Places to eat in Missouri

• The mac n cheese, crayola cup, and placemats
    The mac n cheese, crayola cup, and...
    Working on our placemats
    by ArenJo
    My son drinking from his new crayon cup

Most Viewed Restaurants in Missouri

• Bwana_Brown's Profile Photo

Lockwood Drive-In & Pizza: Back Down to Earth!

by Bwana_Brown Written Dec 9, 2004

By the time I had finished with my drive through nearby eastern Kansas and returned to southwestern Missouri, it was about 1:30 PM when I reached the small village of Lockwood. Situated on the edge of the Ozark Plateau, there was not much to the place, but I did happen to spot a small pizza joint as I was leaving town and headed for the 'Lakes' area further into the state.

Favorite Dish: When I walked in the front door beside the bales of hay, I was the only customer. There were a couple of slices of pizza already made, so I ordered the Pepperoni one, 'to-go'. The total cost of the meal was $2.30, not counting the bottle of water that I had in the car. It looked like my glory days of eating in Missouri were over for sure!

The single slice held me for the rest of the day until I reached a point just east of Kansas City on I-70. A very tastey burger from Hardee's was my final meal of the day.

• Bwana_Brown's Profile Photo

Pierpont's Union Station: I'm Not Sure I Can Keep This Up!

by Bwana_Brown Updated Nov 27, 2004

The night following our meal at Peppercorn Duck, I was part of a small group of six who ventured out of the hotel to do a little bit of exploring while we were in Kansas City. We first tried the Westin hotel roof-top restaurant but the waiting time was over an hour. As a result, we continued our wanderings, eventually winding up at Pierpont's in the magnificent Union Station building.

Although they practise 'The Art of Casual Elegance' there was no waiting to get in there. I was impressed with their huge stock of bottles behind the bar, covering the whole wall and with a sliding ladder required to access it's far reaches!

Favorite Dish: For me, this meal started with a Soup & Salad dish called Blue Crab-Sweet Corn Bisque (US$7), made with jumbo lump crab meat and herb oil. It was delicious.

Then, it was on to their 'signature' dishes, where I selected Smoked Pork Chops (US$13). These were pan-seared and topped with cranberry-vermouth chutney and served with whipped potatoes and asperagus. That really hit the spot too.

Once again, we were into the red wines, resulting in a final cost of $48 each when we split the bill up!

• Bwana_Brown's Profile Photo

Peppercorn Duck Club: Went to Town This Night!

by Bwana_Brown Updated Nov 27, 2004

This is the fine dining restaurant in the Hyatt Regency, noted for it's rotisserie duckling, grilled veal chop, oven-roasted rack of lamb and honey-roasted pheasant. They are also noted for the Ultra Chocolate dessert bar where a rich selection of chocolate dishes is prepared by their pastry chef.

Because I ate there in company with about 15 others from the northeastern part of North America who were also attending the 2-day meetings, the meal cost was paid by an organization that will remain unnamed! The restaurant has won many awards and I can see why.

Favorite Dish: For a Starter, I enjoyed Tennessee Whiskey Shrimp ($14), sauteed and simmered in a whiskey cream sauce. Moving on to the Entree, the Rocky Mountain Roasted Rainbow Trout (US$32) sounded good to me! This dish consisted of trout filled with crabmeat, spinach, saffron cous-cous and a beurre blanc sauce.

During the meal, the restaurant sommelier kept the tables well-supplied with various bottles of Australian reds and I finished off with a small glass of port wine. Showing great restraint, I skipped dessert!

Terrace Restaurant: Breakfast at the Hyatt

by Bwana_Brown Updated Nov 27, 2004

Located on the second floor of the Hyatt Regency Crown Center hotel and just above the Main Lobby, the Terrace Restaurant was a nice place to have a bite to eat in the morning before my meetings started. Because there were always other delegates already seated here and there, it was possible to just join them without waiting in the official line-up for seating.

Favorite Dish: Although their buffet service provided for a full cooked breakfast, I kept things light with meusli, fresh fruit and yoghurt as well as a cup of coffee. Even with this meagre fare, the price came to US$12 with a tip! Still, there were plenty of choices available and the service was efficient.

Zoey's Mediterranean Cuisine: Fine Dining In The Most Unexpected Place

by deecat Written May 14, 2004

While staying at a Time Share near Branson, Missouri, Allan and I were driving around the area and saw a sign that readZOEY'S MEDITERRANEAN CUISINE, so we stopped to investigate. It was not open, but the menu was posted, and we could look inside. It was very elegant inside and the menu was excellent. When we returned to our Time Share, we called and made reservations for that night. We were going to one of the shows in Branson at eight so we made reservations for six.
    We were startled to see such a fine restaurant out about ten miles from Branson.
    We discovered that it is a family-owned and operated restaurant which serves authentic Greek food. There were fresh flowers on the tables, candle light, divine food, excellent service, and elegant ambience.

Favorite Dish: Allan loves lamb, so he ordered leg of lamb, which was tender and delicious with all the trimmings. We both had great Greek salads and shared a dessert. The wine list was extensive, and we enjoyed the one that we selected.
    It was a lovely dinner; one to remember.

• Seniors

• deecat's Profile Photo

Ted Drewes Frozen Custard or Sara's Ice Cream: Ice Cream or Custard?

by deecat Written May 11, 2004

An old 1950's "walk-up kind of place" pretty well describes Ted Drewes Frozen Custard in St. Louis. It's been a favorite in St. Louis since 1929 (Ted's father started it).
    The shakes are so thick that it is called "concrete" and will probably be served to you by a server who wears a hard hat and holds the shake upside down to prove how very thick it is.

OR
    You can relish the ice cream at Sara's Ice Cream & Antiques in Sainte Genevieve.
    It, too, is an old fashioned kind of place with a soda fountain and incredibly friendly servers.

Favorite Dish: Favorite thing for me at Ted Drewes Frozen Custard is called "Foxtreat" made with custard, fudge sauce, raspberries, and macadamia nuts. YUM!

Favorite thing for me at Sara's Ice Cream & Antiques is the handmade Drumstick made with chocolate ice cream in a homemade waffle cone with chocolate fudge hardened all over the ice cream and pecans imbeded into the chocolate fudge! YUM!

• Architecture

Tony"s Restaurant, Saint Louis: I Waited 30 Years To Come Again

by deecat Updated May 11, 2004

Thirty years ago, my husband Allan and I visited Saint Louis and ate at Tony's Restaurant. Thirty years later, Jill and I ate at Tony's, but in a new location (and a better location, I might add). Allan and I had never stopped "raving" about the delicious food and incredible service. The second time around, the food was just as delicious and the service was as grand as I had remembered.
    Reservations are a must.
    Three people took care of Jill and I. Our every need was looked after. Everything on the menu is alcarte; the prices are steep, but after tasting the food, you'll understand why.

Favorite Dish: Jill ate Dover Sole in Lemon Sauce, a special salad, and a side order of Spinach. I ate a Filet Mignon in a wine sauce, the wonderful Tony's Salad, and a side order of spinach. The food was completed tableside. All of the food was perfect. We finished the meal by splitting a decadent chocolate dessert and a rich, steaming-hot cup of coffee. Tony's Restaurant is fine dining at its best.

Bartolino's: St. Louis Italian

by Ky_Happy_Dad Written Nov 29, 2003

One great thing about visiting St. Louis is the many great Italian restaurants on the section of town known as "the Hill."

I chose Bartolino's because it is a family restaurant that has been around for many years. The food was delicious. I had spaghetti. The sauce was as good or better than any Italian restaurant I have ever eaten before.

I'm envious of the people of St. Louis who can choose among many quality Italian restaurants.

Favorite Dish: spaghetti. The sauce was excellent.

• Ky_Happy_Dad's Profile Photo

Lamberts: Home of the "Throwed Rolls"

by Ky_Happy_Dad Updated Nov 29, 2003

Lamberts is a huge restaurant with food similar to the Cracker Barrell chain. The gimick for this restaurant is the waiters throw rolls to customers. This is fun for children who are suprised by the experience. Bring your appetite. The serving portions are generous. In fact, the Travel Channel television network had a show on the top 10 places to "pig out." Lambert's was voted number one.

Favorite Dish: My favorite thing about this restaurant is the waiters contstantly pass things around the table just like at home at Thanksgiving. You can take your pick of the pass arounds at no extra charge.

Winfields: Eminence surprise

by Ky_Happy_Dad Written Nov 29, 2003

After floating the Current River we were hungry and ready to eat anywhere. We were suprised to find a nice restaurant with an old fashioned antique soda fountain and bakery. The items off the menu were also good.

Besides the restaurant, the owners have a general store adjoining the restaruant and the basement has a saloon with a century old bar.

Eminence is a sleepy town of 548 which boasts more canoes available for rent than people. Each year, 1.5 million canoeists, campers, fishermen, hikers, hunters, and horseback riders come through Eminence to take advantage of the natural clear flowing Current and Jacks Fork rivers.

Favorite Dish: The old fashioned ice cream soda tasted especially great after a day of floating on the Current River.

• Gloriann's Profile Photo

LAMBERTS: throwed rolls

by Gloriann Written Jun 11, 2003

You must stop in either Sikeston or Ozark, Missouri and have a delicious hot meal at LAMBERTS restaurant where they are known for throwing hot rolls at the customers. I know this sounds strange, but believe me the atmosphere is fun and those rolls are the BEST I have ever tasted! The waiters and waitresses also go around filling your plates with other hot foods if you want more. It's an all-you-can-eat sort of place, but they come to your table and bring you all the food you can eat.

Favorite Dish: chicken fried steak

Stone Hill Winery: A good way to get an appetite

by suzanka46 Written Nov 11, 2002

Not a restaurant but we did the last tour of the day and then went to eat after.--one hour tour and winetasting with a group of tourists who you don't know at the beginning but due to the sipping of the various wines you definitly know at the end.They are generous on the amount they let you try.it was a fun time and we ended up buying several bottles(I wonder why?)

Favorite Dish: The WINE--

Too many to mention: Ozark cooking at Buffets

by suzanka46 Written Nov 11, 2002

The whole area specializes in good home cooking featuring catfish,okra,baked beans,ham and more.There are a lot of buffets restaurants-many at the motels and inns.

Favorite Dish: NOT CATFISH-must have been caught in the local lake--it tasted musty-BUT--I like the ham ,okra and smashed potatoes

Showboat Branson Belle: Dinner on a steamboat

by suzanka46 Written Nov 11, 2002

Take a 2 hour cruise on the lake--eat dinner and see a show while eating.This is a 1800's paddlewheel--open summer months only.We enjoyed it very much but really did not have enough time to eat ,see the show and view the lake from the deck.

Favorite Dish: I don't remember the food but it was good.

Lambert's Cafe: Throwed Rolls

by suzanka46 Written Nov 11, 2002

This is our favorite as we are are heading into Branson-the food is Ozark cooking and it is so popular there is often an hour wait to get in but worth it The waiters come around with large pots of southern dishes such as Okra>Blackstrap molasses baked beans and smashed potatoes.Your meal is served in cast iron frying pans and boy is it good.They come around with melt in your mouth rolls and throw them at you across the room.

Favorite Dish: The throwed rolls of course.

Missouri Hotels

13 Reviews - 29 Photos
Springfield Hotels
146 Reviews - 158 Photos

Instant Answers: Missouri

Comments

Missouri Restaurants

Reviews and photos of Missouri restaurants posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Missouri sightseeing.
Map of Missouri