Saint Louis Nightlife

Nick's Pub
    by bocmaxima
    palace of dreams
    by yooperprof
    guardians of the sacred A/C unit
    by yooperprof

Best Rated Nightlife in Saint Louis

• LauraWest's Profile Photo

The U-City Loop Experience: Strolling Down Delmar

by LauraWest Updated Apr 17, 2005

Kevin Kline's Star

On any night, or day, people of all ages (mostly young) walk, eat and hang out here. Good places to eat, drink, hear music & many unique shops (see Vintage Vinyl, under Shopping) - from used books to modern furniture, original art, comics, shoes, new & used clothes to a huge variety of global imports - and the Tivoli, a great movie theater - create some reasons to come here. DiningTables, chess players & sax players on the sidewalks, this is a very urban scene. Everyone, even Families, feel welcome here.

Dress Code: Casual as you want it!
    Check out the " Walk of Fame", embedded in the sidewalk, too!! This photo is one of them; Kline is from St. Louis! Joe Edwards, the genius behind much of the success of this area also got the Walk started. Now he's working on a trolley bus link between the Loop & Forest Park. A few more million & we'll have it operating.

• Paulie_D's Profile Photo

Union Station: Union Station

by Paulie_D Updated Oct 26, 2003

Yes, I 'borrowed' this one.

If Laclede's Landing is the premier spot for entertainment in St Louis, then the old Union Station must run a close second.

It holds a wide range of shops together with over 20 restaurants including Aldos, All Star Diner, Hooters, Hard Rock Café, Houlihan's, Landry's Seafood House, MVP Sports Bar & Grill and the Route 66 Brewery & Restaurant.

Excellent for lunch.

I missed out on a full look round as I was pressed for time. Next time, I'll make sure I get to spend the evening.

• Any bar on the Landing: AHHH The Landing

by luckymantony Updated Mar 6, 2003

The Landing is located next to the Arch. It has all kinds of diffrent clubs to go to. There is one you have to go to and it's called, BAR. Bar st.louis to be specific, but the sign outside just says BAR. They have a drink there called the bar bomb. It tastes like gatorade, which means you dont taste ALL the alcohol in the drink. I wouldn't recomend more than one or two of these. They have a tendency to make you drunk real quick. All of the bars on the landing have some type of cover charge, unless you get there early, like say 7 or 8. Some are only a couple of dollars on up to about 5 dollars per person. The drinks inside some places are resonable. Your best bet for your money is to buy things like the bar bomb and mixed drinks like that. You get a lot for your money and on some nights they have 3 fers. Buy one and get 2 free. Thats always good. Beer and other drinks at some places get pricey real fast. So if your in a place that you like and the prices aren't too bad then stay there, or get your hand stamped so you get back in for free. In general it is always a good time there and the dancing is always fun. Check out www.stltoday.com and go to the night life section to get more info.

Dress Code: Some places make you tuck in your shirt. You can get away with jeans, sneakers, and a nice T-shirt. Most people you see down there are in jeans, nice dress shirts, and either nice sneakers or some other kind of brown type shoes. During the summer you see a lot of kahki shorts and nice T-shirts or even hawain style shirts.

• Bar Italia or Zoe's: Try to keep count they go down quickly

by d.r.l. Written Dec 15, 2004

Central West End has a lot of great spots to eat and drink. Just plan on having drinks and appetizers and crawling from one to another.

Bar Italia and Zoe...
    THE BEST - I mean - OH SO YUMMY!
    CHOCOLATE ESPRESSO MARTINIS
    Get one, get two, lose count...
    they are the bomb!

Bar Italia has a patio when weather permits. Zoe is trendy with a nice bar.
    These are just two of the many great places to eat and drink in Central West End.
    Eat, drink, and be merry.

Dress Code: Hey,

From a woman's perspective if you're going out for martini's try and look the part. We're not talking ties and dresses, just look good.

Sure you can do jeans, express yourself, but put a little effort into it. Friday and Saturday night is the night to look good and feel good in the lou even if you are just doing movies and dinner. Sure we have our share of midwestern hoosiers, that is something like a red-neck f.y.i. We take all types.

• Gay and Lesbian
    • Business Travel

• LauraWest's Profile Photo

Pin-Up Bowl: Pin-Up Bowl / Bar is Cool & Cozy

by LauraWest Updated Sep 2, 2007

This new place is a combination modern bar with small bowling area ( only 12 lanes did I count). You can rent a pool table by the hour. This is for the under 40 set, mostly. Flat panel tv screens showing videos & cartoons over the bar and the lanes! Very modern but with the retro pin-up girls ( & boys!) theme.
    All kinds of mixed drinks & bottled beers, but only 2 kinds of draft (Bud Light & Schlafly Pale Ale, when I went in May '05) Food is simple but cheap & available till 2 in the morning.
    After 9 p.m., its 21 & up. Prior to 6 p.m., you can take your kids. The place is open until 3 every morning.

Update: there's now a Pinup Bowl in Kansas city, too!

Dress Code: very casual. Want to bowl, but don't have shoes? You can rent them. Wear socks!

• BeatChick's Profile Photo

Hyatt Regency Grand Hall Bar: Grand Old Setting for Drinks!

Hyatt Regency Grand Hall

I took mjccafe's advice and had drinks at the lovely, historic bar area of the Hyatt Regency which is part of Union Station. They also have a menu of appetizers, sandwiches & desserts, but I wasn't hungry that late at night so forewent the pleasure of dining there.

This place is so gorgeous with its barrel-vaulted ceiling and French accoutrements, it strongly reminded me of Le Train Bleu in Paris!

Martinis run between $8.50 & 9.50; I had a Captain Morgan's rum & diet with a twist of lime while sitting at a small table with deep, comfy leather seats. I was surprised to find out one could smoke in such an opulent setting so I took advantage and smoked while I enjoyed my drink. A perfect ending to a perfect day!

I closed the place down at midnight; others came in past that hoping for a drink with their cigar but had no such luck. The place was snug as a bug by that time!

Dress Code: Doesn't hurt to dress well in an environment like this, but I was just coming back from a concert and they didn't blink an eye at me!

• Women's Travel

Verizon Wireless Amphitheatre: Radiohead in St. Louis

by BeatChick Updated May 18, 2008

Radiohead Playing Paranoid Android

My favorite band of all-time is now Radiohead, supplanting The Cure in my affections after a good 21-year-long run (sorry, Robert Smith). I've always liked Radiohead, from the start of Jonny Greenwood's wondrous crunchy guitar sound in Creep to OK Computer (Paranoid Android is my fave song of all time) to the fantabulousness of Hail to the Thief. But when their latest CD, IN RAINBOWS, came out I knew they were the greatest band around. LOVE THEM!!

Michael Stipe said of the band "Radiohead are so good, they scare me" (when they opened for R.E.M. for their '95 tour). And Chris Martin of Coldplay said ""Being voted the world's sexiest vegetarian is about as cool as it gets. It's not quite as cool as Brad Pitt, but it'll do. Those have been the two biggest challenges of my life: trying to follow Radiohead, and trying to follow Brad Pitt." Not bad press from some of the best in the music industry, eh?!?

Jonny Greenwood, lead guitarist, recently scored the soundtrack for the film There Will Be Blood (thanks to the inimitable TimDaoust for the info!), garnering himself a Critic's Choice Award. It would've possibly earned a nom for the Academy Awards but was knocked out of that possibility due to use of bits from "Popcorn Superhet Receiver"; they refuse "scores diluted by the use of tracked themes or other pre-existing music." Feh. He's also the BBC's artist in residence!

For the kidlets, they can hear 2 Radiohead members, Greenwood & Phil Selway (drummer), in The Weird Sisters band on the soundtrack to Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire; the full version of the Yule Ball segment is included in an extended scene on the 2-disc DVD.

Dress Code: Concert attire

• Eco-Tourism

Verizon Wireless Amphitheater: Verizon Wireless Amphitheater

Radiohead T-shirts

My favorite band ever, Radiohead, was in St. Louis at the Verizon Wireless Amphitheatre so I took the Megabus from Cincinnati to Chicago and from Chicago to St. Louis.

I was really happy with the results. In fact, it turned out to be one of the most perfect days I've ever had (you know the kind)!

Those fans who had Verizon Wireless phones had a special line to themselves that allowed early entrance into the concert venue. I didn't need to do this as I had a numbered seat but if you've lawn seats this would be an excellent way to go! One phone allows 4 people in early - sweet!!

Also, you could text messages to VZWN to put up stuff on their message board (see 4th photo).

Also, fans were vigorously encouraged to recycle all over the concert venue.

I read the venue's website and was a little concerned about the descriptors for what kinds of cameras to bring in. It said digital was ok but not professional cameras with attached zoom lenses. Mine is new, has an 18X zoom lens and you can ADD zoom lenses but I didn't. I called to confirm if mine was okay, but Amy at the box office was of nil help.

Also, if you have lawn seats, be advised to bring a water repellent covering to lay on the ground as it soaks up tons of water. Many people were walking around with water stains on their bottoms!

Dress Code: It's CONCERT ATTIRE so wear whatever you like although a great many people showed up band t-shirts of other bands (i.e. The Ramones) and jeans, capris or shorts.

T-shirts at the concert are $40 apiece and carry no band logo (sort of an anti-art/dadaistic statement on the usual practice of band names on the tee). Instead, song lyrics are emblazoned on the shirt (these from the song 15 Step from the new BRILLIANT album/CD):
    You used to be alright
    What happened?

Band posters were going for $10, a much cheaper alternative to the t-shirts.

Also, there's printing on the inside of the shirt stating how polyester material is made versus post-consumer polyester (shirts are 50% cotton/50% polyester and soft as h311!). On the back of the tee the words are emblazoned backwards. You could turn the shirt inside out to show the band's political/environmental views and the lyrics would then show backwards on the front and correctly on the back.

Lots of concert-goers were complaining about the t-shirt prices but they fell directly in line with what I've been paying at other concerts (Coldplay 3 yrs ago, Chris Brown for my daughter 2 yrs ago).

As Chris Martin of Coldplay said, every other band follows what Radiohead does, so I'm sure this will soon become common practice.

Verizon Wireless Amphitheater: Opening Band - The Liars

The Liars

The opening band for Radiohead was an American band called The Liars. They definitely sounded post-punk to me reminiscent of early Joy Division.

Some of the people around me thought they sucked but when I asked what type of bands they liked, if they liked punk or knew of Joy Division a blank look stole over their eyes. I tried to make it easier for them by mentioning New Order (because they are the remnants of what became of Joy Division after post-punk icon Ian Curtis took his own life). I remember reading an early interview with Robert Smith of The Cure where he discussed how profoundly affected he was by the death of Curtis. And I must admit to naming my son after him (and Ian Astbury of The Cult & Ian McCulloch of Echo & the Bunnymen).

Anywho, those of us in the crowd who were paying attention absolutely LOVED this band. We thought they were a Brit band because we'd mistaken the lead singer's Australian accent with that of a English one. Oh well, still a great band!! Go see them. NOW! Or buy the CD - your choice (see how kind I am? I've given you a choice in the matter)!

Dress Code: Concert wear - you can wear suits like this guy for a retro punk look or t-shirts & jeans as many of the concert goers themselves were wearing.

• yooperprof's Profile Photo

Opera Theater of St. Louis: world class festival opera

by yooperprof Written Jun 28, 2004

al fresco before allegro

St. Louis has a world-class opera festival every summer. All performances are sung in English, and are given in the intimate Loretto-Hilton theater on the campus of Webster University, in idyllic Webster Groves. Many people make a gala event of the opera, enjoying picnic suppers on the lawn of the campus before the performance. I was fortunate to attend 2004 production of John Adams' contemporary opera "Nixon in China."

Dress Code: From dressy casual to "get-up-a-look" dressy; because it's summer in St. Louis comfort is important

• Paulie_D's Profile Photo

Laclede's Landing: Laclede's Landing

by Paulie_D Updated Apr 4, 2011

For a concentration of places for entertainment and nightlife then Laclede's Landing is the spot.

Having done some research before coming to St Louis I thought I would have plenty of choice. At least that's what I thought until I got there.

Perhaps, it's my own fault, but I assumed that this would hold true throughout the week...clearly not so. At least not on Sunday evenings.

Having taken the Metrolink to the Landing, I arrived around 8 pm was VERY surprised to find only a couple of places still open.

I took the time to walk around the streets to make sure but, no, not much open.

I don't wish to put anyone off here, just issue a warning...I'm still planning on making a stop here next time I'm in St Louis...just not on a Sunday evening.

Obviously a Friday/Saturday night place.

Dress Code: None, as far as I can tell.

• School Holidays

• cmarsek's Profile Photo

The Big Bang: Sing us a song, you're the piano man!

by cmarsek Written Nov 24, 2005

My friends and I enjo going out and just having fun being ourselves without having to deal with too many others who are out to put on a show and strut their stuff for a one-night hook up. We go out to enjoy good company and have a great time. When in St. Louis, one of my favorite places to do this is the Big Bang located on The Landing just north of the Arch grounds. The Big Bang is a dueling piano bar that HIGHLY encourages audience participation and really your experience at the Big Bang is what you make it.

This is a bar for all ages and especially for those who want to avoid the trashy bar scene.

Dress Code: Dress smart...wear pants and shoes and as long as you are not in grubby clothes you should be fine.

• School Holidays

• AKtravelers's Profile Photo

Beals on Broadway, Broadway Oyster Bar, BB's: The Broadway/Soulard Live Music Scene Rocks!!

by AKtravelers Updated Aug 31, 2009

Soulard/Broadway is just south of third base

Just south of the new Busch Stadium, under the interstates and railroad tracks, is a cluster of jazz bars on Broadway in the Soulard section of St. Louis. Janet took me there one Thursday night for an awesome time amidst light crowds (due to the fact that the Cardinals played a day game). We started at the Broadway Oyster Bar, a New Orleans-themed jumble of barely-standing wood with an outdoor bar and a one-man barefoot blues band from Illinois. The ambiance is that of a college fraternity merged with a 19th-century brothel -- which it was! We enjoyed his Jack Johnson-like riffs and rough takes on Clapton tunes before moving on to Beale's. There, we sat outdoors in the heat, drinking cold beer, mesmerized by St. Louis icon Kim Massie and the Solid Senders. Ms. Massie is 300 pounds of blues and soul, and you feel all of it as she belts out Aretha Franklin or Whitney Houston songs. She may not stand up, but you can't stay sitting down during her performance. If you want to rock, watch out for her version of Led Zepplin's "Whole Lotta Love" -- wow!! Or Proud Mary -- Killer! Just make sure you feed te tip jar with your requests.
    Massie and the Senders played for 2.5 hours before breaking, giving us a chance to sneak over to BB's Jazz and Soups, where the Grounders were finishing up 8 hours of music making with Hendrix, Croce and BB King. There were only a few stragglers left there at one in the morning, including a Cindi Lauper look-a-like (ironically, Kim Massie has played with Cindi Lauper), but we had a blast sharing a Pilsner Urquell and swaying to the breezy jazz. The lead guitarist really could solo!
    The Grounders closed down at 1:30 just in time to return to Beale's for the last hour of Kim Massie. We were tired and wanted to leave, but the band wouldn't let us, playing one funky song afte another, capturing us in a ecstatic net of sound. We finally broke free when 2:30 arrived and the tip jar crested near he rim, walking under another westbound train back to our car. What a night!!

• yooperprof's Profile Photo

Roberts Orpheum Theatre: Classic Restored Theatre with Multiple Uses

by yooperprof Written Jun 21, 2008

palace of dreams

The Orpheum is one of the classic performance spaces in the St. Louis area. This privately owned facility was originally constructed as a vaudeville theatre in 1917. It was purchased by Warner Brothers and made into a movie palace in the 1930s, and then because a music venue in the 1960s, taking the name of "the American Theatre" and featuring acts ranging from Eartha Kitt to the Red Hot Chili Peppers. In 2003, it was purchased by a Redevelopment Team (the Roberts Brothers) who restored it to its original name and glory.

• Architecture

• cckbp7's Profile Photo

Tin Can Tavern: Just like your buddy's basement

by cckbp7 Updated Sep 19, 2006

Tin Can Tavern offers an experience you won't find at many other bars. This comfortable neighborhood bar makes you feel as if you are surrounded by friends in one of your buddy's basements. But what makes this bar truely unique is that they only offer canned beer. This may not sound appealing at first, but their vast seletion ensures that there is something for everyone. From PBR to Grolsch to Michelob. This layed back bar also has a guy on an acustic guitar strumming out classic rock tunes. If you are looking for something out of the ordinary, then you should come and kick back at the Tin Can.

Dress Code: Come as you are

Instant Answers: Saint Louis

Comments

Saint Louis Nightlife

Reviews and photos of Saint Louis nightlife posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Saint Louis sightseeing.