Jefferson National Expansion Memorial National Historic Site Travel Guide

Indian Leaders from various tribes
    by grandmaR
    Looking into the depths of the museum
  • The Bear
    The Bear "The grizzly ...

Jefferson National Expansion Memorial National Historic Site Things to Do

• grandmaR's Profile Photo

by grandmaR Updated May 17, 2010

under construction

The Museum of Westward Expansion houses a permanent exhibit of 33 large format photo murals depicting the campsites and significant places visited by Meriwether Lewis and William Clark during their exploration of the interior of North America. This epic journey became better known as the Corps of Discovery. Jefferson National Expansion Memorial displays these magnificent 15 foot high photo murals extending 500 feet along the back wall of the Museum of Westward Expansion.

The first photo is of the: Bear

"The grizzly is the one wild animal of our wilderness who knows no natural overlord. With the exception of man, he deigns to recognize no enemy."
    -- William W. Wright, Naturalist

The Bear  Soldier Statue (1870-1890) Indian Leaders from various tribes Looking into the depths of the museum
    • National/State Park

• grandmaR's Profile Photo

by grandmaR Written Feb 5, 2008

One of the places I wanted to go was to the St. Louis Arch, which Bob said he had been to, but I had not. And it was a Historical site where I could get my National Park passport stamped. After we drove around the whole park, we parked in the garage and walked to the arch. Unfortunately, while I had my cane, I left my Golden Age card and the NPS passport in the car. So I had to get a stamp on a piece of paper, and we also had to pay full price for going up in the arch. The arch is NOT handicapped accessible as there are steps to get down to the visitor's center, and also up to the cars.

We missed the 12:10 car and went in the 12:20 one. Going up takes 4 minutes. Bob did not remember that the cars in the arch were so small. I did have my cane, so they put us in the first car. The views from the top were amazing, and while we were there some workmen came and opened up the floor (photo 4) and consulted the blueprints. We went down in the 12:46 car (takes 3 minutes going down),

Arch from the street Looking back to the arch from downtown From inside the tram as we go down Workman consulting a blueprint Leg of the arch from the top
    • Architecture
    • Trains

• Travel_Larry's Profile Photo

by Travel_Larry Written Apr 24, 2006

Although the trams are a little stuffy and okay, a little stinky in the summer, its worth the quick jaunt to the top of St. Louis' Arch. I loved the view of the city and have the pictures to prove it! You get a great view of the Mississippi River and the riverboats that you can even cruise on! Bring your camera and/or camcorders, you'll want to record this memory.

Shadow of the Arch View of the riverboats on the Mississippi River Old Busch Stadium, a view from the top The old courthouse
    • Architecture
    • Museum Visits

Comments

Jefferson National Expansion Memorial National Historic Site Travel Guide
Map of Jefferson National Expansion Memorial National Historic Site