Places to eat in Saint Louis

• Aspen salad with shrimp and red wine vinegarette
    Aspen salad with shrimp and red wine...
    by travelisfab
  • Look how fun the hot chocolate is-and delicious!
    Look how fun the hot chocolate is-and...
    by travelisfab
    Steak & eggs with a side of toast. Yum.

Most Viewed Restaurants in Saint Louis

• deecat's Profile Photo

Tony's: For Service & Food Beyond Compare Dine At....

by deecat Updated Jun 7, 2005

Click for a better look at the double photograph.

In the late 1960's my husband Allan and I ate at Tony's in St. Louis and were quite impressed with the fantastic service and outstanding cusine. Now, in 2004, Jill and I ate dinner at Tony's and experienced the same superb service and delicious food.

Tony's is, however, in a different (and I think better) location. We took a short cab ride to the restaurant for our 8:00 P.M. reservations (Reservations are a must).

From the moment I stepped out of the cab, extraordinary service prevailed. The decor of the restaurant is clean lines and modern. We were seated at a table for two with a good view of the large dining area. Three people took care of us, anticipating our every need. Everything on the menu is alcarte. the prices are steep, and after tasting the food, you'll understand why.

Favorite Dish: Jill ate Dover Sole in Lemon Sauce, a special salad, and a side order of Spinach. I ate a Filet Mignon in a wine sauce, the wonderful Tony's Salad, and a side order of spinach. The food was completed tableside. All the food was perfect.

We finished the meal by splitting a decadent chocolate dessert and a rich, steaming-hot cup of coffee.

Tony's Restaurant is fine dining at its best!

Jill & Dee at Tony's Restaurant
    • Luxury Travel

• LauraWest's Profile Photo

Lemon Grass Kitchen: Never Anything to Criticize!

by LauraWest Updated Dec 7, 2005

Lemon Grass has moved into a new space and its great!! I went there in October, with a group from my garden club. we were all really impressed with the ambience and the food. And guess what? The prices don't appear to have gone up, even though the place is five times nicer to dine in. I've eaten here so many times with many different people & everyone always agrees that its great food. The menu is huge & very low cost, yet the quality & service is great.

I just read a review in our local daily paper & the reviewer was very impressed, also. This reminded me that I needed to update this tip!

The area is very interesting to shop in, near Tower Grove Park & the Mo. Botanical Garden. There are also many other good restaurants on this street, So. Grand.

Favorite Dish: I'm a vegetarian & the choices here are many. I love the dishes with the curry sauce. There is also meat & seafood dishes, beer & wine.

• Gay and Lesbian

• LauraWest's Profile Photo

The Bottleworks: Schlaflys Times Two!

by LauraWest Updated Nov 15, 2007

I love this new place! The food is great, so delicious, inventive and healthy. Lots of vegetarian items, organic produce & locally grown, too. Very attractive space to relax (no smoking inside, even in the BAR!! ), with a large outdoor patio, too, where you can smoke. Friendly servers, a small museum on St. Louis beer brewing history and free tours of the brewery! You can have food grown right there in an organic garden beside the building.

Also, a nice gift shop with attractive clothes of all types, etc. Get a metal sign as in the photo, to screw into your wall!

On the website, you can see they have an original brew pub downtown; also, GREAT!! Been to the original location more than a few times. Very lively in the evenings. I highly recommend. Check the web site for special events, of many types, all year round.

Favorite Dish: Appetizer: Pecan encrusted warm brie cheese with little toasts & smoked apple slices. Yum! Enough for three or 4 people.

The beer is all very, very good, every kind that I have tried!! They have special seasonal brews, also. I just tried one called "Coffee Stout." A woman I met at a party this past weekend told me it is special for the winter holiday season. Indeed, the date it was brewed was Dec. 5, 2005 (printed on the bottle, which I bought a 6-pack of at Whole Foods, this afternoon). This unique beer is made with Kaldi's coffee!! See my "Kaldi's tip" in this section.

The salads are great, too.
    Lunch, & dinner items range up from about $8. Salads start at $5. Try the brunch menu on weekends.

metal sign to buy
    • Beer Tasting
    • Women's Travel

• LauraWest's Profile Photo

Kaldi's Coffee House: Healthy Place to Relax & Get Great Coffee!

by LauraWest Updated Mar 23, 2007

A neighborhood corner place with great coffee and fresh healthy vegetarian breakfast & lunch items popular with staff & students from Washington University & other casual people of all ages. Yummy baked desserts & smoothies, too. The outdoor dining is surrounded by original artist-made fencing.

Inside, it is bigger than it looks. Go past the restroom for another dining room, with plants & art. Order at counter. Very low cost lunches! You can just get coffee to go, too. They try to have a lot of Fair Trade coffee and organic, too. Yes, they roast their own beans!

Favorite Dish: I like the salad with sunflower seeds! Crunchy vegetables, too.

• Study Abroad

• Paulie_D's Profile Photo

Hannegan's Restaurant & Pub: Hannegan's Restaurant & Pub

by Paulie_D Updated Oct 25, 2003

If you have read my Nightlife tip, you will understand why I was pleased to find this place still open.

Apparently built as a replica of the U.S. Senate Dining Room, Hannegan's richly appointed decor is intended to capture the memories of the 1940s political scene..although I'm not sure how the big screen TV (not pictured) fits in.

The menu offers a wide range of creative American cuisine. Lunch and dinner can be served outdoors 'street style'.

Hannegan's specializes in tour groups, rehearsal dinners and business meetings.

Jazz bands are, allegedly, featured on weekends but not during my visit.

I visited on a Sunday night so the serving staff were not under any pressure. Nevertheless, the place was clean and the food arrived promptly.

Favorite Dish: Jack Daniel's BBQ Chicken with Garlic Mash.

Hmmmm....tasty.

From their website

• changeinlatitude's Profile Photo

Senor Pique: Good Mexican Food

by changeinlatitude Updated May 25, 2006

If you like authentic Mexican food, this is the place to go. Located in the Ballwin/Manchester area, West County, it's only minutes from downtown.

The food is wonderful, the maragritas are the best in town and you cannot beat the service. There is outside seating when it is warm, however, the atmosphere in doors is very nice and casual. The only have a few American dishes on the menu, so it is a real Mexican restaurant.

Here is a little write up on the restaurant that I found that pretty much sums it up.

"It's hard to find good Mexican cuisine in the United States outside of Texas and California, but Senor Pique provides St. Louisians with some great Mexican-American favorites and a chance to taste some more authentic cuisine. Owned and operated by the Jiminez-Gutierrez family, who hail from Mexico City, Senor Pique brings some spice to St. Louis and the busy streets of Manchester. Ironically, they also offer quesadillas in both ''Mexicanas'' and ''Gingas'' (American) style. All the staples are here: from chimichangas and tacos to the ever-popular enchilada smothered in a spicy mole sauce. But this place also offers up filete de pescado (chile and spice breaded tilapia) with green rice and elote (Mexican-style corn on the cob) as well as some slow-roasted Mexican pulled pork. The flat screen TV that only plays Spanish TV shows and movies adds to the authenticity of the place. The walls are like any traditional cucina: brightly colored with festive wall decorations like flags and hats. Despite the complex mall location, the recipes and atmosphere should make this place worth visiting."

Favorite Dish: Wow, that is tough. They just changed the menu, so I am not sure the name of the dish, however, it was a great tigar shrimp dish. Everything that I have had so far was wonderful.

• BeatChick's Profile Photo

Houlihan's: Great Patio Seating in Union Station

by BeatChick Updated May 29, 2008

Upon alighting in St. Louis, I was famished. I made a friend from the bus who was also going to the Radiohead concert and we decided to hang out for the day.

Because there is seating outside on the patio which affords a lovely view overlooking a massive koi pond, my friend and I both could smoke. Nothing finer than a smoke and a drink, lovely conversation in an equally lovely setting, excellent food, with blue skies overhead while anticipating a fantastic event such as seeing Radiohead in concert. This, I knew, would be the beginning of a wonderful day!

And so it was...

Favorite Dish: We both started off with the French Onion Soup with Provolone. I opted out of the croutons as I'm doing a low-carb diet and it satisfied very well.

My friend chose to follow up with the 'shrooms (which he deemed excellent) while I gravitated towards the Prime Steak & Wedge Salad consisting of 5 ounces of top sirloin topped with red wine garlic butter served with a wedge salad with smoked bacon, spicy pecans, grilled asparagus, gorgonzola, and a bleu cheese dressing. All low carb so I didn't have to feel guilty and absolutely delicious.

Photos: March 15, 2008

Prime Steak & Wedge Salad View from Houlihan's inside Union Station View from Patio at Houlihan's Koi in the Pond Koi
    • Singles

• Robata of Japan-Hibachi steakhouse: Have some fun Japanese style.

by luckymantony Written Mar 6, 2003

There are many great restaurants in St.Louis. If your in the mood for some great japanese stlye food with a bit of fun added, then this is the place. It is located at westport plaza, on the 12th floor, in the gold tower building. It has a great atmosphere about it. You do need a reservation before you attend. They make all the food at your table and it's a lot of fun. The chefs make the experience memorable. The prices are affordable and they have great combo packages to choose from. It is a great place for couples and groups of people. So if you get a chance, take the time to stop by and have a great meal. Again, depending on how much you want to spend will be determined on what package you order. I think the cheapest was about $20 a person on up to??? It includes salad, sides, and tea or water.

Favorite Dish: Since most of the packages offer diffrent items, it just depends on what your in the mood for. I like the package that lets you try everything. It is all so good!!!

• changeinlatitude's Profile Photo

J Bucks: Great Food

by changeinlatitude Written Mar 2, 2006

This restaurant is really nice. It is located in West County Mall (see what I mean about the counties) in the lower level. It is open for lunch and dinner every day. If you are staying in the area and want a good steak, maybe a nice chicken dish, it is worth checking out.

They have valet parking, so you don't have to worry about fighting for a spot.

Favorite Dish: Too many. Everything on the menu is good.

Morgan Street Brewery: Typical American

by solopes Updated Sep 26, 2012

American popular cuisine has two dishes: Ketchup or Mayonnaise, each one of them served with a pile of food.

I like to know the real taste of food, so, I always refuse ketchup or mayonnaise. And, for the total disaster, beer is my last solution (well, not exactly, the real last one is Coca-Cola).

That left me with the pile of food, and wine. But… No complaint! The food was acceptable (even without the disguise of the dressings), the wine was good, and the prices as expected.

Hannegans: Best eperience in Laclde's Landing

by solopes Updated Sep 26, 2012

After an experience at Morgan, I tried, to change, its neighbour, also in the sidewalk. I had (and keep) the idea that the American don’t cook, they just pile food, and flavour it with a couple of standardized dressings. So, the dishes change their names and the nature of the piled food, but, at the end, everything tastes at the same: the chosen dressing. Generally, I refuse additional dressings and risk to taste the food exactly as it was cooked.

Exceptionally, both experiences in Laclede’s Landing were positive, without being memorable. The food was good and not to pricy.

Carmine: Almost there

by solopes Updated Sep 26, 2012

Tired of eating fast food, I entered this restaurant hoping that it would provide a more conventional food. It did, but not much.

The menu was short, and my choice was… of course, I forgot.

I remember that the wine was the worst we drunk in Saint Louis, and most probably, not from the brand we ordered (how can that happen in USA?).

• Architecture

Seki: First japanese

by solopes Updated Sep 26, 2012

It’s a shame, but this was my first Japanese experience. We went there by incident. We were there, it was lunch time, and… why not?

I was surprised for the enthusiastic references I read about it afterwards. This must be a special restaurant, and my writings don’t mean that I didn’t appreciate it. But, being the first Japanese experience I have no references to compare.

The service was kind and efficient, the food was tasty, but I must confess that the embarrass of using chop sticks (not the first time, but with Chinese I always use to demand fork and knife) prevented me from a detailed appreciation. To be honest, I would have no problem to live in Japan, but the dominant final flavour is something that I could spare, so, for now, I will keep not rushing to Japanese restaurants.

I repeated the experience in Portugal - Seki was better, but I still prefer the best food in the world - Portuguese.

Soulard Coffee Garden: Feel At Home

by LauraWest Updated Sep 8, 2007

This is really three places in one. When you first walk in, you will find a very welcoming attractive room with a counter to order at on the left. There's a case of fresh baked goods, too. The walls are old exposed brick & colorful local artists' paintings will be hanging on your right. Tables & chairs, etc. Order, pay, then sit. They will bring you your food. Beverages range from teas, coffee (of course) and cold fruit drinks. They make fresh sandwiches that are excellent, salads and other well made fare. You won't have to wait long.

Upstairs is another room. If you walk up the stairs, your food will follow you up there! They have comfortable booths at the streetside windows. Round tables with chairs and very casual, arty atmosphere. Sometimes,there will be a poetry reading or other entertainment up here. I used to go to the Echo Theater Company's monthly play readings here, over the last 3 years. They were really good! But this Fall, Echo will be at another location. (I plan to go in November)

When I took this photo a few months ago, they had a couple tables with umbrellas on the front sidewalk, too. You could get the flavor of Soulard sitting out there. I love walking around this beautiful historic area. Don't forget to go here!! You would enjoy it day or night, I hope. Mardi Gras will be the wildest time to come, let me tell you. Famous for celebrating this holiday, Soulard is, believe me.

In nice weather, try the backyard area outside! I really like the unique way the patio and decking is constructed. It is very organic and has playful character. There's a tall wooden fence and you feel like you could be in an artist's backyard. I haven't been out there in quite awhile. If it wasn't raining out, I would go now!

out in front

Shangri-La Diner: Not complicated, totally casual...Vegetarian

by LauraWest Updated Nov 21, 2007

The ambiance and service is totally unique here, as is the food. Your server will probably be pierced in many places! Most of the menu items are vegetarian or vegan. The most recent menu I had does offer a wild Alaskan salmon burger and a breakfast specialty with smoked salmon as of of the many ingredients. Everything else was vegetarian. You can download a file of the menu on their web site. They use no trans fats and a wide assortment of fresh ingredients. Vegan dishes are labeled as such.

Very casual, youthful diner, but I see the Red Hat Society did a piece on them in their magazine...so if you are youthful-at-heart, as I am, you will feel welcome. It is a very neighborhood type place, that is adding longer hours as they are able. You might want to call first, to see what they are. Last time I checked in, they were open Thursday through Sunday.

Not another place like it anywhere in the metro area! It has just celebrated its second anniversary, but Patrice, the creative owner, has been in the vegetarian food business in St. Louis for many years. She ran the Famous vegetarian Sunday Brunch at Mokabee's for years. Now she has her own place, again (anyone remember The Panache in U-City?? Before my time of residency, but I hear it was excellent & Patrice's baby),with a Sunday Brunch, too. She is a wonderful soul, and I wish her everything of the best success!

Favorite Dish: I like the Keith's Kickin' Supreme Nachos and also, the veggie burger....hmm, I am starting to get hungry...and it is Sunday. Maybe I should rush over for the all-you-can-eat Sunday Brunch!!!! only $11

inside another inside view

Wyndham Roberts Mayfair - A Historic Hotel Saint Louis
Sheraton Plaza West Port
Latest: Jun 29, 2014

Instant Answers: Saint Louis

Comments

Saint Louis Restaurants

Travel tips and advice posted by real travelers and Saint Louis locals.
Map of Saint Louis