Thai Food, Kansas City

The Portions are Generous
  • You Must Try The Spring Rolls Very Fresh and Good
    You Must Try The Spring Rolls Very Fresh...
    A Nice Clean Table
  • RoscoeGregg's Profile Photo

Pad Thai Resturant: Very Good Locally Owned Thai Food

by RoscoeGregg Written Nov 3, 2013
    You Must Try The Spring Rolls Very Fresh and Good

This is one of those places that you find in America that is tucked into a faceless strip mall. Do not be put off by this. It is well worth the stop.

This restaurant is actually in Overland Park. I view Kansas City as a whole and do not care about the internal divisions all that much. So if you are in the southwest end of town I recommend that you give this place a try.

The staff is family and very friendly. The restaurant is cozy with outdoor seating. That is a hard thing to find in a strip mall. It is clean and accessible.

We have eaten here several times as a treat when we are heading back to the farm after a day of running errands. We have never been disappointed.

Favorite Dish: The spring rolls are very good. I have had the curry and the pad Thai. Both were great. Barbara is a vegetarian and the staff was very ready to take care of her needs. I do not remember what Barbara orders but I know she liked it very much.

So stop in and give some nice local people a chance to provide you a great meal.

• Business Travel

• RoscoeGregg's Profile Photo

Lulu's Thai Noodle Shop & Satay Bar: Good Curry And Noodles

by RoscoeGregg Updated Apr 4, 2011

Barbara tucks in

This is a very nice casual and friendly restaurant. It is clean and is always well staffed. The dishes tend to be very fresh and very well presented. The portions are more than adequate for me.

It is open and airy. It is located in an old building and the design takes good advantage. It is a great atmosphere for a first date, A night out with your honey or lunch or dinner with friends.

It is accessible and vegetarian friendly.

They take reservations this is a good idea for lunch if you are in a hurry. They close from 3:00 to 5:00 in the afternoon. They are closed on Sunday. They are at the edge of the First Fridays Event so on the first Friday of each month call for a reservation.

Lulu's has moved to a larger space. Everything still stands . The food may even be better and the service remains very good.

Favorite Dish: The satay is nice but I usually go for the curries. They come from mild to hot. All of which are available with meat or tofu for vegetarian. I like them all.

• asturnut's Profile Photo

Malay Cafe: Thai without the burn- soooo good!

by asturnut Updated Dec 28, 2004

Royal Almond Chicken

The Malay Cafe is a delightful suprise. It's a small kitschy restaurant tucked into the endless landscape of strip malls on Barry Road. But the location and appearance belie the culinary experience that awaits you!

Malaysian food is similar in content and flavor to Thai food without the signature burn that some people find off-putting. The chef/owner Alison has mastered the complex and subtle flavors of Malaysian cusine.

Favorite Dish: We began our dinner with Spring and Summer rolls. The fried Spring Roll was amazingly light with a dainty filling of meat, cabbage and rice vermicelli. The gracious bowl of "Soup Noodle" I enjoyed with my daughter could have fed an entire family. The light chicken broth was complemented with lemon grass, homemade noodles and a delicious assortment of vegetables. For the first time in my life I experienced a "light" vegetable curry that was so delicious! Although it was only a sidedish, I could have enjoyed it alone and had been satisfied. My main course, Royal Almond Chicken (almond crusted fried chicken bites in coconut sauce) was just beyond words. You'll have to try it for yourself.

Lunch special is a great deal- $6.95 for an entree and the wonderful House Soup.

Summary: Yum. Impeccible service. Oustanding food. Cheap.

Usually when I travel, I do not return to the same place again, but I always visit the Malay Cafe multiple times when I am in KC.

Instant Answers: Kansas City