Yalobusha County, Mississippi is unusual in that it has two county seats and two court houses. The one pictured here, in Coffeeville, serves the northern part of the county and a second courthouse in the small unincorporated community of Water Valley serves the southern half of the county.
Yalobusha is a native American word meaning "tadpole place." Long before the county was formed, in 1834, the land was the home of both Choctaw and Chickasaw Indian tribes.
The courthouse in Coffeeville is the third one on the site. This "new" courthouse was built in 1890 at a cost of $25,000. At the time, the county population was 16,629. Today just a little more than 13,000 people live in Yalobusha County.