The Maul House is the Kimmswick Visitors Center, and before you do anything else, stop by and pick up Kimmswick brochures, bottled water or a soda, use the public restrooms, and perhps purchase a souvenir or a T-Shirt.
The Maul House was the home of the Black school teacher in the town. It was built of Kimmswick bricks in 1872 and was originally two stories. The Mauls raised 13 children in this small house!
The Kimmswick Post Office has been in continuous operation since the day it opened on April 22, 1858. It has moved to other places since it was established, but it returned to this location in 1974.
The founder of Kimmswick, Theodore Kimm, was appointed Kimmswick's first Postmaster in 1858. Before that time, the mail was delivered two miles down the Mississippi River to Sulphur Springs Landing and used that post mark.
Today, the Kemmswick Post Office is in business for the residences and businesses in town, and letters are still CANCELED BY HAND!
The Barbagallo House was the third log building to be moved to Kimmswick to be restored. In 1975, this building was on Green Park Road in St. Louis County and was about to be torn down to make room for something industrial. The Barbagallo family then gave the home to Kimmswick to move. It was taken down, and the logs were numbered; this process took two months to take down. It was rebuilt on a new foundation and was then restored. It is a Missouri-French style and dog trot.
The first two rooms, one on each end with a roof over a space between the two rooms is called DOG TROT and was said to date from Revolutionary times.
Today, this house is a Wine and Cheese Shop.