Places to eat in Saint Louis

• Aspen salad with shrimp and red wine vinegarette
    Aspen salad with shrimp and red wine...
    by travelisfab
  • Look how fun the hot chocolate is-and delicious!
    Look how fun the hot chocolate is-and...
    by travelisfab
    Steak & eggs with a side of toast. Yum.

Most Viewed Restaurants in Saint Louis

House of Savoy at Lumier Place: Delightful Dining

by charlenemixa Written May 30, 2014

The House of Savoy features Tuscan cuisine in this very well done restaurant. Our meals were excellent as was the service. It is a very good restaurant in a relaxing setting on the lower level of the Lumiere Place Hotel which is across the street from the Lumiere Place Casino. A walkway connects the Casino and Hotel so the restaurant is easy to access. A great place to get away for a good dinner while in St. Louis. We liked taking the complimentary Casino shuttle which picked us up at our hotel. Then from the Casino we just took the walkway to the Lumiere Hotel and the House of Savoy Restaurant. Afterwards we enjoyed "donating" to the slot machines before taking the shuttle back to our hotel.

• Casino and Gambling

Schlafly Bottleworks: Great Beer, Great Tour & Great Food

by charlenemixa Written May 30, 2014

We had a fun and insightful tour of the process for brewing the Schlafly Beers at the Bottleworks. Alex our tour guide shared a lot of information not only on brewing Schlafly beer but also the history of breweries in the St. Louis area. Plus we got to sample four of the beers and notice the difference between them in smell, taste and color. After the tour, we had a terrific lunch in the bustling Bottleworks Restaurant. Our sandwiches were excellent - hearty, tasty and absolutely delicious.
    They even have a garden where they grow their own vegetables. Truly great beer, great tour and great food. A truly special brewery and great restaurant.

• Beer Tasting

• charlenemixa's Profile Photo

Morgan Street Brewery: Good Food & Fun in the Lacledes Landing”

by charlenemixa Updated May 30, 2014

Morgan Street Brewery is in the unique area of St. Louis known as Laclede's Landing. The atmosphere and setting was fun and nostalgic. Good food and of course good beer. Easily accessible from both the Casino and the Arch. A little off the beaten path but fun to also stroll the area and look at the old buildings. This is a large restaurant/tavern with a much more diverse menu than we anticipated.

• Over Under Sports Bar: Eat, drink and watch a sporting event

by travelisfab Updated Apr 24, 2014

Lots of TV's and fans for sporting events on both the bar side and the restaurant side. They have some of the traditional items on the menu but this is not traditional bar food. Just check out the menu to see for yourself. There is a lot of variety also so you can easily try a new dish each time and be pleased. This is a picture of their Aspen salad with shrimp added. Here's their menu description: Aspen Salad 10
    Baby spinach, feta cheese, toasted almonds, sun-dried cranberries and sliced cucumber with
    raspberry tarragon vinaigrette dressing
    + Grilled Chicken 3 • + Grilled Salmon 4 • + Grilled Shrimp 4 • + Seared Scallops 6

The bar is also a great place to watch a sporting event with a great atmosphere. Enjoy!

Favorite Dish: This Aspen salad with shrimp has to be one of the best dishes I have tried here.

Aspen salad with shrimp and red wine vinegarette

• WulfstanTraveller's Profile Photo

Crown Candy Kitchen: Ice Cream, Candy & Sandwiches

by WulfstanTraveller Updated Feb 2, 2014

This is a neat old candy maker and ice cream parlour which also serves food for lunch and dinner. They make great ice cream with a good range of flavours for shakes, etc., and they have great sandwiches. They are famous for a ridiculously huge BLT (bacon-lettuce-tomato) sandwich piled with bacon, but it seems a bit large and more a novelty. We didn't get it but saw some who did. Other sandwiches are great, they have a good selection, and all the sandwiches we had were great . Candy is pretty good but didn't impress us that much. The place is neat with old-fashioned character appropriate for an old soda fountain. It can get very busy with a line out the door, though.

It's in a quiet, neat old neighbourhood that is an island of fixed-up buildings surrounded by sadly tumble-down old houses and empty lots that used to be buildings.

Favorite Dish: Milk shakes, especially the Johnny Rabbit (banana malt with whipped cream, nuts and nutmeg), sundaes, sandwiches.

• WulfstanTraveller's Profile Photo

Pappy's Smokehouse: Great Barbeque

by WulfstanTraveller Written Jan 20, 2014

This is an outstanding BBQ place, the real deal and possibly the best barbeque place to which I have ever been. Admittedly, I have not been to many outside California, let alone in the real barbeque country of the Midwest or South, but this place is fantastic.

St. Louis is one of the great bbq regions (although some don't consider it really to be its own style of one of the "main" regional styles and instead simply a sub-branch) and at least has lent its name to its own version of pork ribs. The St. Louis style ribs here are simply incredible, as are the brisket,pulled pork, and everything else. For those interested, they also have Frito Pie and deep-fried corn on the cob.

Favorite Dish: St. Louis ribs and brisket.

• Tavolo V: Daily specials are refreshing and delicious

by travelisfab Written Aug 21, 2013

They did a great job with the building (and the private, secure parking) and lots to look at on the inside. I've been in larger groups here and we were treated just as well as those smaller groups around us. Mike B. did a great job waiting on us as he was very knowledgeable about the menu and extremely attentive. He also didn’t mind answering the same question at each end of the table and was very patient.
    We were all impressed not only by the regular menu but by the specials with all the seasonal and local touches to them. Looking at the array of dishes we ordered made the skill and expertise of the kitchen evident. From the friendly greeting, ease of accommodating a large group such as ours, the great service to the thank you’s at the end it was a wonderful experience. I highly recommend your restaurant to groups of any size.

Favorite Dish: Personally my favorites have been off of the daily specials. Everything is fresh and the combinations show the skill level of the kitchen. My favorites have been the tomato and buffalo mozzarella "salad" showcasing the local seasonal food and the lobster risotto (picture attached). The bad thing about daily specials is that since they aren't on the menu you may not be able to come back and order it again. The good thing is they are really something extra special.

Tavolo V Lobster Risotto

• bocmaxima's Profile Photo

π (Pi): Great Stuffed Pizza

by bocmaxima Written Aug 8, 2013

A hip atmosphere, great stuffed Chicago-style pizza, decent prices, and a very good, mostly local beer selection. π is probably the best Chicago-style pizza place I've encountered outside of Chicago. I've been to their Central West End and Downtown locations, and I prefer the former. It just has a better atmosphere.
    They get busy. If you go for during normal dinner hours, particularly to the CWE location, expect a wait, or call ahead.

Favorite Dish: South Side Classico. Great toppings combination.

Morgan Street Brewery: Typical American

by solopes Updated Sep 26, 2012

American popular cuisine has two dishes: Ketchup or Mayonnaise, each one of them served with a pile of food.

I like to know the real taste of food, so, I always refuse ketchup or mayonnaise. And, for the total disaster, beer is my last solution (well, not exactly, the real last one is Coca-Cola).

That left me with the pile of food, and wine. But… No complaint! The food was acceptable (even without the disguise of the dressings), the wine was good, and the prices as expected.

Hannegans: Best eperience in Laclde's Landing

by solopes Updated Sep 26, 2012

After an experience at Morgan, I tried, to change, its neighbour, also in the sidewalk. I had (and keep) the idea that the American don’t cook, they just pile food, and flavour it with a couple of standardized dressings. So, the dishes change their names and the nature of the piled food, but, at the end, everything tastes at the same: the chosen dressing. Generally, I refuse additional dressings and risk to taste the food exactly as it was cooked.

Exceptionally, both experiences in Laclede’s Landing were positive, without being memorable. The food was good and not to pricy.

Carmine: Almost there

by solopes Updated Sep 26, 2012

Tired of eating fast food, I entered this restaurant hoping that it would provide a more conventional food. It did, but not much.

The menu was short, and my choice was… of course, I forgot.

I remember that the wine was the worst we drunk in Saint Louis, and most probably, not from the brand we ordered (how can that happen in USA?).

• Architecture

Seki: First japanese

by solopes Updated Sep 26, 2012

It’s a shame, but this was my first Japanese experience. We went there by incident. We were there, it was lunch time, and… why not?

I was surprised for the enthusiastic references I read about it afterwards. This must be a special restaurant, and my writings don’t mean that I didn’t appreciate it. But, being the first Japanese experience I have no references to compare.

The service was kind and efficient, the food was tasty, but I must confess that the embarrass of using chop sticks (not the first time, but with Chinese I always use to demand fork and knife) prevented me from a detailed appreciation. To be honest, I would have no problem to live in Japan, but the dominant final flavour is something that I could spare, so, for now, I will keep not rushing to Japanese restaurants.

I repeated the experience in Portugal - Seki was better, but I still prefer the best food in the world - Portuguese.

Saint Louis - USA

• Half & Half: Everyone I bring here loves it!

by travelisfab Written Sep 1, 2012

Everyone I bring to this restaurant loves it. The atmosphere is great and well worth the wait. This is my second time with guests both times and we all had a wonderful breakfast. It was so exciting just to watch the other dishes go by to the other tables. Their menu is very diverse and the food quality very good. What I like best is the specials though. They are always unique and enticing just to read even if you don't order them. The food combinations are very clever and the quality very good. Some of the items our table has ordered are: blueberry pancakes, brioche french toast, steak & eggs, granola fruit & milk, veggie hash and biscuits & gravy. I am not a coffee drinker but their hot chocolate sure is fun and there is something special about the comfy feel of the coffee mugs for those coffee drinkers. Hope you enjoy your visit.
    P.S. This location becomes a Mexican restaurant in the evening Tuesday through Saturday called Medi ANoche.

Favorite Dish: Steak & Eggs because everyone who knows me will tell you that I love steak! They did such a great job with the steak and the potatoes, veggies and onions were cooked perfectly. The flavors really are brought together under the hollandaise sauce.

Look how fun the hot chocolate is-and delicious! Steak & eggs with a side of toast.  Yum.

• Joe's Chili Bowl: Don't let the name or cuisine fool you-great place

by travelisfab Written Sep 1, 2012

We live in St. Louis and decided to take some relatives to this restaurant after the Cardinals Game for a slinger. The menu has quite a variety for a chili place (and gets a special local nod from me because of the local owners cuisine reputation) but I seemed most excited of all to go there. Needless to say accolades came from all around our group of 11 as we walked into such a clean and bright restaurant with a great waiter named Chris who was so attentive. The kitchen even accomodated a special request which we appreciated for one dish. Our order included slingers, bowls of chili (meat and veggie), chili mac, toasted ravioli and salads (which were incredibly fresh). Everyone was very pleased with their entrees and very, very impressed. For such a small place you may not expect the kitchen to be so superior but it was. They also had outside dining which I will try next time because the ambiance was great. Even the website is fun. I highly, highly recommend this place for the staff, kitchen and food.

Favorite Dish: I loved the slinger but, of course, couldn't finish it. All the dishes looked great but the salads were exceptionally fresh looking and looked great. I regretted not ordering one actually but definitely will next time.

• BigBlueOne's Profile Photo

Anthonino's Taverna: Best Pizza in the Hill district

by BigBlueOne Written Aug 26, 2012

This place is, as the name implies, a bar. Somewhat funky, cool decor but nothing too terribly special either way. Outdoor seating is available if the weather is cooperative.

It is unique, however, because of the fact that its actually an Italian AND Greek restaurant, giving it some interesting options for pizza and the like.

Favorite Dish: We had the baked goat cheese with pita chips as an appetizer and, if you're a fan of goat cheese (I am) you'll enjoy it.

For dinner, our party got the gyro pizza and the bolognese pizza. Both were excellent. The gyro pizza had the traditional gyro meat with feta cheese and was great with a white sauce that complemented the flavors very well. The bolognese pizza had a few different types of Italian meat which in my mind was excellent. Some of the other people I was with thought it to be a little too spicy, so be forewarned...

Saint Louis Hotels

Latest: Jul 17, 2014
Drury Inn & Suites Forest Park
Latest: Jul 16, 2014

Instant Answers: Saint Louis

Comments

Saint Louis Restaurants

Travel tips and advice posted by real travelers and Saint Louis locals.
Map of Saint Louis