Places to eat in Mississippi

Cracker Barrel in Pearl

Most Viewed Restaurants in Mississippi

Hooter's: Good Food, Pretty Ladies in Biloxi

by Basaic Written Apr 4, 2013

For anyone that doesn't know, Hooters is a restaurant that is best known for their attractive young women wearing tank tops and bright orange short shorts. I had their Manhattan Clam Chowder and it was great. My waitress, Amy, was a very good waitress and quite attractive. Got a nice group photo; I found it interesting that the manager, Leah, was the cutest of all.

Hooters Group Shot Leah, Amy and I Amy
    • Beer Tasting
    • Singles

• Small_World's Profile Photo

The Country Fisherman: Southern Home Cookin' (can we say fried?)

by Small_World Updated Aug 10, 2005

If you judge a restaurant by the number of cars parked outside, then you'd probably stop here if you were in Mendenhall, Mississippi, during lunch time. The place was packed.

I wouldn't have stopped here, though, because the outside looked a bit...well...too country, in a redneck kind of way. We were actually looking for a restaurant called The Revolving Tables that had been written up in Southern Living as a great place to eat. We found the restaurant, but it had been closed since 2001. I was sooo disappointed. But determined to find another great place, we asked the locals where they eat now that the Revolving Tables had closed.

They directed us to the Country Fisherman, and we were glad we took a chance on it.

Favorite Dish: The lunch is a buffet, all you can eat, for $8 (if you have tea; $6.73, if you just have water). The fried chicken is just about as good as I've had for Sunday dinner at grandma's house, and the fried catfish was equally good. They also had pork chops (you guessed it - fried) and turnip greens, cornbread (ok, so the cornbread isn't as good as I make it), vegetables, all kinds of slaws and salads, and ten choices of desserts (the crusts weren't homemade, but the fillings were).

Country Fisherman, Interior

Olive Garden: Good Americanized Italian in Hattiesburg

by Basaic Written Apr 4, 2013

$19 as of March 2013. I like the food in Olive Garden; but it is a bit Americanized from regular Italian food. This was a fairly typical Olive Garden but my waiter, Richard, was better than average. Hours are 11 AM to 10 PM Sunday through Thursday and 11 AM to 11 PM Friday and Saturday.

Favorite Dish: I had some good Parmesan Crusted Tilapia and even better Chicken and Gnocchi Soup.

Olive Garden
    • Wine Tasting

Cracker Barrell: Good Chain Restaurant in Hattiesburg

by Basaic Written Apr 4, 2013

Another chain restaurant I like is Cracker Barrel. The food and the service is consistently good and this one was no exception. Worth a stop for good food and good value. Hours are 6 AM to 10 PM Sunday through Thursday and 6 AM to 11 PM Friday and Saturday.

Favorite Dish: Great meatloaf!

Cracker Barrell

• tompt's Profile Photo

Applebees: a great draft beer

by tompt Written Nov 24, 2003

Applebees is a regular family restaurant. Food is good and prices are not too high.
    But a defenite + here is they serve great draft beers. They call it Brewtus® and you can have several different kinds, depending on what they have on tap.

Brewtus

Mama Jean's: Decent Home Cooking in Lawrence

by Basaic Written May 29, 2013

Lawrence is a town of about 13,000 located along Interstate 20. I did not wander into the main part of town; just stopped for lunch. The place I stopped did not look like much from the outside. The building is metal and it is attached to a gas station. Inside it looked like the decor was salvaged from an old house; kinda homey and kinda rundown at the same time. They were offering a special: Fried Chicken, Mashed Potatos, Black Eyed Peas with a desert and a drink for $8. Pretty cheap. The food was average. The desert, banana pudding, was very good but the protion was tiny. Okay I guess.

Mama Jean's

Cracker Barrel: Homecooking in Chain Restaurant in Pearl

by Basaic Written May 29, 2013

$14 as of April 2013. This was a typical Cracker Barrel, which to me means it's very good. The atmosphere is homey and the staff efficient and friendly. I had the meat loaf which I always enjoy (although my sisters still make it better).

Cracker Barrel in Pearl

Hooters: Good Food, Pretty Ladies in Gulfport

by Basaic Written Sep 11, 2012

It was so foggy you could barely see the car in front of you when I stopped for the night in Gulfport. I told myself I would walk to the nearest place to eat when I got a motel room. That ended up being a Hooters. For anyone that doesn't know, Hooters is a restaurant that is best known for their attractive young women wearing tank tops and bright orange short shorts. I had their Manhattan Clam Chowder and it was great. My waitress, Angela, was a very good waitress and quite attractive.

Favorite Dish: Manhattan Clam Chowder, Chili, Wings.

Hooters Gulfport Debbie, Angela and I Angela and I Brittany Dori
    • Beer Tasting
    • Singles

• keeweechic's Profile Photo

Shoneys Restaurant - Natchez

by keeweechic Updated Dec 27, 2003

Shoney's Restaurants have been around since 1947 and they are now in 22 states. Every night is a different night on their menu and it's a 'all you care to eat' deal. The night we were there it was bbq night. Whatever the nights specialities are, it comes with soup and salad and vegetable buffet. It's a good deal restaurant especially for families. It was getting late when we arrived, it was close to our motel and it served to satisfy our grumbling tums. They also do a breakfast buffet and an express lunch.

• keeweechic's Profile Photo

Biloxi - Mary Mahoney's Old French House

by keeweechic Updated Nov 10, 2006

The original building housing Mahoney's was built circa 1735. It is similar in design to standard New Orleans architecture. It now provides fine dining with a view. There is a separate Market Café which has 24 hour breakfast, lunch and dinner. They also have beignettes which are served hot.

• Dana_Rae's Profile Photo

Any casino in Tunica has...

by Dana_Rae Updated Aug 26, 2002

Any casino in Tunica has anything from fast food to buffet to something more upscale
    My favorite includes the buffet dinner in Tunica located in the casino room. Great steak and more!

Favorite Dish: Gotta be the steak...or the baked potato. Oh but wait there is dessert too.....
    Oh and Gold Strike has krispy kreme donuts too!

• BluecatCanoe's Profile Photo

There are many nice...

by BluecatCanoe Written Aug 25, 2002

There are many nice restaurants throughout Mississippi. In former days I would go for fried catfish, now I hit the buffets at the casinos. I love the Isle of Capri Casino Buffet, especially the one in Biloxi. Great seafood at a good price.

• The best buffet is at...

by Rainbowlover Written Aug 25, 2002

The best buffet is at Horseshoe. I vote the second best at the Grand Casino.
    Best dessert by far at Hollywood.
    If you just want a burger, the diner at Hollywood is great with old fashioned milk shakes.
    Go during the week and you can stay for $39 a night at Fitzgeralds. Weekends expect to pay $120 and up.

Favorite Dish: We usually hit the buffets since we are big eaters.

• AldenM1's Profile Photo

Handy Andy's: Handy Andy's

by AldenM1 Written Aug 24, 2002

Yeah, Handy Andy's is a gas station. You might not like the ambiance if you're not into 7-11-style dining. So get the barbeque to go. Get some baked beans too, while you're at it.

Favorite Dish: It's all about the barbeque. The only meat I miss in my current, vegetarian phase. :) Make sure you do it Deep South style -- on a bun with coleslaw (yes, on the sandwich). And none of this Texan beef barbeque nonsense.

• Aunt Jenny's Catfish...

by WhtKnt Written Aug 24, 2002

Aunt Jenny's Catfish Restaurant
    Nestled on Ocean Springs Bayou, this quiet little out-of-the-way restaurant is a cozy cafe with old-world charm. The main dining area has a beautiful view of the bayou.

Favorite Dish: All-you-care-to-eat fried chicken

7 Reviews - 66 Photos
Bay Saint Louis Hotels
14 Reviews - 24 Photos

Instant Answers: Mississippi

Comments

Mississippi Restaurants

Reviews and photos of Mississippi restaurants posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Mississippi sightseeing.
Map of Mississippi