Beauvoir Confederate Cemetery contains 771 souls that are buried here that contain Confederate Veterans and their wives. Each of the graves are numbered. Jefferson Davis father is buried here too. Samuel Emory Davis that was born in Georgia in 1756. He served as a major in the militia of Lincoln County, Georgia during the American Revolution. He died on July 4, 1824 and was buried on Hurricane Plantation on the Mississippi River in Vicksburg. The river threaten the cemetery so his remains were removed to here and the Sons of the American Revolution take care of him and all the 771 soldiers.
Beauvoir,is a National Historic Landmark, which includes the Jefferson Davis Presidential Library, the restored antebellum home, the Confederate Museum and veterans cemetary on 51 landscaped acres. She too, was almost destroyed by Hurricane Katrina, but she was rebuilt and beams of elegance and pride once again. Sadly, most of the other structures were destroyed.
The home was built by James Brown in 1848 a wealthy plantation owner who used it for his summer home. It was passed down to his widow after his death in 1866 and she kept it till 1873 still she could not longer afford it. Sarah Dorsey bought it and named it Beauvoir, French for beautiful view. Then in 1877 Jefferson Davis was looking for a place to rest and write his books. She was family friend so he was invited to stay and write his books. Evenually he fell in love with the place to offer to buy it and she agreed. Sadly she died before the sell was complete, but he she had left it to him anyway. Jefferson died in 1889, and it was passed down to his daughter Winnie who lived in it till her death in 1898. Jefferson's widow Varina sold the property to the Mississippi Division of the Sons of Confederate Veterans. It was used till 1957. It has been maintained since as a memorial to Jefferson Davis and the Confederate Soldier.
Hours: Seven days a week 9 a.m. - 5 p.m. (summer)
9 a.m. - 4 p.m. (winter)
Admission: $7.50 Adults,
biloxi's most famous historic attraction is beauvoir the final home of confederate president jefferson davis. beauvoir is a beautiful ocean front estate built between 1848 and 1852. jefferson davis bought the property in 1879 and lived there until his death in 1889. beauvoir was first opened to the public in 1941 and is listed on the national register of historic places. along with the house you can visit the jefferson davis library and the confederate cemetery. beauvoir was heavily damaged by hurricane katrina in 2005 and has been recently restored and reopened to the public. see the attached web site for admission and times.
Beauvoir was the home and library of Confederate President Jefferson Davis after the Civil War. The house itself was built from 1848 to 1852 and Jefferson Davis took ownership in 1879. He continued to live here until his death in 1889. The museum at the home opened in 1941, and the library was just completed in 1998. The back side of the property hosts the veterans cemetery, which is the final resting place of 771 southern Civil War veterans and their wives.
Beauvoir was heavily damaged by Hurricane Camille in 1969 and again suffered tremendous damamge from Katrina in 2005. The property is currently closed for repairs (as of August 2006).
Rich in history, BEAUVOIR is the stunning home ofJefferson Davis, the only President of the Confederate States of America and the place where he penned his memoirs. The beautifully restored Beauvoir house, completed in 1852 and shaded by massive live oaks, dominates the sprawling complex that includes antebellum outbuildings, a Civil War Museum, a historic cemetery, the Presidential Library and a gift shop.
This 51 acre site houses the estate of
Jefferson Davis ,the only Confederacy's President. On this side you will see you the restored Jefferson's home , and outbuildings .Jefferson Davis Confederate Llibrary and also the The Confederate Museum the soldiers home cemetary, and the Tomb of the Unknown
There is a nature trail ,and a gift Shop,and a Picnic area on Site.In the next tip I will show the Presidential Library and visiting hours.