Ellisville Travel Guide

Ellisville Hotels

Ellisville Restaurants

Menu, Alice Cafe

by Small_World Written Aug 14, 2005

I just couldn't get the timing right on this place...we needed to start heading for home when this place finally opened for lunch. But I was tempted to stay and try out the Southern menu. (Enlarge the picture to check out the menu.)

Favorite Dish: I would have tried the pork, I think.

Alice Cafe

by Small_World Written Aug 14, 2005

When I wandered into the Alice Cafe, I was in desperate search of coffee, so I didn't notice that the cafe wasn't open for business. The cafe is on the main floor of a a bed and breakfast, the Hotel Alice, which also houses an antique store.

I entered the cafe, and a woman asked if there was something we needed, so I told her I'd like some coffee, still not realizing they weren't open for business. The owner of the hotel was seated with another woman at a table, obviously acting as wedding planner for her (overhearing that conversation would have been worth the whole trip...a true artist at work!), and she directed the hostess to bring me some coffee.

It wasn't until after I was a bit frowny-faced, wishing for a real coffee cup instead of a styrofoam one (I'm not high-maintenance; I just really really love the feel of a good coffee mug), that I realized they weren't open and were actually doing me a favor. Boy did I feel bad for being dissatisfied.

What gracious hosts they were! And the coffee was only thirty-seven cents!

Ward's Soda Fountain

by Small_World Updated Aug 14, 2005

I hadn't seen a soda fountain in a drugstore since I was a child, so I was delighted to discover this one. Looks like it is a gathering place for local men to catch up on coffee and conversation.

Back when I was a little girl, a soda fountain was the place to go out on a date...I still remember girls in full skirts, looking up flirtingly over an ice-cream soda at handsome young men in sweaters and slacks. I couldn't wait to grow up and do the same...

In keeping with the story of my life (you know, like how when I was a freshman, only seniors could have good parking; when I got to be a senior, they allowed freshmen to have equal parking as seniors...), when I became a teenager, drugstores no longer served fountain drinks...but hey, full skirts are coming back in style...and I'm starting to enjoy other "senior" privileges, so maybe things are looking up. :-)

As with every store I entered in Ellisville, the owners and clerks welcomed me as if I were their best friend, and I felt as if I'd known them my whole life.

Favorite Dish: I actually didn't have anything to drink. I'd just had coffee at the Alice Cafe (read more about that on the Alice Cafe page), and I was too distracted by the atmosphere to realize I could actually have a drink here.

What a delightful step back in time.

Ellisville Shopping

Original Ward's Drugs

by Small_World Written Aug 14, 2005

In addition to having a soda fountain, Ward's Pharmacy has everything you'd expect a pharmacy to have...plus a little bit more--gifts, jewelry, the latest fashion in purses. And if you look closely at the shelves near the ceiling, you'll find the original inventory of the drugstore.

The owner said that when her husband bought the store, the supplies came with it, and during an occasional earthquake like the one a few years ago, her husband carefully packs up the bottles so they won't break.

by Small_World Written Aug 10, 2005

There are several antique stores in downtown Ellisville...the whole town is an antique!

There were several murals on the sides of buildings like the one pictured...all beautiful!

• Ellisville Hotels

1 Hotels in Ellisville

21 Reviews and Opinions

Instant Answers: Ellisville

Comments

Ellisville Travel Guide
Map of Ellisville