Cajun, Kansas City

• AlbuqRay's Profile Photo

Red Vine Cajun Restaurant & Jazz House: Find the Red Vine for Jazz and Food

by AlbuqRay Updated Apr 4, 2011
    Red Vine Cajun Restaurant & Jazz House

This is an update from Aug 06. Unfortunately The Red Vine is now out of business. It is strange how a great idea sometimes does not pan out. Maybe it was the service but I am also thinking that many people are only remembering how the 18th and Vine area used to be; it was a rough, unsafe area 20-30 years ago. Now the jazz district is going through a renewal. We should all not forget that all existence is characterized by cycles. Hopefully Sebrina will try again some day. I'll leave the tip just in case.

The Red Vine is a new restaurant and live entertainment venue in the historic 18th and Vine jazz district. I just found it on my last trip to Kansas City. We had lunch there. The food was delicious, Charlaun's service was excellent, and the people friendly.

The owner, Sebrina, was making one of her renowned sweet potato cheesecakes but still came out to say hello. I always take it as a good sign when the owner participates in the business and does more than supervise, especially in a large place like the Red Vine.

It was Friday afternoon and the stage was being set for live entertainment. Unfortunately we had to leave for the airport before it started. Ah well, another time. :) However, we did tour the American Jazz Museum and the Negro Baseball League Museum that are just half a block away. The theme nights at the Red Vine are Sun - Jazz Brunch, Tue - Poetry, Wed - Open Mic, Thu - Jazz, Fri - Lyrics & Laughter, and Sat - R&B.

I had not taken my camera on this business trip (big mistake) but I bought a one-time camera and took some pictures. The inside pictures were underexposed but hopefully you can still see some things (see also a separate travelogue).

Favorite Dish: Fire sausage po' boy with sweet potato fries