Neighborhoods, Kansas City

Know about this? Rate It!

building for the masses
    by yooperprof
  • if you live in a stone house, don't throw glass
    if you live in a stone house, don't...
    by yooperprof
  • Neighborhoods
    by shdw100

The Rockhill Neighborhood

by yooperprof Written Jul 3, 2004

if you live in a stone house, don't throw glass

Favorite thing: It's a common misconception in Kansas City that the Rockhill Neighborhood is so named because it's located on a prominent hill which had a lot of rocks on it. Au contraire, my dear friend. "Rockhill" was the middle name of William Rockhill Nelson, owner-editor of the Kansas City Star at the turn of the 19th to the 20th century and developer of this part of the city. In turn, "Rockhill" was the birth name of Nelson's mother, and like many other men of his time, he felt he owed "it all" to her.

A notable feature of the Rockhill neighborhood is the widespread use of limestone in domestic architecture. Actually, limestone is widely used throughout the city, though perhaps nowhere more than here. There were limestone quarries throughout the city, including one of Gillham Boulevard, not half a mile from this classic early 20th century house.

Colonnade Apartments

by yooperprof Written Jul 3, 2004

building for the masses

Favorite thing: There are many examples of this style of apartment building in Kansas City. Blocks of "flats" with this general form were constructed from 1900 to about 1930. Basically, there are six apartments in each building, with each apartment having not only a generously sized front porch, but also a back balcony overlooking a courtyard. These "colonnade" apartments (now desirable condos) are on 43rd Street just to the east of Main, close to the Kemper Museum of Contemporary Art.

• asturnut's Profile Photo

The Plaza

by asturnut Written May 19, 2004

The beginning of the Plaza

Favorite thing: The Plaza is the most beautiful and interesting area in Kansas City. It is a gorgeously architectured shopping district modeled after Sevilla, Spain. There's great shopping and dining and many wonderful photo ops. (See my travelogue.) This wonderful district is surrounded by a residential district with gorgeous old homes that are also worth a look.

• shdw100's Profile Photo

Come in, sit down, let's chat

by shdw100 Written Aug 4, 2003

Favorite thing: Some of my family lives here, so I love getting together, having dinner, and then chatting after for awhile about everything. Usually the living room is the place to have the social hour. So, if your ever in town, come in, sit down, and let's chat!

A Ward Parkway Mansion

by yooperprof Written May 25, 2003
    The rich are different. . .

Favorite thing: Ward Parkway in Kansas City is one of many stately boulevards in the city. It's one of the premiere addresses in the city, the "Gold Coast" you might say. This "cottage" is one the southwest corner of Ward Parkway and 55th.

• Camille_W's Profile Photo

It's not just a Cowtown

by Camille_W Written Mar 18, 2003

My apartment building

Favorite thing: Kansas City surprised me with it's beautiful neighborhoods like Mission Hills and Valentine. It surprised me with it's fun nightlife scene with places like the Grand Emporium. I was surprised by the culture this city has in places like Writer's Place and the Nelson-Atkins Museum. There are neighborhoods that I don't feel very safe in, but I find myself driving through them because the architecture is so interesting and the history of the place just leaps out at you.

Fondest memory: I still live in Kansas City, so my memories are still being made. My best memory so far was the time I walked through the Country Club Plaza at 3:00 a.m. when it was snowing.

I miss my friends the most when I'm not here, but other than that I miss sitting in my living room looking out across Brush Creek at the Plaza.

Instant Answers: Kansas City