Down Home, Kansas City

Drinks... yum
    Old-style logs and chinking
    Lovely grounds at night
  • shdw100's Profile Photo

Dave's Kitchen Cafe: We'll cook anything (almost)

by shdw100 Written Aug 4, 2003

Dave's Kitchen Cafe

This is where most of the meals come from. I have learned that by being a parent, you can cook only the foods you like. I usually will try anything once, so anything goes (almost!)

Favorite Dish: My favorite dish actually isn't American, it's German. I got the recipe from VT friend Christine (tini58de). It's called Simla Chicken, and if you have not tried it, you don't know what your missing!
    As my wife usually cooks most of the meals on the weekdays (I cook on the weekends) I consider all the meals that are prepared excellent!

• asturnut's Profile Photo

Stroud's: We choke our own chickens

by asturnut Written Sep 11, 2003

Exterior of Stroud's

Fantastic ambiance. Very quaint and sort of "colonial." Crooked floors and wooden walls with chinking are among the unique qualities of Stroud's. Banquet facilites overlooking a lovely lake and well as a chapel make this a great place for a small wedding or party. The food was mediocre, but for the price, who would complain. Food is served family style and it's a great place to take a big bunch of people and the kids for an evening meal.

• asturnut's Profile Photo

Philly Time: Cheesesteaks in Kansas City???

by asturnut Updated Dec 28, 2004

cheesesteak

If you are in Kansas City and you are just dying for a Philly Cheesesteak this is as close as it gets. I didn't really think the sandwiches were all that authentic but my dad (who used to live in Philly too) verified that these are the best in the Kansas City area. I thought the sandwiches were quite tasty, and the meat was cut very thin as it shoud be. But, as is typical with the midwestern version of the cheesesteak the overly soft roll and the flavor of the meat weren't quite right. I spoke with the kitchen help and they insisted that their use of spices and of au-jus on the meat is authentic to Philadelphia style cheesesteaks. When I argued that while it was a tasty addition, but not authentic the staff got very indignant. Go figure. (But they should know not to argue with a Jersey girl born in Philly. Yer never gonna win a disagreement with me. The bottom line is that in Philly people can't agree on what is authentic, so there is nothing anyone in the midwest can do to convince everyone that their sandwhiches are authentic. See my Philly cheesteak tip for more about this.) None-the-less, it's a very good sandwich which I would eat again, but I will not acquiesce and call it an authentic Philly cheesesteak. :P

Favorite Dish: Open Monday through Saturday from 11am to 8pm. Available for catering.

• Strouds: Homestyle cookin

by HJ_ Written Aug 12, 2004

This place has great home style cookin. It feels like you are eating in the kitchen of someones house. They serve the sides in big bowls for everyone. mash potatoes, green beans and corn and ect. It specializes in pan fried chicken but also serves sandwiches and catfish. The atmosphere is also great and there is someone usually playing the piano while you eat.

Favorite Dish: Be sure and try the cinnamon rolls.

Instant Answers: Kansas City