Farmington Restaurants

Pecan Bourban Pie

Best Rated Restaurants in Farmington

The Branding Iron BBQ: For Excellent BBQ

Inside The Branding Iron BBQ

We were told by several locals that the place for BBQ in Farmington was The Branding Iron BBQ. There are two of them, and we visited the one on Maple Valley Drive.

Their motto is "Where the Spice is Right!" The motto is a good one because their BBQ is outstanding. This is a casual place with lots of beautiful wood, high ceilings, and a "down home" feel to it.

They offer dinners, sandwiches, sides, ribs, BBQ salads, a children's menu and desserts.

Both Allan and I ordered from the Sandwich and Side Dishes.
    We were impressed with the cleanliness, friendliness, and deliciousness of the products.

Favorite Dish: We both orderedPulled Pork BBQ sandwiches [Allan ordered the Jumbo, and I ordered the Regular]. We had three choices for the toasted bread [Regular Bun, Texas Toast, or Kaiser Roll]. Both of us selected the Kaiser Roll.

In addition to the sandwich, we ordered from the side menu. The choices were Baked Beans, Coleslaw, Potato Salad, Green Beans, Applesauce, Seasoned French Fries, Fried Okra, or Cottage Cheese. We both ordered Baked Beans and Coleslaw. The Baked Beans were excellent with just the right spices. We also enjoyed the coleslaw. Even though it was the creamy style, it was not too creamy or sweet. It had just enough "tang".

We were both stuffed after that and so we did not order a dessert. They offered New York Style Cheesecake, Ultimate Chocolate Cake, White Chocolate Mousse Cake, Carrot Cake, Brownie Fudge Pecan Pie, Apple or Blackberry Cobbler...it took lots of willpower to pass up such delicious sounding choices.

12 West Bar & Grill: Half Price Appetizers

Blue Cheese Burger & Waffle Fries

BE SURE TO SEE ALL THE PHOTOGRAPHS OF THE DELICIOUS FOOD

After a long day of finding wineries, we wanted to treat ourselves to a good restaurant. We had been told at the last winery we visited that 12 West Bar & Grill was good; thus, we gave it a try.

Fortunately for us, on the day that we were there, appetizers were 1/2 price. I am a small eater and often use appetizers as my main meal. This was no exception to that procedure.

This is a a nice downtown restaurant that has an "urban" feel to it. Look at photograph #4 to see the inside of 12 West Bar & Grill. In a town with so many fast food restaurants, it was a pleasure to find this fine restaurant. I especially enjoyed the natural brick walls and the hardwood floors. We sat at a comfortable booth with a panoramic view of the entire eating area. It was comfortable and quiet.

Favorite Dish: The lead photograph shows the meal that my husband Allan ordered: A large blue cheese steak burger with crisp waffle fries that were nicely spiced. I seldom eat potatoes because I don't like them; however, because his waffle fries looked so delicious, I tried a few and was pleasantly surprised at how delicious they were. Allan cleaned his plate with a smile on his face.

The third photograph shows the appetizer that I ordered as my meal. The Brie Cheese with cranberries and almond slivers was quite a delight. The toast points were crisp and the perfect item for spreading the creamy Brie. On the side were fresh fruits such as Granny Smith apple slices, and two kinds of grapes atop a leaf lettuce. This was more than enough for me.

Both Allan and I have a "sweet tooth" so we decided to share a homemade dessert. We selected the Pecan Bourbon Pie with whipped cream. It was a small slice, but it was so rich that we were glad that it was not larger. It sat atop a sauce that was homemade caramel, which was out-of-this-world delicious! It was so good that we wickedly wished to "lick the plate"; however, we did not.

I would highly recommend this restaurant for its ambience, delicious food, and convenient location.

The Catfish Kettle Restaurant: Catfish

Food at The Catfish Kettle Restaurant

For days, we drove by The Catfish Kettle hoping that it would be open. It always seemed to be closed. Finally, we saw cars in the parking lot, lights on inside, and the "open" sign in the window. So, we stopped. We both love catfish and were looking forward to trying this restaurant.

Too bad we did not ask around to find out if it was good or not. We were quite disappointed after eating here. It's not that the food was horrible; it just was not delicious.

The inside of the restaurant was informal, and the table where we were seated had an ancient plastic table covering that was wearing so thin.

The one thing that I really liked can be found in Photograph #3 with the type of container that was used for the drinks.

The waitress was friendly, but the service was slow, and it was not crowded at all.

Favorite Dish: As seen from the main photograph, both Allan and I order Catfish, baked beans, and coleslaw. The Catfish was pretty mediocre [perhaps too well done and did not taste fresh]; the baked beans were good but lacked in any delicious spices; but the worst was the Coleslaw, which was shredded so thin that it was "mushy" and way too creamy.

We were both surprised at the quality of the food. I just hope that this was an off night; however, I have the feeling that nothing could be done to save that alwful Coleslaw!

Steak and Shake: The Only Fast Food Restaurant That I Like

by deecat Updated May 6, 2011

I'm not a big fan of fast food restaurants and have never been; however, I have always enjoyed eating at Steak and Shake restaurants. Less than a mile from our time share condominium in Farmington, Missouri, there was a Steak and Shake Restaurant. Needless to say, we just had to try it once while on vacation. It's great to go in the afternoon between two and four because they offer all drinks for "buy one, get one free". We always order their hand dipped milk shakes. Yum!

What I noticed about this Steak and Shake is how friendly the waitresses were and how much they assisted each other. They all seemed to be so busy and so cooperative. We sure heard lots of laughter between these woman as they moved about completing their jobs and serving their customers. It was a joy to see this enthusiasm which became contagious.

We've noticed that in the last few years, the Steak and Shake menu has expanded and added many new items. However, we seem to always order the same items because we are so pleased with the outcome.

Favorite Dish: Allan always orders a double steakburder WITHOUT CHEESE with onions, pickles, and he adds lots of ketchup! In addition, he orders the french fries and a Butterfinger Milk Shake.

I always order a single cheese steakburger, fries, and a chocolate fudge milk shake. I am seldom able to finish my steakburger because the shake is so delicious and so filling.

The menu includes soup, salads, chicken, fish, and steakburger sandwiches, fries, onion rings, their famed Chili, and several other choices. The food is always good, and it's interesting to be able to watch the food being created behind the front counter.

• grandmaR's Profile Photo

White Castle: Get a Crave Case

by grandmaR Updated Mar 20, 2008

White Castle with a car at the drive-in

We had never eaten at a White Castle, and actually I think I got it mixed up with the Little Tavern or the White Tower, both of which were old time local chains. The White Castle has a very distinctive architecture.

Favorite Dish: They have Slyders which is a square hamburger - the Slyders are small which is why a Crave Case (where you get multiple Slyders) does make some sense. We didn't know how small the burgers were and I think they threw in some extra for what we ordered. We took them back to the condo to eat. The somewhat blurred photo of three Slyders (photo 5) has Bob's hand in it for a size comparison.

• grandmaR's Profile Photo

Catfish Skillet: Fried - Shrimp, Chicken or Fish

by grandmaR Updated Jan 22, 2008

This is a "family style" restaurant, which is open Tuesday through Saturday. The menu is limited, but the service is fast.

Favorite Dish: I had the Senior chicken dinner with cole slaw, fries and hush puppies $6.75, and Bob had the shrimp dinner with the same. They gave us pickles and other condiments too. The cole slaw was really sweet and good, and the fried items were fresh and hot. Drinks came in a big glass mug - I had lemonade for $1.69. Afterwards we both had ice cream with chocolate syrup for an additional $1.50.

Instant Answers: Farmington

Comments

Farmington Restaurants

Reviews and photos of Farmington restaurants posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Farmington sightseeing.