Here is something fellow VTer's can look forward too! They are working on building a beautiful new addition to Beauvoir! Sadly, the library pavilion (which use to be the Confederate Soldier's Hospital), the Hayes cottage, Soldier's Home Barracks replica, Confederate Soldier's Museum, gift shop, and the director's home were totally destroyed. She is scheduled to reopen in the summer of 2011.
2244 Beach Blvd.
Biloxi, MS 39531
(228) 388-4400 office
(Monday - Friday)
(Office hours 8:30 AM - 5:00 PM)
Favorite thing: There was this wonderful gentleman MSgt Justin Jordan who had this adorable English Bulldog with him. Dallas is actually enlisted in the United States Air Force. Her duty is to accompany MSgt Jordan at all times and to alert him when she senses if he is going to have a flashback episode. She is specially training to assist him during such difficult times and has returned hope. He use to work in Mortuary Affairs for nearly six years, which caused him to develop PTSD. It was an honor to meet him and her.Paws and Stripes
Something to look forward to for other VTer's who hopefully will visiting lovely Biloxi Ms. It's suppose to open in the Spring of 2011. It is wonderfully located directly across from the Biloxi Lighthouse and it will include the heritage of Biloxi's past and current events. It will include a convention center. Where big beautiful weddings, meetings, socials, and work events can take place. It is within walking distance of the fabulous Beau Rivage Casino and Hard Rock Casino Hotel, and right across from the beach and the Gulf Coast.
Located at Highway 90 & Porter Avenue, Biloxi, MS 39530
When approaching Biloxi from the west, you drive by an area with 8 flags flying in the breeze. Trying to outdo Six Flags over Texas? Nah...these flags represent the 8 governments that have ruled this area since Europeans first arrived. These are: French, English, Spanish, West Florida Republic, Mississippi Territory, the Confederate States of America, Mississippi State and the United States.
Though the down has been struck by numerous large and small hurricanes many historical vestiges remain.
Apparently everything else in the area was destroyed by Katrina except the lighthouse and the statue of Pierre Lemoyne D'Iberville which was next to it. Looking very shorn and tentative, I must say - the statue that is - the lighthouse is cast iron and looked fine.
He (old Pierre) was the founder of French Louisiana in case you were wondering. Many sites and landmarks were named to honor Pierre Le Moyne d'Iberville. They include (from wikipedia):
* Avenue Iberville, located in Shawinigan, Quebec, Canada;
* Rue D'Iberville and the adjacent D'Iberville metro station in Montreal, Quebec;
* The provincial electoral district of Iberville, Quebec;
* The city of D'Iberville, Mississippi;
* Iberville Parish, Louisiana;
* Rue Iberville in New Orleans Louisiana
* A number of French ships, notably:
o A toperdo aviso, one of the first French ships to be designated as a "contre-torpilleur" (destroyer);
o A colonial sloop scuttled in Toulon on the 27 November 1942.
Favorite thing: Beauvoir is the retirement estate of Confederate President Jefferson Davis in Biloxi, Mississippi. Developed by planter-entrepreneur James Brown, the gulfside estate grew to encompass approximately 500 acres and was dominated by an imposing Louisiana raised cottage-style residence, constructed 1848-1851.
Built in 1895, the BRIELMAIER HOUSE is one of the most beautiful and unique residences in Biloxi. Paul W. Brielmaier designed and built the exquisite Victorian ornamentation and woodwork.. The three-room, T-shape design of the house is quite rare in this region of the country. Among other notable features are: the unique lattice-work gallery, three elaborate, hand-carved mantles and hand-stenciled detail on the molded trim around the doors, windows and floors.
The Brielmaier House currently houses the Biloxi Visitors Center and is located at 710 Beach Blvd.
Favorite thing: This richly designed masonry structure, the OLD BILOXI LIBRARY (c. 1924) is the finest Spanish Colonial Revival building in Biloxi. It served as the city's public library until 1977. Today it is privately owned and houses professional offices.
Constructed in 1890, this woodframe building is an excellent example of the vernacular architecture of Biloxi in the late 19th century. One of the most common house types found among Biloxi's early residential architecture, the simplicity of its style and the relative lack of ornamentation of the FORETICH HOUSE reflect the attitude and values of the working and middle class culture during this period.
The house was given to the City in 1986 and was then relocatedfrom Delauney Street to the Town Green to be part of the Biloxi Visitors Center.
The retirement estate of Jefferson Davis, only President of the Confederation, includes Beauvoir House, the PRESIDENTIAL LIBRARY, a Civil War Museum, a historic cemetery and gift shop.
Located 2244 Beach Blvd. Biloxi, Mississippi.
Biloxi's most uniquely themed casino, the TREASURE BAY CASINO offers casino action (more than 900 slots and 40 table gemes), 4 great restaurants, promotions and live entertainment---all aboard an authentic 18th century pirate ship.
Located at 1980 Beach Blvd. Biloxi Mississippi 39531
Favorite thing: At 140 Lameuse St. is BILOXI CITY HALL (c1905) , one of the best examples of the Neoclassical Revival in the South. The building was originally the Biloxi Federal Building, housing a U.S. Post Office, court house and customs house. The building is faced with a fine grayish white marble. Inside, you'll find marble floors and original woodwork and on the second floor, the former courtroom now houses the City Council Chamber
Favorite thing: Hans and I were driving through the neighbourhoods of Biloxi when we came across this beauty. I particularly like the screened porch upstairs and thought to myself how nice it would be to sit outside at night and not be bothered by mosquitos. This house is typical of many homes in Biloxi.
Built for Charles Redding, a prominent Biloxi businessman, the REDDING HOUSE (c. 1908) is a marvel in its complexity of design and fine detail. A prime feature is its use of circular motifs, particularly in the forms of its porches and projecting bay of the west facade. The building, located at 770 Jackson St., is one of the finest Colonial Revival houses remaining in Biloxi.
Today, the Redding House hosts receptions and special events and serves lunch weekdays.
Favorite thing: Originally located near the waterfront on Lameuse Street, the CREOLE COTTAGE (c. 1850) a typical early tourist cottage, was strongly influenced by the architecture of South Louisiana. In 1905, it became the first permanent free public library in Mississippi.