Rochester Restaurants

Most Recent Restaurants in Rochester

• Buffalo Wild Wings: Great wings and beer!

by trainy68 Updated Apr 4, 2011

Buffalo Wild Wings is a chain of sports bar/ restaurants throughout the U.S. Our local BW2's is a fun place for people of all ages to enjoy. The bar is separate from the restaurant area, but you can get service from the bar in the restaurant area all night. There are large screen televisions throughout and you can play online trivia with people in the restaurant and all over the U.S. It's a lot of fun!

Favorite Dish: Their specialty is, of course, the barbeque chicken wings. They have many different sauces to choose from and several different basket sizes as well. Great wings, wide selection of beers to choose from as well.
    I highly recommend the sweet BBQ sauce on the wings and a Blue Moon ale out of Golden, CO (with an orange slice). Excellent combination!

• ciaobellamici's Profile Photo

Jaspers Alsatian Bistro: A Sweet Spot...

by ciaobellamici Updated Jan 30, 2011

I needed a break...needed to clear my head. Leave behind the questions about my son's health and future and find comfort food. As Rochester Mayo Clinic sees thousands of patients and their families, I am sure that I not alone in the quest for peaceful solitude and nourishment.

The Clinic has a multitude of fast food offerings in their various subway and skyway courts. I needed 'home' and found it at Jaspers.

Favorite Dish: The soup was AMAZING! Any of them are fabulous, I am sure but I chose one of the Vegetable soups. The bread that was brought I wanted to avoid but could not - The Daube Bakery fame is evident. Oh, my! Carb cares vanished...

January in Rochester need not be cold and lonely. Find you way down a quiet side street to Jaspers and rest while experiencing a calming sense of place.

• crmeers's Profile Photo

McGoons Pub and Restaurant: American Food

by crmeers Written Mar 4, 2010

This is a restaurant that is connected to Goonie's Comedy club in downtown Rochester.
    It had very good food, and friendly people there for a lunch hour.
    Food there was good, like any other pub and grill.

Favorite Dish: I had the Buffalo Chicken Wrap. It was very good.

• Aquarium
    • Golf

• shohman's Profile Photo

The Redwood Room: Redwood, not Redrum

by shohman Updated Sep 29, 2009

Hmmm, pros and cons...Well Redroom certainly has a certain ambience that many would love. Dark, candlelit, lots of brick and great music that still allows for conversation. The staff was friendly, but I think we had an off night as a new waitress was training and service was a bit sketchy (no worries, they informed us right away the waitress was new and we were in no rush)

I'm not sure what the dating scene is like here, as Rochester is made up mostly of families with 2.5 children and white picket fences, but this would be a great place for a date.

There is a small bar here with top shelf stuff and the sign of any true bar, Guinness on tap. Sadly, the bartender was not skilled in drawing a perfect pint of Guinness. I'm quite happy to wait a few minutes for a properly pulled pint. Still, he was friendly enough. The food was ok, not out of this world, but no real complaints.

I somehow feel we went on an 'off' night and would like to give this place a second chance next time I'm in town.

Favorite Dish: I had a buffalo chicken pizza. Not off the charts, but it was good. Others had apple cider pork, steaks, and salmon, all had the same opinion as me.

• Redwood Room: Give it a Try

by BillSpeights Written Jun 28, 2009

I had a nice meal here. The service was excellent and the food was good.However, I don't consider the Redwood Room a special restaurant. The next time that I'm in Rochester, I want to try the restaurant upstairs.

• Santes: Good but not Great

by BillSpeights Written Jun 28, 2009

Sontes is a nice Tapis restaurant. However, you need a "bunch" of these small portions to make up a "full meal" -- which is quite expensive. The service was outstanding, the wine list is extensive and you are allowed to taste wines before selecting a glass or bottle. I'm glad that I dined here but probably will not go back when I am in Rochester again.

• Jasper's Alsatian Bistro & Wine Bar: Wow -- Alsace in Minnesotta

by BillSpeights Written Jun 26, 2009

Jasper's offers outstanding food, very-good wine and excellent service!I visit Southwestern Germany and Alsace two or three times a year. If Jasper's was located in Colmar and I had dined there, then I would highly recommend it to my friends traveling to Alsace. Enough said...

Favorite Dish: The veal-tenderloin medallions with spätzle and asparagus was absolutely wonderful and served with a most-delightful sauce -- the best veal that I've ever eaten anywhere in the world.

• leplaya's Profile Photo

Newt's: Best hamburgers in Rochester?

by leplaya Written Aug 14, 2008

I don't really trust it when people say something is the best in Rochester. It's such a small town (pop. about 100,000) that the best can't really mean much. Well, that's what I thought of Newt's. They have decent hamburgers, but nothing amazing. They do have some interesting selections (peanut butter??), but I probably wouldn't go out of my way to get there. It's a very bar-like atomosphere (along with free popcorn that most people decided to throw on the floor rather than eat), and very young... so older people might feel a little left out.

• John Hardy's BBQ: only in Rochester

by opalmn Written Jan 24, 2008

John Hardy's is a local restaurant that is not over priced and has some good food. The sauce although still based on the original recipe of John hardy is not quite the same as what it was but is still really good. Has some foods that I haven't seen any where else in Rochester and a small town cafe atmosphere feels homey. been a local favorite for many yrs and one place in town that is not overly commercial. they do have some non barbecue options for the kids as well. The meat is smoked and you can get the sauce on the side.

It is one of my favorites.

Favorite Dish: hard to pick my favorite but I'll go with the regular shreded pork plate mild sauce on the side with fried okra and jojo potatoes. The pork is most and good with or with out the sauce and that's part of why I like it, I went with the reguler plate cuz the portion of meat is pretty good, not sure if they still use the same portions. The fried okra is good, and I know of no other place to get it in Rochester. It's breaded okra then deep fried. Although If your not into the fried thing they also have stewed, but I've never tried it. jojo's are round thin sliced potatoes that are sliced in the the kitchen from fresh potatoes. all reguler plates come with garlic bread as well.

• Seabiscuit's Profile Photo

Famous Dave's: Barbeque (Naturally)

by Seabiscuit Written Jul 18, 2007

Kinda Kitchy

I went to this restaurant for a shop (Mystery Shopper) and took a co-worker with. As I had never been to a Famous Dave's, I didn't know what to expect. The staff were impressive! Not 'impressive' as an Applebee's or other 'in-your-face' restaurants, but genuinely nice. The interior is a bit cheesy, but the food smelled great.

Favorite Dish: I had the barbecue Short Ribs (3 itty bitty ribs), with a particularly good potato salad, corn on the cob, and a cornbread muffin. The ribs were fantastic, and the muffin was superb. It had the little bits of corn that is quite rare in cornbread.

My dining accomplice had the Famous Barbecue Burger (I must only hang around People that eat hamburgers!), that came with a jalapeño pickle (wasn't expecting that). Thick sliced fries/chips on the side. She said it was perhaps the best burger in Rochester.

I think I had about a half gallon of lemonade and she had a half gallon of Sierra Mist. The server kept bringing many glasses.

Dos Amigos: Dos Amigos

by Jehcekah Written May 6, 2004

Dos Amigos is housed in an old train depot along the exisiting train tracks. I am told that this location has hosted various restaurants over the years, but Dos Amigos has been its most successful to date.

The Mexican food served here comes in very large portions off of an extensive menu. Every standard Mexican dish is served here. There is a full bar on the premises and tasty Margaritas are made in a variety of flavors.

During warmer months, there is a large outdoor seating area along the deck of the building. You may experience some trains passing through, but it isn't too disturbing.

Even with its downtown location, Dos Amigos has a large parking lot. It is also in walking distance from most downtown hotels.

Jenpachi Japanese Steak House: Jenpachi Japanese Steak House

by Jehcekah Written May 6, 2004

Jenpachi is the kind of Japanese restaurant where they cook the food on a large grill in front of you. You are seated at tables of 10 around a large grill area. A waiter takes your order and gives it to your chef, who is usually some kind of showman who likes to crack little jokes while cooking your stir-fry.

The menu here is not extensive, you have your choice of meat (chicken, beef, pork, seafood) and rice (white or fried, which costs extra). The prices are quite high for what you actually get. The least expensive meal is chicken which costs around $17 per person. The meal consists of your chosen meat and vegetables in a stir-fry sauce and then your rice on the side. The portions are quite small and the food isn't outstanding. I have had a more complex stir-fry at the local chinese take out place.

The price of the food is supposed to include the entertainment of watching your chef cook. Ours was quite funny and entertaining, but I do not think that the prices are very fair. We sat with a family of four who ordered more expensive items and their bill must have been close to $125!

If you are looking for good asian food, I would go elsewhere. But if you don't mind paying these high prices for a fun evening too, Jenpachi is an alright place to visit.

Jasper's Alsatian Bistro & Wine Bar: Jasper's Alsatian Bistro & Wine Bar

by Jehcekah Updated May 5, 2004

Jasper's serves Alsatian food with a hint of German as well. They were formally Daubeýs Konditorei & German Restaurant but they changed their menu sometime in the fall of 2003. They are located on historic third street SW, which is also the location to some antique and specialty shops and a few other restaurants. The atmosphere of the street lends itself to a European bistro somewhat because of their ability to put some tables outside. Rochester's goal is to make this area of downtown into an "urban village" setting for people in their twenties and thirties. If Jasper's remains, I believe that this will open up the tastebuds of people who might otherwise be eating hamburgers and fries.

Favorite Dish: I ate the Pork Loins with pepper gravy and leek strudel. Yep, that's right. Leek strudel. The pork was very tender and the sauce was full of flavor. The strudel accompanied the pork and sauce as a nice compliment with its sweet flavor and crisp crust.

My husband had the Jaegersnitzel which came with mustard spatzle and sauerkraut. A mushroom cream sauce covered both the breaded pork and the spatzle, which had a very light mustard flavor.

The wine selection is better than most places in Rochester, though the wines were fairly common German and French grapes. I had a glass of Piesporter and my husband went for the clear crisp flavor of the Muscadet.

Daube's bakery supplies the bread and desserts, which are definitely some of the best in town! You are given a basket of onion bread, white bread, raisin bread and some kind of wheat bread. This is served along with whipped butter and also a flavored cream cheese with paprika and parsley, very good!

O'Neill's Pizza Pub: O'Neill's Pizza Pub

by Jehcekah Written Apr 13, 2004

Located in a classic old bank building, O'Neill's offers a unique dining or bar experience. There is a large main room, surrounded by balcony seating above. On the weekends, music cascades down from the balcony, benefiting greatly from outstanding acoustics!

St. Patrick's Day at O'Neill's is always a treat, but get there early because it fills up fast!

Favorite Dish: Greek Pizza: Gyro meat on pizza with tzat-tziki sauce for dipping.

India Garden: India Garden

by Jehcekah Written Apr 13, 2004

India Garden was the first Indian cuisine restaurant in Rochester until very recently. This is a good thing because now they have been working on improving their menu and specials to compete with the other restaurant.

During the lunch hours they have a buffet which features some of the more common Indian dishes and curries.

The restaurant is usually pretty empty so it is possible to get a table quickly even during the weekend nights.

Favorite Dish: Either Chicken Korma with basmati rice and na'an bread. Or Chicken Tikka Masala with the same sides. YUM!

Instant Answers: Rochester

Comments

Rochester Restaurants

Reviews and photos of Rochester restaurants posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Rochester sightseeing.