Fine Dining, Kansas City

• AlbuqRay's Profile Photo

Cafe Trio: Was Papagallos, Then Cafe Trio, Now Moved

by AlbuqRay Updated May 31, 2012
    Fine Dining and Entertainment

I retired for good on 1 September 2010 and no longer go to Kansas City. In May 2012 I was looking for a hotel for a colleague and noticed that the Cafe Trio had moved to the east side of the Country Club Plaza. I put the new address and web page here. I think a restaurant called the Graffiti Cafe had opened in the historic Congress Building location but is already out of business. Since I have not been to the new location, these are still the old pictures.

I go to Kansas City a few times a year on business but usually stay in Overland Park (south KC). There are many good restaurants there. Occasionally I stay near the Country Club Plaza. One of the good restaurants in that area was Papagallos in the Midtown area north of Country Club Plaza, located in the historic Congress Building at Broadway and Knickerbocker Place.

It had been a while (obviously like three years) since I had been to Papagallos. I convinced my colleagues to try it but when we got there it was now the Cafe Trio (and had been for ~2.5 years...how time flies). Of course, we decided to try the new restaurant and we were very glad we did. Although it was slow in coming, the food was outstanding and definitely worth the wait. If you have time for a leisurely meal, I highly recommend this restaurant. There is also a bar and entertainment on the weekends. Don't forget that there is free indoor parking too. Outdoor dining is available in the summer.

Favorite Dish: The roasted rack of lamb encrusted with a blend of spices and stone ground mustard was excellent. My Chicken Fontina was outstanding. However, you could get the Seafood Trio (salmon, prawns and scallops) with a side of delicious grilled vegetables and two people could have a feast for the price of one.

Instant Answers: Kansas City