Spanish, Kansas City

• asturnut's Profile Photo

La Bodega: Authentic Spanish Tapas

by asturnut Updated Dec 28, 2004

Trendy La Bodega

I found La Bodega on the intenet. So when we got there I had no idea what to expect. When I got out of the car I was a little worried because the neighborhood didn't look very good. But when I entered the restaurant, all my fears were alayed. It's a beautiful restaurant. The ambiance captures the essence of chic Spain. La Bodega a best kept secret and an absolute gem.

You should read about the premise for the restaurant on their website. La Bodega is all about tapas and wine. Don't go there expecting to eat a traditional meal. Other than paella and a 3 or 4 fish dishes, they don't offer "meals." Go to La Bodega with friends to drink fine wine and graze, for hours! The tapas are unspeakably good.

Update: Since I first discovered the restaurant in 2002, my stepmom has informed me that La Bodega is now one of the hottest spots to eat in KC.

Favorite Dish: While the portions are somewhat small, if you count on 3 plates per person, with everyone sharing, you can figure out approximately how much to order. We ordered the following (taken directly from the menu- nothing else needs to be said, except DELICIOUS!):

Jamon Iberico- Spanish serran ham with manchego cheese on tomato bread
    Ensalada de Pollo con Curri- Chicken breast salad with curry, mayo and grapes (I would skip this next time)
    Esparragos y Salmon Ahumado-Asparagus spears wrapped in smoked salmon.
    Pincho de Pollo y Chorizo- Skewered chicken & chorizo with garlic cumin allioli.
    Queso de Cabra al Horno- Goat cheese baked in tomato sauce with garlic bread (MY FAVORITE! YUMMY!!!)
    Albondigas Caseras-Meatballs in a spicy garlic cream sauce.
    Solomillo con Cabrales- Grilled beef tenderloin crusted with Spanish bleu cheese. (ABSOLUTELY AMAZING!)
    Patatas Bravas- Potatoes in a spicy tomato sauce (I would skip these too, too spicy)
    Croquetas de Jamon y Queso- Ham & cheese croquettes, with red pepper allioli (Gooood!)
    Alcachofas y Jamon con Allioli- Breaded artichoke hearts wrapped with ham.

Instant Answers: Kansas City