Places to eat in Saint Louis

Gooey Butter Cake
    by meteorologist1
  • Aspen salad with shrimp and red wine vinegarette
    Aspen salad with shrimp and red wine...
    by travelisfab
  • Capitalist Pig BBQ
    by changeinlatitude

Most Viewed Restaurants in Saint Louis

• Over Under Sports Bar: Eat, drink and watch a sporting event

by travelisfab Updated Apr 24, 2014

Lots of TV's and fans for sporting events on both the bar side and the restaurant side. They have some of the traditional items on the menu but this is not traditional bar food. Just check out the menu to see for yourself. There is a lot of variety also so you can easily try a new dish each time and be pleased. This is a picture of their Aspen salad with shrimp added. Here's their menu description: Aspen Salad 10
    Baby spinach, feta cheese, toasted almonds, sun-dried cranberries and sliced cucumber with
    raspberry tarragon vinaigrette dressing
    + Grilled Chicken 3 • + Grilled Salmon 4 • + Grilled Shrimp 4 • + Seared Scallops 6

The bar is also a great place to watch a sporting event with a great atmosphere. Enjoy!

Favorite Dish: This Aspen salad with shrimp has to be one of the best dishes I have tried here.

Aspen salad with shrimp and red wine vinegarette

• WulfstanTraveller's Profile Photo

Crown Candy Kitchen: Ice Cream, Candy & Sandwiches

by WulfstanTraveller Updated Feb 2, 2014

This is a neat old candy maker and ice cream parlour which also serves food for lunch and dinner. They make great ice cream with a good range of flavours for shakes, etc., and they have great sandwiches. They are famous for a ridiculously huge BLT (bacon-lettuce-tomato) sandwich piled with bacon, but it seems a bit large and more a novelty. We didn't get it but saw some who did. Other sandwiches are great, they have a good selection, and all the sandwiches we had were great . Candy is pretty good but didn't impress us that much. The place is neat with old-fashioned character appropriate for an old soda fountain. It can get very busy with a line out the door, though.

It's in a quiet, neat old neighbourhood that is an island of fixed-up buildings surrounded by sadly tumble-down old houses and empty lots that used to be buildings.

Favorite Dish: Milk shakes, especially the Johnny Rabbit (banana malt with whipped cream, nuts and nutmeg), sundaes, sandwiches.

• WulfstanTraveller's Profile Photo

Pappy's Smokehouse: Great Barbeque

by WulfstanTraveller Written Jan 20, 2014

This is an outstanding BBQ place, the real deal and possibly the best barbeque place to which I have ever been. Admittedly, I have not been to many outside California, let alone in the real barbeque country of the Midwest or South, but this place is fantastic.

St. Louis is one of the great bbq regions (although some don't consider it really to be its own style of one of the "main" regional styles and instead simply a sub-branch) and at least has lent its name to its own version of pork ribs. The St. Louis style ribs here are simply incredible, as are the brisket,pulled pork, and everything else. For those interested, they also have Frito Pie and deep-fried corn on the cob.

Favorite Dish: St. Louis ribs and brisket.

• Tavolo V: Daily specials are refreshing and delicious

by travelisfab Written Aug 21, 2013

They did a great job with the building (and the private, secure parking) and lots to look at on the inside. I've been in larger groups here and we were treated just as well as those smaller groups around us. Mike B. did a great job waiting on us as he was very knowledgeable about the menu and extremely attentive. He also didn’t mind answering the same question at each end of the table and was very patient.
    We were all impressed not only by the regular menu but by the specials with all the seasonal and local touches to them. Looking at the array of dishes we ordered made the skill and expertise of the kitchen evident. From the friendly greeting, ease of accommodating a large group such as ours, the great service to the thank you’s at the end it was a wonderful experience. I highly recommend your restaurant to groups of any size.

Favorite Dish: Personally my favorites have been off of the daily specials. Everything is fresh and the combinations show the skill level of the kitchen. My favorites have been the tomato and buffalo mozzarella "salad" showcasing the local seasonal food and the lobster risotto (picture attached). The bad thing about daily specials is that since they aren't on the menu you may not be able to come back and order it again. The good thing is they are really something extra special.

Tavolo V Lobster Risotto

• bocmaxima's Profile Photo

π (Pi): Great Stuffed Pizza

by bocmaxima Written Aug 8, 2013

A hip atmosphere, great stuffed Chicago-style pizza, decent prices, and a very good, mostly local beer selection. π is probably the best Chicago-style pizza place I've encountered outside of Chicago. I've been to their Central West End and Downtown locations, and I prefer the former. It just has a better atmosphere.
    They get busy. If you go for during normal dinner hours, particularly to the CWE location, expect a wait, or call ahead.

Favorite Dish: South Side Classico. Great toppings combination.

• Half & Half: Everyone I bring here loves it!

by travelisfab Written Sep 1, 2012

Everyone I bring to this restaurant loves it. The atmosphere is great and well worth the wait. This is my second time with guests both times and we all had a wonderful breakfast. It was so exciting just to watch the other dishes go by to the other tables. Their menu is very diverse and the food quality very good. What I like best is the specials though. They are always unique and enticing just to read even if you don't order them. The food combinations are very clever and the quality very good. Some of the items our table has ordered are: blueberry pancakes, brioche french toast, steak & eggs, granola fruit & milk, veggie hash and biscuits & gravy. I am not a coffee drinker but their hot chocolate sure is fun and there is something special about the comfy feel of the coffee mugs for those coffee drinkers. Hope you enjoy your visit.
    P.S. This location becomes a Mexican restaurant in the evening Tuesday through Saturday called Medi ANoche.

Favorite Dish: Steak & Eggs because everyone who knows me will tell you that I love steak! They did such a great job with the steak and the potatoes, veggies and onions were cooked perfectly. The flavors really are brought together under the hollandaise sauce.

Look how fun the hot chocolate is-and delicious! Steak & eggs with a side of toast.  Yum.

• Joe's Chili Bowl: Don't let the name or cuisine fool you-great place

by travelisfab Written Sep 1, 2012

We live in St. Louis and decided to take some relatives to this restaurant after the Cardinals Game for a slinger. The menu has quite a variety for a chili place (and gets a special local nod from me because of the local owners cuisine reputation) but I seemed most excited of all to go there. Needless to say accolades came from all around our group of 11 as we walked into such a clean and bright restaurant with a great waiter named Chris who was so attentive. The kitchen even accomodated a special request which we appreciated for one dish. Our order included slingers, bowls of chili (meat and veggie), chili mac, toasted ravioli and salads (which were incredibly fresh). Everyone was very pleased with their entrees and very, very impressed. For such a small place you may not expect the kitchen to be so superior but it was. They also had outside dining which I will try next time because the ambiance was great. Even the website is fun. I highly, highly recommend this place for the staff, kitchen and food.

Favorite Dish: I loved the slinger but, of course, couldn't finish it. All the dishes looked great but the salads were exceptionally fresh looking and looked great. I regretted not ordering one actually but definitely will next time.

• BigBlueOne's Profile Photo

Anthonino's Taverna: Best Pizza in the Hill district

by BigBlueOne Written Aug 26, 2012

This place is, as the name implies, a bar. Somewhat funky, cool decor but nothing too terribly special either way. Outdoor seating is available if the weather is cooperative.

It is unique, however, because of the fact that its actually an Italian AND Greek restaurant, giving it some interesting options for pizza and the like.

Favorite Dish: We had the baked goat cheese with pita chips as an appetizer and, if you're a fan of goat cheese (I am) you'll enjoy it.

For dinner, our party got the gyro pizza and the bolognese pizza. Both were excellent. The gyro pizza had the traditional gyro meat with feta cheese and was great with a white sauce that complemented the flavors very well. The bolognese pizza had a few different types of Italian meat which in my mind was excellent. Some of the other people I was with thought it to be a little too spicy, so be forewarned...

• changeinlatitude's Profile Photo

McCormick & Schmick's Seafood Restaurant: Great Fresh Seafood

by changeinlatitude Updated Apr 8, 2011

Our dinner reservations were for 7:00 pm. As usual, Tony and I were early, so we decided to grab a quick cocktail in the bar. What a great atmosphere. The bar area is very nicely decorated with the very cool stained glass ceiling adorned with the St. Louis Blues, Cardinals and Rams logos that made you love the place immediately.

When the rest of our party arrived, we made our way to the dinning room. Again, a wonderful atmosphere. The dinning room is very nicely decorated in beautiful wood and soft lighting. Our waiter, Randy, was SPECTACULAR!! His knowledge of the entire menu was amazing. Very eager to recommend or to let you know if your choice was a good one or not.

I decided to have a couple of the M & S Sweet Oysters for an appatizer, and they were very tasty. Then came the entrees. Amazing. I had the Lobster Steamer that was fantastic. Tony and his sister had the Scallops and they were to die for!!

After dinner Randy treated us with a little dessert, on the house, that was very nice accomponied with our coffee and Baylies.

Just a great experience that I highly recommend and I can't wait to visit again. Oh, and don't forget the dinner rolls. YUMMY!!!

Two tips. Use the valet parking. For only $5.00, it's the only way to go. Be sure to make a reservation, especially on the weekends.

Favorite Dish: I loved the M & S Sweet Oysters and wish I had ordered more. The Scallops are a must!!

Selections From The Menu McCormick & Schmick's Website Don't Forget Happy Hour

• Sunshine64's Profile Photo

Revival: Hidden in an Industrial Neighborhood

by Sunshine64 Updated Apr 4, 2011

Opened in 2008 in the location once inhabited by a different restaurant - King Louie's, Revival has the same layout (and I think even the same shutters on the windows - although it has been a long time). Revival is in the midst of an industrial neighborhood, and can be somewhat tricky to find, but as you can see from the picture, they have gone to great lengths on the patio to make is look like and almost tropical setting.

Besides seating on the patio, there is also an outdoor oven for making delicious wood-fired pizzas. I highly recommend the Spring Squash and Missouri Goat cheese. It was the best thing I ate at Revival - as a shared appetizer, but could be your whole meal.

Favorite Dish: Aside from the Spring Squash pizza and a special appetizers - I had one which was some wonderful concoction of plums and cheese on toast, and a couple friends had a spicy corn-on-the cob (pictured) - the rest of the food was average. And the lamb, which I had for my entre, was overcooked and fatty. I wouldn't order it again. I will go back, though - just for the pizza and the cocktails - and to try other dishes, as they clearly have the ability to make outstanding food - its' just a matter finding the right thing to order. Perhaps I'll ask the bar staff to recommend something - as they really pushed the pizza appetizer we had while waiting for the rest of our party.

Patio at Revival Spicy Corn-on-the-cob appetizer at Revival

• yooperprof's Profile Photo

Meriwether's - at the MO. History Museum: Lunch in Forest Park

by yooperprof Updated Apr 4, 2011

Meriwether's (as in "Meriwether Lewis" of Lewis & Clark fame) is a good choice for a tasty lunch if you are at the Missouri History Museum - or just visiting Forest Park, for that matter. It is on the second floor of the newer "Emerson" building of the museum, and offers very nice views of the surrounding parkland. The menu offers a lot of salads, and has a distinctive international flavor: I really enjoyed my Moroccan chicken and couscous.

Meriwether's is an above-average museum restaurant. In fact, it was recently features on a travel-channel show which highlighted "outstanding museum cafes in America." It's a good idea for museums to develop good restaurants: in brings in the doors a lot of people who might not otherwise enter, and it also develops "loyalty" among regular patrons.

Meriwether's has table service from 11 until 2 dailys, and there is a self-service selection available during other hours that the museum is open.

• Museum Visits

• grandmaR's Profile Photo

Jack In the Box: Homeless Hangout on Gravois

by grandmaR Updated Apr 4, 2011

We had been a long time at the library and didn't see any place for lunch. Eventually, about 3, we stopped at a Jack in the Box. Bob doesn't like to eat in the car, so we went in

Favorite Dish: Bob got a hamburger and shake and I got a #3. The place turned out to be where a homeless black man was hanging out. He asked us for 99 cents to get a hamburger. Bob said he didn't have any money, but I gave him my french fries, which he ate.

Outside of the restaurant Part of the menu Burger Tray with shake and fries and burger (wrapped) Other side of the menu

• LauraWest's Profile Photo

The City Diner: Unique & Highly Recommended

by LauraWest Updated Apr 4, 2011

This restaurant has been around for over ten years, but use to be called South City Diner & was next door to its new, much larger, location. I was sad to see the old one gone, with the funky decor and vintage furnishings. But the newer place, though slicker, retains the edge. The food, the servers and the decor attract youth, families and urban people. High chairs available. But no alcohol.

I love the record album covers and the original paintings on the walls. Very colorful conversation starters, as you try to remember which albums you know or used to have in your collection (we, who started on vinyl, show our age- who cares?). Appropriate American recorded music runs nonstop in the background, too. So does the hot coffee, ice water and new glasses of soda, if you ordered it, to begin with. Great service here; gotta love the servers;-) My photo shows part of the interior, of the non smoking area, which is the larger portion of the place. The smoking area is at the back. Same counter with old-fashion American soda fountain stools. Also, in good weather, a concrete patio is open along the side street.

I ate here two days in a row in November!

Favorite Dish: I love that you can get a hot breakfast here any time they are open, and they're open 24 hours on Fridays and Saturdays. The other days of the week, they open early and stay open until 11 p.m., I think.

French Fries are only one dollar more with a sandwich purchase, and they are real good ones. The Eggplant Parmesean is very good, like homemade.

Anything on the menu is bound to be good. And the portions are large. Ask you friendly server for suggestions, if you wish. You can eat for $10 or more, depending on what you get. Breakfast pancakes, and a few other meals, will be much less then ten.

Interior

• Sunshine64's Profile Photo

Mihalis Chop House: Great New Steak House

by Sunshine64 Updated Apr 4, 2011

It was pouring down rain when we arrived in my bright orange rental car. Suspecting that we my drink too much wine and need to take a cab home, we confirmed with the valet who shuttled us from the car to the door with an umbrella that we could leave the car overnight. He said its a common practice :)

Before dinner we had a drink in the bar - nice bar. Too bad they still allow smoking in public places in St. Louis, though. I hate smelling like smoke. But, the bar was nice and swanky without being snooty. We got a 1/2 bottle of champagne which was delivered by the Sommelier, even though we ordered from the waitress. Nice touch.

Dinner was outstanding. The fresh pita that came with the hummus was delicious, and I'm sure in no way healthy. Then I had the tomato mozzarella salad and those that didn't get it had order envy. For main course I had a filet which was delightful, and asparagus.

Two bottles of wine - one that was a special, which was good, but not good enough that I remember the name, followed by Stag's Leap Petit Syrah - one of my all time faves.

Like there was any room for desert, we shared some - a delicious exploding chocolate dish.

• Wine Tasting

• meccostaud's Profile Photo

Dressel's: Cymraeg Bwyta

by meccostaud Updated Apr 4, 2011

This is our favorite neighborhood pub up the street from our house, and we love to pop in when we're short on time to grab a quick salad or sandwich.

The existing dining room hasn't changed much in 20-some years I'm told, but we just dined here yesterday and found out that they're expanding into the recently vacated building next door. The bartender, with his long white hair and droopy mustache, has been there as long as anyone can remember. Lots of framed posters and pics of famous people line the walls.

This is the kind of local hangout that you come to for a glass of ale and good conversation. The food is good, dependable pub food. Dressel's is known for its Bavarian chips (thin slices of potato crispy fried), fish and chips, chicken pot pie, and stockpots (a different kind of hearty stew every day).

We love the flank steak chef salad, prepared the way you like, with blue cheese crumbles, pepperoncini, and big green olives.

The waitstaff is cheery and friendly, and they always remember what we like.

Great place to spend stay warm on a cold winter's night, and their new sidewalk tables are great for dining when the weather's good.

Favorite Dish: Flank steak chef! Low carbs, high taste.

Saint Louis Hotels

Great (4.0 out of 5.0) 1 Review
Wyndham Roberts Mayfair - A Historic Hotel Saint Louis
Great (4.0 out of 5.0) 5 Reviews

Instant Answers: Saint Louis

Comments

Saint Louis Restaurants

Travel tips and advice posted by real travelers and Saint Louis locals.
Map of Saint Louis