this gothic revival home was built in 1852 by william mason as a wedding present for his daughter. the tudor arched entrance has a door which bears the marks of a bayonet that was thrust through it when the home was raided during the civil war.
christ episcopal church was established in 1839. the church you see today was built in 1858. during the civil war the church was used as a stable for union horses. soldiers used the altar as a feeding trough and further desecrated the church by dismantling the pipe organ and playing crude tunes through the pipes. the church is also known for it's notable rector dr. joseph holt ingraham, who wrote biblical romances such as "the prince of the house of david" and "the pilar of fire".
hill crest cemetery was established in the 1830's. hillcrest is the final resting place of many of holly spring's prominent citizens and twelve confederate civil war generals. hillcrest has an excellent collection of funerary art.
this federal style home was built in 1842. by mary marvina shields burton. burton and her husband often entertained sam houston at burton place. burton place is one of the oldest residences in holly springs. see image two for a view of burton place slave dependency.
the beautiful greek revival home was built in 1858 by merchant and contractor joel wayne. after the civil war the house was purchased by anne dickens a widow from kentucky. dickens was criticized for entertaining union soldiers and later married lt. w. a. newton who was the most hated union officer in the county. they moved out of holly springs in 1880.
this 1857 gothic revival house was the childhood home of sherwood bonner, secretary and protege to henry wadsworth longfellow. she was best known for her novel "like unto like". bonner returned to holly springs to be with her father and brother who were victims of the 1878 yellow fever epidemic. bonner never returned to boston and lived out her life in holly springs.
airliewood was built in 1858 as a town house for planter will henry coxe, the owner of galena plantation. this gothic revival villa is based on designs by noted new york architect andrew jackson downing. the iron fence and gate are reproductions of the fence and gate at the U. S. military academy at west point. union general ulysses s. grant made airliewood his headquarters during the union occupation of holly springs.
athenia was the home of judge j. w. clap who was a member of the confederate congress. this beautiful greek revival home was built in 1858. when union troops entered holly springs judge clapp would hide inside one of the columns in the front of the house.
built in 1834 this greek revival house is one of the oldest brick structures in holly springs. the house was used as the U. S. land office and later the home of w. j. l. holland. during the 1878 yellow fever epidemic holland housed yellow fever victims in his house. toward the end of the epidemic holland also became a victim of the disease.
for those interested in civil war history and southern culture the marshall county historical museum is a must see site in holly springs. the museum has over 40,000 relics on display and has the largest collection on civil war artifacts in the state of mississippi. to really see the collections you can easily spend a couple of hours at the museum.
a good first stop on a visit to holly springs is the visitor center. at the visitor center you can get a driving map of holly spring's historic buildings and homes and information on hotels, restaurants, and area attractions.
the marshall county courthouse is located on court square in the heart of downtown holly springs. the current courthouse was built in 1870 and was designed by the architectual firm willis, sloan, and trigg. the wings on the east and west side of the courthouse were added in 1925. courthouse square was involved in the 1862 van dorn raid and a number of buildings on the square were destroyed during the raid. for those interested in civil war history and architecture the marshall county courthouse and courthouse square is worth a visit when in downtown holly springs.