In 1885, Solomon G. Comstock introduced legislation to begin Moorhead Normal School. The legislation passed and the new school was opened in 1888, with Livingston Lord as the first president. From that early beginning to present the school has evolved under five different names:
Moorhead Normal School - 1888-1889
Moorhead State Teachers College - 1899-1941
Moorhead State College - 1941-1968
Moorhead State University - 1968-1994
Minnesota State University Moorhead - 1994-present
Visit the Hjemkomst Heritage Center. They have a Viking Longboat and Hopperstad Replica Stave Church showing some of the Scandinavian heritage of the area.
This Stave Church was built by one man as a donation to the city of Moorhead. It is really impressive.
Check out the website for the center @