Gateway Arch, Saint Louis

St. Louis Riverfront (877)-982-1410

river view from the top of the arch
    river view from the top of the arch
    by megs_entropy
  • view of courthouse from the top of the arch
    view of courthouse from the top of the...
  • atufft's Profile Photo

The Arch

by atufft Written Mar 3, 2010

Clearly the most famous architectural feature of St. Louis, the Gateway Arch is also part of the Jefferson National Expansion Memorial. According to Wikipedia, the memorial arch was designed by Finnish-American Eero Saarinen and engineer Hannskarl Bandel in 1947. While the arch appears very tall and slender, Wikipedia reports that it is as tall as it is wide at the base--630 feet, and that it is the tallest memorial in the United States. What makes this arch particularly interesting is combination of traditional gateway symbolism of the arch with the seemingly slender elegance and stainless steel exterior. The arch is anchored very securely in a base of concrete and steel, but the top flexes in the wind.

• yellowbell's Profile Photo

Gateway Arch - Museum of Westward Expansion

by yellowbell Updated Oct 15, 2009

Museum of Westward Expansion

Since we were only in St. Louis for a day and boat cruises were not in operation on a winter day, we decided to explore the monumental Gateway Arch that can be seen from anywhere around downtown St. Louis.

Down the Arch is the Museum of Westward Expansion.

There were interesting exhibitions of how men lived and survived in the 1800s and replicas of the wagon and animals they used. See giant murals of historical figures and read about how Lewis and Clark explored the land. You can explore it for a good 45 minutes or you can decide to take the tram up the arch (for a fee).

Museum Admission is free. Open 9 am - 5pm (Winter) and 8 am - 5pm (Summer).

• Museum Visits

• AKtravelers's Profile Photo

Of Course, You Can't Miss the Arch

by AKtravelers Written Sep 15, 2009
    Gateway arch at night

Without a doubt, St. Louis' most famous structure, icon and tourist attraction is the Gateway Arch. It is beloved by residents and is the symbol of the city. Of course, if you're downtown, you can't avoid seeing the Arch -- every bridge crossing the Mississippi provides a view of it. If you go to a Cardinals game, it's visible over the right field bleechers. It's everywhere.
    When I was a child in 1976, I had a chance to take the eevator to the top of the Arch and look down on Busch Stadium. That stadium is gone, but there's a new one it its place and the elevator trip would probably give you a similar view.
    The Arch is almost as old as me, being completed sometime around 1964. It symbolizes the Gateway to the frontier, as St. Louis considers itself the starting point for the settlement of the west.

• TravellerMel's Profile Photo

The Ride to the Top - not for the claustrophobic!

by TravellerMel Written Jun 14, 2009

Top of the World, Ma!

Since I am claustrophobic, I really wish someone had warned me about the ride to the top of the Gateway Arch. I looked at the website, but got as far as the statement "trams leave every 10 minutes". I have in my head what a tram looks/feels like. It was nothing like what I had in my head. The "tram" is, in fact, a 5-person pod - very close quarters. I tried to maintain my composure so as to not frighten the child who was in the same pod. I closed my eyes and concentrated on my breathing. The four minutes it took to get to the top seemed to take forever, and I banged my head on the lowered door as I rushed to escape the pod.

I remember very little about being at the top. I must have looked out of the windows, because I have photos on my camera. My racing heart, flushed and sweating face, and the beginnings of a pounding headache all combined to keep me there less time than it took to get there. I'm including a photo of me taken at the top - it kinda looks like I am smiling, but you can see the watery eyes, the sheen of sweat, and the flushed skin on my face. This is not the look of someone having a good time. And worse, you have to go down the same way...

I made it there and back. It took me a good 30 minutes to calm down afterward. I won't do it again.

• TravellerMel's Profile Photo

The Iconic Gateway Arch

by TravellerMel Written Jun 14, 2009

The Arch

Much like the Eiffel tower is to Paris, or the Statue of Liberty is to New York, the Gateway Arch is the icon of St. Louis - as such, you will probably find yourself taking MANY photos of it. Interestingly enough, the Arch changes with time of day, and proximity, and vantage point. A marvel of engineering, modern, graceful - and it is still hard for me to wrap my brain around the fact you can travel inside it!

• Photography

• BeatChick's Profile Photo

Gateway Arch - the Gateway to the West!

by BeatChick Updated May 29, 2008

Gateway Arch sideways

In our family album is a photo of the Gateway Arch from a trip we took when I was 5 or so. I vaguely remember seeing it (through the faraway veil of that child's mind), but since I was a little girl I knew I'd have to see it again someday and ride the elevator to the top (which I still need to do).

When I found out Radiohead would be in concert not too far away, I knew this was my excuse, er, ticket to return. The Megabus travels to that city from Cincinnati and can be done at a great price. I paid only $46 roundtrip which meant I had no choice but to look for the symbol of St. Louis when I came into town.

And there she was in all her glory! It was like seeing the Eiffel Tower in Paris!!

These photos were taken from the bus on the way in; I've posted the best ones.

Photos: May 15, 2008

• Women's Travel

• eccentricplanet's Profile Photo

Even if you don't go up...

by eccentricplanet Written Mar 17, 2008

We didn't go up in the Arch, and we didn't pay a dime to park on the street, cross the street, then run around the park, touch the arch, and stare up at it in amazement. It really is impressive to see and the kids thought it was very cool. Definitely worth our 30 minute stop.

• heitzenrater's Profile Photo

Thats a huge arch

by heitzenrater Updated Feb 7, 2008

Stainless steel and 630 feet above the ground. This structure can sways 1/2" - 1" in 20 mph wind. Wow.

HOURS
    Summer hours - 8 a.m. to 10 p.m., seven days a week from Memorial Day through Labor Day. Arch trams will run daily starting at 8:30 a.m. and ending at 9:10 p.m.

Winter hours - 9 a.m. to 6 p.m., seven days a week from Labor Day through Memorial Day. Arch trams will run daily starting at 9:20 am and ending at 5:10 pm.

TRAM
    Trams leave at least every 10 minutes, and it's a tight fit in the tram.
    PRICE
    Tram tickets: $10 adults (17 & older), $7 youth (13 - 16), $3 children (3 - 12)

IF YOU LIKE MY POST PLEASE GIVE POSITIVE FEEDBACK, THANKS.

• Tom_Fields's Profile Photo

Gateway Arch

by Tom_Fields Updated Dec 17, 2007

Gateway Arch in the moonlight

This is a magnificent work of architecture. The view from the top is awesome (just don't go up there if you're afraid of heights!). A tram takes you up and back. At 630 feet, it's our nation's tallest monument. It's now the best-known symbol of St Louis.

• 807Wheaton's Profile Photo

The Museum of Westward Expansion

by 807Wheaton Written Dec 9, 2007

Buffalo exhibit

There is no fee to view the Museum of Westward Expansion. It's a good thing to see and do if you have to wait for your tram ride to the top of the arch. The displays offer a peek into the area of the West that awaited Louis & Clark during their exploration. There is a very good movie about the ships that the explorers used on their voyage.

• National/State Park
    • Seniors

• SLLiew's Profile Photo

St. Louis Gateway Arch

by SLLiew Updated Nov 6, 2007

Top of the St. Louis Gateway Arch

This beautiful arch is the landmark of St. Louis.

It can be seen everywhere in the city.

Went up in the tram ride which was kind of claustrophic.

At the top, at 630 feet, it was an amazing view of the St. Louis, the Missisippi River and the surroundings on both sides of the arch.

Worth the wait. Not to be missed when you are visiting St. Louis.

Winter Hours
    (Labor Day to Memorial Day)
    9:20 a.m. - 5:10 p.m.

Summer Hours
    (Memorial Day to Labor Day)
    8:20 a.m. - 9:10 p.m.

Trams leave every ten minutes.
    Average round-trip visit = 60 minutes

• Eero Saarinen's Brainchild

by lv2qwlt Written Oct 14, 2007

Nothing says St. Louis like the Arch! It is an amazing structure. The fact that it was built is enough, but it is simple and beautiful. People don't think too much about it, but when they see it up close...Wow. I was a kid and remember it being built, in fact, my dad would regularly take us all down to the riverfront to see its latest stages as it was going up. Many said it was impossible to build and would never work! Sadly, Eero Saarinen, the visionary architect who designed the arch , never lived to see the dream it accomplished. It is a 630 ft high stainless steel equilateral triangle and the shape is elegant, the catenary curve or the shape a chain takes when hanging upside down. Standing under the arch and looking straight up, it is astonishing to wonder how it was possible. The two legs of the arch were built separately and when they were finally close enough near the top, a scaffold was erected to anchor them together. When the final keystone piece was ready to be installed, it was a blazing hot day and the piece was several feet to big to fit into the opening. The two legs were hosed down with water and the piece was inserted. What drama!
    Thanks to the steel workers who risked their lives making this structure. Dangerous as it was, not one life was lost during the construction of the arch. I could go on and on with the magnificence, but you will have to come see for yourself.

• sabogg01's Profile Photo

The arch is a must!

by sabogg01 Written Jun 24, 2007

View of the historic court house from the arch

My favorite thing that I did while in St. Louis was going up to the top of the arch. I enjoyed walking around the arch and looking at its structure as well. The view was spectacular!! We got there around 9AM and did not have to wait in any lines, but as the day went on I saw that it became more crowded so I would recommend getting there early. The arch does not seem very handicap accessible but I could be wrong. The trip to the top was a bit cramped as you have to fit through a small 4 ft door and sit with 4 other people in the lil bubble type elevator. I did not mind this though, except it was a bit hot inside. There is also a very nice museum at the arch as well as a souvenir shop. I think that going to the top and checking out the museum is a must for a first time trip to St. Louis.

• Bursland's Profile Photo

Experience in a unique monument

by Bursland Written May 12, 2007
    The Arch fro a Mississippi riverboat

A must thing to do is take a trip to the top of the Gateway Arch .It may not be the tallest structure you will ever go to the top of,but the ride up is kind of unique.You ride up in small cars ,somewhat like those on a ferris wheel but enclosed and as the Arch is curved the cars level themselves out in a similar fashion.It may not be too comfortable for anyone with claustrophobia or of a nervous disposition as they are quite small and creak and wobble their way to the top .When you exit the cars you complete the last few feet up on foot and then almost at the apex of the arch widows look out on ither side offering great views.

• Kid-A's Profile Photo

too obvious?

by Kid-A Written Feb 16, 2007
    looking down from 200 meters

It's a fun thing to do, especially on a very windy day or when there are thunderstorms. The arch is 633 feet tall (almost 200 meters). In high winds, it sways--I don't know how much, but it's certainly enough to notice! And before you go up in the arch, there's the western expansion museum to go through underground. The museum is one of the best I've seen on the western movement and the peopling of the U.S.

Instant Answers: Saint Louis

Comments

Hotels Near Gateway Arch
4.5 out of 5 stars