Starkville Travel Guide

Historic District
    Civil War Memorials

Starkville Things to Do

• Veterans Memorials

Starkville has a couple of nice Veterans Memorials dedicated to Oktibbeha County veterans of the nation's military; and a couple of Civil War Monuments.

• Starkville Historic District

Starkville has a nice historic district with several buildings of historical and/or architectural interest.

• Starkville and Oktibbeha County

Starkville is a fairly big town of almost 24,000 residents located along US Highway 82 in East Central Mississippi. Mississippi State University, the largest university in the state, is located parthly in Starkville. The university is the towns lragest employer and social activities tend to revolve around the campus. This area was inhabited at...

Starkville Hotels

Starkville Restaurants

• Don't Judge a Book by Its Cover

Absolutely no atmosphere from the outside (it is located in a shopping center), Harvey's more than makes up for it on the inside, which is nice, quiet, and dark.The food is nice, too. This is the best place to eat in Starkville. I had the lemon pepper chicken. Tender and flavorful...and not terribly expensive (twelve dollars, and it comes with a...

• City Bagel Cafe

Due to the small, southern town nature of Starkville, City Bagel Cafe almost seems out of place. Drive across Mississippi and you will see a Barbeque place on every block. City Bagel Cafe is someplace you would expect in a larger city. Very clean and excellent service. Great bagels and other breads. Diverse array of sandwiches. Also serve small...

• Starkville Cafe

This is real southern food! Try some grits along with breakfast. Order a combination plate for lunch. Don't be supprised if a waitress calls you 'darlin'. This is their way of being friendly. :)

Starkville Nightlife

• by amelia3 Written Oct 4, 2002

It is a college hangout with live entertainment. They also provide a free shuttle(zebra bus) for those who have had a little too much fun.

Dress Code: Casual

Starkville Off The Beaten Path

• Small_World's Profile Photo

by Small_World Updated Aug 11, 2005

When I was a little girl, I used to dread visits to my aunt's house, which was near the J.M. Stone Cotton Mill. I loved my aunt, but I didn't love the loud whistle from the mill that blew every day at noon. I could tell instinctively when it was about to blow (I was too young to tell time), and I would beg my mom to take me away from there before I ultimately had to run to her lap and bury my head there with my hands over my ears. Not my favorite memory. I'm sure my mom had worse memories of the place, as she worked there as a teenager for only a few cents a day.

Lots of history within this building, not much of it pleasant to hear about. Long hours, little pay, pitiful conditions. The mill shut down around 1965 and became known as the Cooley Building, serving as the physical plant for Mississippi State University. The Cooley Building was erected in 1902 and is listed on the National Register of Historic Places. Starkville is considering the Cooley Building and its 12 surrounding acres as the location for a local conference center combined with a cultural or arts complex.

I'd like that, I think. I was always disappointed seeing that historic building being "emasculated" as a physical plant. But not so disappointed that I'm not glad the whistle no longer blows.

J.M. Stone Cotton Mill
    • Study Abroad

Starkville Favorites

• by amelia3 Written Oct 4, 2002

Favorite thing: Walk around! Mississippi State University is located there and it is fun to walk around the campus. It if very safe. Mingle with the people. Most people are very friendly.

Instant Answers: Starkville

Comments

Explore Deeper into Starkville
Map of Starkville