there are all those photos. Peg has some politically incorrect posters as well, even in the separate Men's room, for your reading perusal and enjoyment. Your first visit will fascinate you, and you will return because of the good food, service and attractive looking desserts.

I had a classic Reuben sandwich on grilled toasted rye, with requested cole slaw side instead of the regular french fries, no charge for the substitution. Finished off with iced tea, lemon offered, it was a great and fast filler for a hungry man on the road. I had to make a phone call. They had no pay phone but directed me to a McDonald's just next door. Peg had a full house-the McDonald's was near empty. Tell you something? It did me.

Favorite Dish: Peg's seemed to have an extensive menu of hot full meal entree offerings, many sandwiches hot or cold to choose from and salads, soups and plenty of desserts. Was in a hurry and had the Reuben done just the way I ordered it. Everything else looked good and the place was crowded with local regulars, couples and families. My waitress who I think was owner Peggy Rasmussen, was accomodating of my special request-I did not want the fries that came with it. There was another busy waitress in this small place, also. The Reuben was authentic, with the thousand island dressing, sauerkraut, corned beef and swiss cheese all grilled and served hot on rye bread. Some aren't authentic, and it was good to get an inexpensive real one so far from its origin in San Francisco invented there many years ago.

• Seniors

Instant Answers: Hamel

Comments

Hamel Travel Guide
Map of Hamel