Places to eat in Missouri

• Restaurants
    by TravellerMel
  • Restaurants
    by TravellerMel
  • The mac n cheese, crayola cup, and placemats
    The mac n cheese, crayola cup, and...
    by ArenJo

Most Viewed Restaurants in Missouri

• deecat's Profile Photo

Ted Drewes Frozen Custard or Sara's Ice Cream: Ice Cream or Custard?

by deecat Written May 11, 2004

An old 1950's "walk-up kind of place" pretty well describes Ted Drewes Frozen Custard in St. Louis. It's been a favorite in St. Louis since 1929 (Ted's father started it).
    The shakes are so thick that it is called "concrete" and will probably be served to you by a server who wears a hard hat and holds the shake upside down to prove how very thick it is.

OR
    You can relish the ice cream at Sara's Ice Cream & Antiques in Sainte Genevieve.
    It, too, is an old fashioned kind of place with a soda fountain and incredibly friendly servers.

Favorite Dish: Favorite thing for me at Ted Drewes Frozen Custard is called "Foxtreat" made with custard, fudge sauce, raspberries, and macadamia nuts. YUM!

Favorite thing for me at Sara's Ice Cream & Antiques is the handmade Drumstick made with chocolate ice cream in a homemade waffle cone with chocolate fudge hardened all over the ice cream and pecans imbeded into the chocolate fudge! YUM!

Dee Eating Drumstick at Sara's Ice Cream
    • Architecture

Zoey's Mediterranean Cuisine: Fine Dining In The Most Unexpected Place

by deecat Written May 14, 2004

While staying at a Time Share near Branson, Missouri, Allan and I were driving around the area and saw a sign that readZOEY'S MEDITERRANEAN CUISINE, so we stopped to investigate. It was not open, but the menu was posted, and we could look inside. It was very elegant inside and the menu was excellent. When we returned to our Time Share, we called and made reservations for that night. We were going to one of the shows in Branson at eight so we made reservations for six.
    We were startled to see such a fine restaurant out about ten miles from Branson.
    We discovered that it is a family-owned and operated restaurant which serves authentic Greek food. There were fresh flowers on the tables, candle light, divine food, excellent service, and elegant ambience.

Favorite Dish: Allan loves lamb, so he ordered leg of lamb, which was tender and delicious with all the trimmings. We both had great Greek salads and shared a dessert. The wine list was extensive, and we enjoyed the one that we selected.
    It was a lovely dinner; one to remember.

Allan and Dee at Zoey's in Branson, Missouri
    • Seniors

Tony"s Restaurant, Saint Louis: I Waited 30 Years To Come Again

by deecat Updated May 11, 2004

Thirty years ago, my husband Allan and I visited Saint Louis and ate at Tony's Restaurant. Thirty years later, Jill and I ate at Tony's, but in a new location (and a better location, I might add). Allan and I had never stopped "raving" about the delicious food and incredible service. The second time around, the food was just as delicious and the service was as grand as I had remembered.
    Reservations are a must.
    Three people took care of Jill and I. Our every need was looked after. Everything on the menu is alcarte; the prices are steep, but after tasting the food, you'll understand why.

Favorite Dish: Jill ate Dover Sole in Lemon Sauce, a special salad, and a side order of Spinach. I ate a Filet Mignon in a wine sauce, the wonderful Tony's Salad, and a side order of spinach. The food was completed tableside. All of the food was perfect. We finished the meal by splitting a decadent chocolate dessert and a rich, steaming-hot cup of coffee. Tony's Restaurant is fine dining at its best.

Dee at Tony's

• Bwana_Brown's Profile Photo

Peppercorn Duck Club: Went to Town This Night!

by Bwana_Brown Updated Nov 27, 2004

This is the fine dining restaurant in the Hyatt Regency, noted for it's rotisserie duckling, grilled veal chop, oven-roasted rack of lamb and honey-roasted pheasant. They are also noted for the Ultra Chocolate dessert bar where a rich selection of chocolate dishes is prepared by their pastry chef.

Because I ate there in company with about 15 others from the northeastern part of North America who were also attending the 2-day meetings, the meal cost was paid by an organization that will remain unnamed! The restaurant has won many awards and I can see why.

Favorite Dish: For a Starter, I enjoyed Tennessee Whiskey Shrimp ($14), sauteed and simmered in a whiskey cream sauce. Moving on to the Entree, the Rocky Mountain Roasted Rainbow Trout (US$32) sounded good to me! This dish consisted of trout filled with crabmeat, spinach, saffron cous-cous and a beurre blanc sauce.

During the meal, the restaurant sommelier kept the tables well-supplied with various bottles of Australian reds and I finished off with a small glass of port wine. Showing great restraint, I skipped dessert!

Peppercorn Duck Club Entrance

• Bwana_Brown's Profile Photo

Pierpont's Union Station: I'm Not Sure I Can Keep This Up!

by Bwana_Brown Updated Nov 27, 2004

The night following our meal at Peppercorn Duck, I was part of a small group of six who ventured out of the hotel to do a little bit of exploring while we were in Kansas City. We first tried the Westin hotel roof-top restaurant but the waiting time was over an hour. As a result, we continued our wanderings, eventually winding up at Pierpont's in the magnificent Union Station building.

Although they practise 'The Art of Casual Elegance' there was no waiting to get in there. I was impressed with their huge stock of bottles behind the bar, covering the whole wall and with a sliding ladder required to access it's far reaches!

Favorite Dish: For me, this meal started with a Soup & Salad dish called Blue Crab-Sweet Corn Bisque (US$7), made with jumbo lump crab meat and herb oil. It was delicious.

Then, it was on to their 'signature' dishes, where I selected Smoked Pork Chops (US$13). These were pan-seared and topped with cranberry-vermouth chutney and served with whipped potatoes and asperagus. That really hit the spot too.

Once again, we were into the red wines, resulting in a final cost of $48 each when we split the bill up!

Pierpont's Bar & Bottle Racks

Terrace Restaurant: Breakfast at the Hyatt

by Bwana_Brown Updated Nov 27, 2004

Located on the second floor of the Hyatt Regency Crown Center hotel and just above the Main Lobby, the Terrace Restaurant was a nice place to have a bite to eat in the morning before my meetings started. Because there were always other delegates already seated here and there, it was possible to just join them without waiting in the official line-up for seating.

Favorite Dish: Although their buffet service provided for a full cooked breakfast, I kept things light with meusli, fresh fruit and yoghurt as well as a cup of coffee. Even with this meagre fare, the price came to US$12 with a tip! Still, there were plenty of choices available and the service was efficient.

Terrace Restaurant

Talayna's: Italian Restaurant in St. Charles, Missouri

by deecat Updated Nov 1, 2005

While staying overnight in St. Charles, Missouri, Allan and I walked both sides of the mile-long Main Street. While walking, we kept an eye open for a place to eat. We saw two couples coming out of a restaurant and ask them about the food. They raved about it, so we gave it a try.

I would not "rave" about the food [at least the pizza and salad] at Talayna's World Class Pizza.

The interesting thing about Talayna's is that they offer three kinds of pizza: Talayna's [thin crust, square cut, blend of five cheese's], New York Style PIzza [semi-thick dough, pie cut with all mozzarella cheese], Chicago Deep Pan Pizza [Thick Pan dough topped with chunky tomatoes, and all mozzarella cheese].

Since we could not take any pizza home with us at this time, we chose the St. Louis Style.
    We also ordered a Combination Salad [Provel Cheese, Tomato, Homemade Croutons, Pepperoncini, Greek & Italian Olives]. We shared the salad.

Also on the menu: appetizers such as cheese garlic bread, chicken wings, mozzarella sticks, french fries with cheese, and potato skins; Salads such as Talayna's Salad with Salami, Ham, Provel Cheese, Hard-Boiled Egg, Tomato, Homemade Croutons, Pepperconicini, Greek & Italian Olives; Caesar Salad; Walnut & Gorgonzola; or a Side Salad., Calzones stuffed with cheeses, green peppers and onions and served with red sauce on the side...either Italian Sausage or Meatball, Sandwiches such as Sirloin Burgers, Italian Sausage Parmigiano, Grilled Chicken Breast, Battered Cod Fillet, Italian Meat Bal, Ham, Turkey, Roast Beef, or a Sub, Italian Specialities such as Chicken Parmigiano, Lasagne, Cannelloni, Manicotti, Spaghetti, Baked Mostaccioli, Fettuccini Alfredo, Pasta con Broccoli, Tortellini, and Ravioli.

Favorite Dish: Although we were disappointed in our meal, it was not horrid. I'm sure if we had ordered the Chicago Style Pizza, we would have been satisfied.

One "cool" thing about the place was that we were seated by an Italian Fountain that made for a nice backdrop and background noise!

Allan eating pizza at Talayna's in St. Charles, Mi

• Bwana_Brown's Profile Photo

Lockwood Drive-In & Pizza: Back Down to Earth!

by Bwana_Brown Written Dec 9, 2004

By the time I had finished with my drive through nearby eastern Kansas and returned to southwestern Missouri, it was about 1:30 PM when I reached the small village of Lockwood. Situated on the edge of the Ozark Plateau, there was not much to the place, but I did happen to spot a small pizza joint as I was leaving town and headed for the 'Lakes' area further into the state.

Favorite Dish: When I walked in the front door beside the bales of hay, I was the only customer. There were a couple of slices of pizza already made, so I ordered the Pepperoni one, 'to-go'. The total cost of the meal was $2.30, not counting the bottle of water that I had in the car. It looked like my glory days of eating in Missouri were over for sure!

The single slice held me for the rest of the day until I reached a point just east of Kansas City on I-70. A very tastey burger from Hardee's was my final meal of the day.

Driving Away from the Main Entrance

• Ky_Happy_Dad's Profile Photo

Winfields: Eminence surprise

by Ky_Happy_Dad Written Nov 29, 2003

After floating the Current River we were hungry and ready to eat anywhere. We were suprised to find a nice restaurant with an old fashioned antique soda fountain and bakery. The items off the menu were also good.

Besides the restaurant, the owners have a general store adjoining the restaruant and the basement has a saloon with a century old bar.

Eminence is a sleepy town of 548 which boasts more canoes available for rent than people. Each year, 1.5 million canoeists, campers, fishermen, hikers, hunters, and horseback riders come through Eminence to take advantage of the natural clear flowing Current and Jacks Fork rivers.

Favorite Dish: The old fashioned ice cream soda tasted especially great after a day of floating on the Current River.

Winfields in Eminence

• suzanka46's Profile Photo

Stone Hill Winery: A good way to get an appetite

by suzanka46 Written Nov 11, 2002

Not a restaurant but we did the last tour of the day and then went to eat after.--one hour tour and winetasting with a group of tourists who you don't know at the beginning but due to the sipping of the various wines you definitly know at the end.They are generous on the amount they let you try.it was a fun time and we ended up buying several bottles(I wonder why?)

Favorite Dish: The WINE--

• mhughes33's Profile Photo

Zen and Saigon 39: Zen and Saigon 39

by mhughes33 Written Sep 7, 2002

Zen is nouveau and romantic...the chef named it after his favorite wine (guess)
    Saigon 39 is Vietnamese and owned by the family of a close friend of mine, but that is not why i suggest it!

Favorite Dish: Zen - Sea Bass and Lentils
    Saigon 39 - the spring rolls!!

• reon80's Profile Photo

Kings Buffet, Kirksville: Kings Buffet, Kirksville

by reon80 Updated Aug 26, 2002

This is a really good Chinese restaurant. Student discounts, but not too expensive the rest of the time, especially for lunch. And great food that you can have as much as you want of!

Favorite Dish: The buffet--I think it's the only choice!

• slabeaume's Profile Photo

Stephanina's: Stephanina's

by slabeaume Written Aug 26, 2002

This is another pizza parlor/restaurant owned by someone in my family. This one is my brother-in-law's restaurant. They do a thriving business here, but it's worth the wait.

Favorite Dish: Eveything, especially the pizza.

• Typ88's Profile Photo

Lambert's Cafe: Lambert's Cafe

by Typ88 Updated Aug 25, 2002

Lambert's is the home of the throwed rolls! Yes, right! The waiters don't serve the rolls to your table - no, they throw them across the room! And you have to catch them! Sometimes the rolls fly like bombs on the ground or tables, because somebody can't catch them. It's great fun!

Favorite Dish: When I was at Lambert's I tried the barbeque pork steak with coleslaw and potato salad. I liked the meat and the coleslaw, but not the potato salad. But you can choose from a variety of side dishes.

• Many fine resturants on both...

by sqwmama Updated Aug 26, 2002

Many fine resturants on both sides of the Lake East and West side all casual atmosphere and dress most on the water
    Most are on water with docks for your boat

Favorite Dish: All types crusine from big franchises to down home Fish Fry on Fridays

Missouri Hotels

15 Reviews - 30 Photos
Belton Hotels
2 Reviews - 3 Photos

Instant Answers: Missouri

Comments

Missouri Restaurants

Reviews and photos of Missouri restaurants posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Missouri sightseeing.
Map of Missouri