Picayune Travel Guide

• Our House - it's a very very very fine house
    Our House - it's a very very very fine...
    City Hall, Picayune, MS
  • Picayune

Picayune Things to Do

The Pinecote Pavillion 1 more image

by DJMist Updated Jun 6, 2007

The Crosby Arboretum is an ecosystem and plant conservatory. It is a sanctuary for plant species native to the Pearl River Drainage Basin of southern Mississippi and eastern Louisiana. The Arboretum also serves as an educational and research facility. It has both woodland and aquatic exhibits over a 104-acre site. This is truly a beautiful place - very natural and authentic. It is also a Mississippi landmark and honored location. It has been awarded top honors from both The American Institute of Architects (for Pinecote Pavilion, designed by Fay Jones) and The American Society of Landscape Architects (for the master plan and landscape design, by Edward L. Blake, Jr.). Both awards are the highest national awards in their fields and the only ever awarded in Mississippi. Admission is $4.

• Eco-Tourism
    • Hiking and Walking

• DJMist's Profile Photo
    A main engine test at test stand A

by DJMist Written Jun 6, 2007

Just outside of town is NASA Stennis Space Center. This is where I work. No, I’m not a rocket scientist but there are plenty of them around since SSC is the space shuttle’s main engine testing facility. Many other rockets and high powered engines are tested here as well. Actually, I’m a cartographer by trade (I have a degree in Geography) and thus my affection with travel. Stennis has a visitor’s center, the Stennisphere, which has a lot of cool exhibits – the StenniSphere is Open Wednesday-Saturday, 10 a.m. to 3 p.m. You can learn about NASA and SSC history, satellite technologies, and earth sciences. Mississippi is also building the new $10 million Infinity Science Center on Stennis grounds.

• Picayune Hotels

5 Hotels in Picayune

6 Reviews and Opinions

Picayune Hotels

Picayune Restaurants

by DJMist Written Jun 6, 2007

Reminder: Picayune is small town in the middle of the bible belt with a liquor sales ban (restaurants can sell beer). This means most restaurants close early. Like 8 o’clock early! This causes me great anguish as I tend to eat late. I also like to drink from time to time. This is the greatest problem I have with Picayune but I am hoping things will eventually change.

by DJMist Written Jun 6, 2007

Fat Boys BBQ serves really good meat smoked ‘out back’ with a sauce I might commit a felony for. Their mayo-based potato salad is out of sight too. The prices are really cheap and they give you so much food – too much! (I’ve hurt myself before.) They are only open Wed. – Sat. and close promptly at 8 p.m.

Favorite Dish: Beef brisket is the house specialty but everything is great.

by DJMist Written Jun 6, 2007

I am a big sushi fan and I was on cloud nine when they opened in February 2007. I must have eaten there 10 times the first month. I still go there quite often. The chirashi and sashimi are really good (they have hibachi too) and the prices are comparable to other sushi restaurants but the service is a bit off – never horrible but never great either.

Favorite Dish: Rock 'n' Roll

Instant Answers: Picayune

Comments

Picayune Travel Guide
Map of Picayune