Kansas City Warnings and Dangers

Cage to get into Elevator
    by BruceDunning
    People coming back from fright
    by BruceDunning
    Real cage bars to hold you in

Best Rated Warnings and Dangers in Kansas City

• aphrodyte's Profile Photo

The Grandview Tri is like the Bermuda Triangle!

by aphrodyte Updated Jul 1, 2003

The Triangle when it's not so busy.

On the Missouri side where I-435 north/south, meets I-435 east/west, meets hwy 71and I-470. There is a little spot we locals call "The Grandview Triangle".

Currently it has been under construction for about 1 1/2 years now, (they say they will finish in 2006 or something like that) and the traffic has been a little better but not much. The congestion starts around 3pm and sometimes if you're unlucky, it stays congested until 6:30 or 7pm.

Most of the congestion in the morning is on Hwy 71 and I-470 same problem in the afternoon. I-435 east heading into the triangle is messy. Once you're sucked in, its about a 2 mile stretch of misery heading into the triangle, heading north on I-435 is a breeze, (until you hit more construction after gregory blvd.

• West Port and The Plaza

by malalaura Written Feb 19, 2004

The Plaza used to be a nice area to stroll and admire the shops. Within the past 2-3 years or so it has become a haven for crimes such as thefts, muggings, robberies, car break ins, and purse snatchings. Be careful. Also avoid the "homeless" people down there. Rumor has it they are not really homeless and they will harass you. Just ignore them and keep walking. Also I would be careful in West Port after dark. West Port used to be a fun place to go clubbing. Lately you always hear about people getting shot and stabbed outside of the clubs, usually drug related. There are cops everywhere which should tell you something. I would definately still visit the plaza and West Port if you are in KC, they are both beautiful places to see, just be careful, stay smart, be aware of your surroundings, and don't go alone. Areas to avoid completely that tend to make frequent negative news headlines are Kansas City Kansas (not Missouri) and the West Bottoms.

• BruceDunning's Profile Photo

Liberty Memorial has Many Upward Steps

by BruceDunning Updated Mar 24, 2009

Cage to get into Elevator

There are 42 steps besides the 200 feet elevator trip to get to the top. The elevator is somewhat cramped at max of 10 people per time. It is retro looking, but I guess must be redone for safety?? They allow only around 20 on top at a time due to maybe being to heavy??

• shdw100's Profile Photo

VT Addict

by shdw100 Written Aug 18, 2003

Well, the warning is that VT is addicting, and I am definately an addict.
    The danger is that I usually hook into VT at work, so have to be careful of the boss!
    Usually when I login to VT, this is where I do it from, here in cubicle-land, earphones ready for the next boring conference call!

• Re: The Real Scoop on Kansas City

by eppersonjm Written Mar 21, 2013

• For those who say that East of Holmes is dangerous and that if you go to the Plaza and Westport as if you want to take the risk are most likely from the suburbs and have no idea how if really is in the city. They tend to base their opinions off of other peoples' stories and then create a stigma in people’s minds. Yes, East of troost is not the best place to be but those who don't live it the city wouldn't know of the cool places to go on south troost; so much that even a bald white guy like myself can go to. My tip to anyone visiting the city is to discover KC for yourself and don't be afraid but know where you are going and act like you belong. If you're paranoid then people will notice and you make yourself into a target. As you move west of Troost it gets nicer and there are some really cool places in midtown and down town KC. KC is changing a lot; this city is moving in reverse of the white flight movement of the 60's and 70's. KC is becoming more diverse and more unique with its restaurants, shopping and art district. So go and find out for yourself! Enjoy!

• Kansas city's not that bad

by mrfriday Written Sep 15, 2007

The Plaza is actually quite nice, unlike what others have said. Westport isn't that bad, neither is the West Bottoms. Use common sense wherever you go. Don't overlook the Crossroads district. Love the people who don't look like you. The City Market is very cool as well. Troost is rough, but it's slowly on the rebound, thanks to the arts community expanding into that area. Prospect is still pretty bad....STAY AWAY FROM JOHNSON COUNTY, KANSAS!!!! There's crazy, derainged drivers over there that think they are entitled to go at least 30 mph over the limit, switch lanes at will with no signal....entitled is the key word here... and if you're a jogger, be prepared to get flashed by some perv....
    So let's go over this one more time.....East KC somewhat dangerous, West KC okay, Downtown KC ROCKIN!!, and the suburbs are filled with spastic yuppies who are afraid of the shadow beneath them.

• JEH15343's Profile Photo

Prospect and Troost

by JEH15343 Written Jun 14, 2007

There are no safe places on either of these streets. So if you are going somewhere on either of these streets, take someone else with you. Unfortunately these places are starting to decay, and have been for sometime. I want to express, not all the people in this area are bad, but there are a lot of drugs, prostitutes, and crime on these two streets and on the streets in between.

• dishman's Profile Photo

Crime and Downtown

by dishman Written Feb 23, 2008

I have lived in the Kansas City area my whole life. The people here are very nice for the most part. Johnson County Kansas is "the rich area" and is full of snobs but is best if you don't want to risk getting lost in the hood trying to find the nice 5-star hotel you reserved downtown. South Kansas City is probably the safest in my opinion (other then the suburbs). Downtown is abandoned after dark, so getting around should not be a problem if you are traveling through the city at that time. The areas that are super dangerous you don't have any purpose being in anyway, because there is nothing of interest there...the eastern half of Kansas City, before the Stadiums on I-70 is very rundown with high crime. Other then perhaps the need for Gas, you will should not take the Prospect or Paseo exits unless you are from here and you know what you might be driving into. The oldest parts of the city are around there, and can be intimidating to someone not from here. The BBQ in the summer (my favorite is Gates) is the best when consumed with a strong dark beer and plenty of bread for the sauce. This really is a beautiful city, and the crime is not as bad as some may think.

• The Real Scoop on Kansas City

by ChrisSThomas Written Sep 13, 2012

I have lived in Kansas City all my life and know it all. Inside the 435 loop, the entire east side of Kansas city east of Holmes is high crime especially near Troost and Prospect. Dont risk your life to go to any club, music venue, anything on KCMO east side including 18th and Vine district. On the Kansas side of state line, Kansas City Kansas and surrounding areas are very high crime also.

Outside the 435 loop, SE Kansas City Missouri, Grandview and Raytown are very high crime as well and you risk being mugged, shot, robbed at any time day or night.

Downtown Kansas City has improved quite a bit over the last 10 years but you still run a very high risk of crime there too. But as I said it is much better now than in the past.

Westport and the Country Club Plaza are still great places to visit for dining and relaxation. They are good enough to probably take the risk. Park in well traveled areas and look around you for guys that are watching you or coming close to you. The young east side thugs and street hoods pray on victims there quite a bit. Muggings, rapes, shootings. If you hae CCW permit, take your gun with you.

Personally, even though I grew up in Kansas City, I don't go thee too much as I know I run risk of violent crime when I am there.

• donovanel's Profile Photo

USE THE COAT CHECK!! :( We...

by donovanel Written Aug 25, 2002

USE THE COAT CHECK!! :( We thought we were safe leaving our jackets in a booth at Have A Nice Day Cafe with a pregnant woman to watch them...we were wrong!!! We kept periodically checking back and they were always there until the very end of the nite...mental note to self: be cautious of pregnant women!! The picture is not from KC, but I am wearing the jacket that was stolen--man, it was my favorite too! If anyone has any information leading to the recovery of this jacket, I will be eternally grateful and will buy you a beer or 7.

• brdwtchr's Profile Photo

WHAT NOT TO SAY TO A POLICE...

by brdwtchr Written Aug 25, 2002

WHAT NOT TO SAY TO A POLICE OFFICER!
    1. I can't reach my license unless you hold my beer.
    2. Sorry, Officer, I didn't realize my radar detector wasn't plugged in.
    3. Aren't you the guy from the Village People?
    4. Hey, you must've been doin' about 125 mph to keep up with me. Good job!
    5. Are You Andy or Barney?
    6. I thought you had to be in relatively good physical condition to be a police officer.
    7. You're not gonna check the trunk, are you?
    8. I pay your salary!
    9. Gee, Officer! That's terrific. The last officer only gave me a warning, too!
    10. Do you know why you pulled me over? Okay, just so one of us does.
    11. I was trying to keep up with traffic. Yes, I know there are no other cars around. That's how far ahead of me they are.
    12. When the Officer says 'Gee Son....Your eyes look red, have you been drinking?' You probably shouldn't respond with,'Gee Officer your eyes look glazed, have you been eating doughnuts?'

• TheFish's Profile Photo

WATCH OUT FOR THE GIANT...

by TheFish Written Aug 24, 2002

WATCH OUT FOR THE GIANT SHUTTLECOCKS!

for some unknown reason, a few years back the nelson-atkins art museum in kansas city decided to invest in giant shuttlecocks for their lawn. (some people buy shrubbery, they bought very large sports equipment...) if you can't tell they're about ten feet high. they're on the lawn on the other side as well. supposedly it's that the building is the net... how interesting.

• TheFish's Profile Photo

there is an area in kansas...

by TheFish Written Aug 24, 2002

there is an area in kansas city known as the west bottoms. this is pq it is near a river, on the west side. we're great at naming things. then again, with the way everything else in the area is named, i'm surprised they're not on the east side.

anyway, the west bottoms are notorious for being a bad area. if you go there, take a car. or a large dog. or a gun. or all three. (why not? i'm sure someone else will do the same thing.) also, they keep catching on fire. the past few years there's a huge annual fire down there, with real buildings burning and stuff. so perhaps if you go it would be best to take a bucket of water as well.

Instant Answers: Kansas City

• Mar 21, 2013 at 8:50 AM

For those who say that East of Holmes is dangerous and that if you go to the Plaza and Westport as if you want to take the risk are most likely from the suburbs and have no idea how if really is in the city. They tend to base there opinions off of other peoples' stories and then create a stigma in peoples minds. Yes, East of troost is not the best place to be but those who don't live it the city wouldn't know of the cool places to go on south troost; so much that even a bald white guy like my self can go to. My tip to anyone vistiting the city is to discover KC for yourself and don't be afraid but know where you are going and act like you belong. If you're paranoid then people will notice and you make yourself into a target. As you move west of Troost it gets nicer and there are some really cool places in midtown and down town KC. KC is changing alot; this city is moving in reverse of the white flight movement of the 60's and 70's. KC is becoming more diverse and more unique with its restaurants, shopping and art district. So go and find out for yourself! Enjoy!

Kansas City Warnings and Dangers

Reviews and photos of Kansas City warnings and dangers posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Kansas City sightseeing.