Saint Louis Zoo, Saint Louis

• Saint Louis Zoo
    by megs_entropy
  • Saint Louis Zoo
    by megs_entropy
    Penguiins in the coverd houses
    by BruceDunning
  • Beautiful Park-like Zoo and Free Admission!

by megs_entropy Updated May 31, 2013

The St. Louis Zoo is in a beautiful setting with lots of great animal exhibits. I especially like the penguins!

Admission for the zoo is free, rides on the train, movies and special exhibits cost extra. Parking in the zoo lot is $15, but if you get there around opening time there is plenty of free street parking and a free lot at the park just a short walk from the zoo.

• BruceDunning's Profile Photo

Zoo is Very Good Adventure

by BruceDunning Written Aug 21, 2010

Dome of the butterfly house

One of the finest zoos in the country-in fact rated in top 10. It is free to the open areas, and nominal charges for kid's section, special attractions and train rides; all no more than $5. The zoo covers about 200 acres and been in operation over 100 years, when it started after the 1904 World's Fair. is laid out in a very nice manner where you go in circles to see the sites.
    The butterfly house is especially good and has a number of species inside.

• Great zoo

by coachnos Written Aug 6, 2009

FREE
    +Food
    +Parking
    -------------
    A fun day

Okay so the free zoo cost us about $75, but it was worth it. Parking was $11, but if you plan you can park for free. Safari passes, a must have if you have kids $10 each (we got a coupon from a travel center for BOGO). Food can gat pricey, but you are allowed to bring your own (we wanted to experience to whole outing so we purchased ours, Parmesan CHk sandwich, BBQ pork sand, drinks, 2 kids meals + $23, 2 rootbeer floats, and a funnel cake sundae = $12).
    The exhibits are good. Best is penguin and Puffin Coast, up close and personal, we even got splashed by a penguin that was about 2 feet away (it is colder in this exhibit). The hippos were very close as well. If you get there during the first hour you can get into Stingrays at Carribean Cove free ($3 each otherwise) and pet live stingrays.
    Alot of walking.

• NaughtyArty's Profile Photo

One of the Best!

by NaughtyArty Written Jun 25, 2009

Go to the St. Louis Zoo! It is always ranked among the best in the country. I've been to many other zoos, including the famous San Diego Zoo. I thought ours was better. It's also FREE! That's right, you don't have to pay $16.50 per adult to get in.

• jandris's Profile Photo

Winter Picnic at the Zoo

by jandris Written Mar 11, 2008

Kids love the seals

When it warms up just a bit in late winter, Steve and I often head to the Zoo for a winter picnic. We pack sandwiches, chips, fruit and cookies in a paper bag, and either a thermos of hot coffee or buy some at Panera. The Zoo is free, and if you're willing to walk a bit to get there, you can park free, too along the side roads in Forest Park. We usually enter through the entrance near the Art Museum. There are tables on the outside of the Zoo Administration Building which also contains the Children's Zoo. We either turn left to see the bears or go across the railroad tracks and find a park bench in front of the lake with all the water birds. The seals are right there too. This time we just focused on going to the Bird House which is a great way to warm up if it is a little chilly. Also, the Zoo keeps a fantastic display of large and small birds in this house.

• LauraWest's Profile Photo

Excellent Zoo

by LauraWest Updated Dec 2, 2007
    map of zoo

If you have children, I am sure they would love a visit to our zoo. There's so much to see and do here. I haven't see some of the newest areas yet. Or the upgraded outdoor bird aviary that is over a hundred years old. It is really big, the cage and the zoo. There's a zoo train ride, a guided tour bus "train, " a children's zoo, playground, indoor exhibits, a penguin & puffin indoor building and much more.

This map might be a little old, but will give you a good idea of how big the place is. Oh, I almost forgot!! Admission to the main zoo entrances is FREE. The rides cost money & there are plenty of places to eat. A variety of cafes & you can bring a picnic, too. There are two zoo parking lots but they are not free. You might be able to find a good, free spot along a street curb. If you have little kids, be sure to bring a stroller.

• etfromnc's Profile Photo

Parklike setting and it's FREE

by etfromnc Written Nov 10, 2007

The St Louis Zoo is probably my favorite, although my first real life exposure to it probably cost me whatever chances I may have had with one of the prettiest young ladies that I ever dated. I had driven over from Omaha, NE for the weekend to meet the sister of one of my Air Force pals. I thought that we hit it off pretty well but apparently made the mistake of spending several hours at the zoo, which I enjoyed and thought would have been okay because she asked if I wanted to see it. When I returned to Omaha and work the following week, my buddy asked me if I took her to the zoo. When I said that I had, his face almost fell off. He immediately apologized and said that he had meant to warn me that she hated the zoo because "all of her first dates seem to end up there." After I left about a million messages on her answering machine, I told my pal that he should tell her not to suggest the zoo if she did not want to go there, but I never saw, nor even spoke to, her again. Nevertheless, I have been back to the zoo and always enjoy it even with the still haunting questions of "what might have been." The zoo is in a park-like setting in an even larger park. It doesn't have any particularly unique animals or displays but I suppose that I like it so much because it never seems crowded and you can travel through it at whatever pace you desire.

• Travel with Pets

• Nothing Like a day at the Zoo

by lv2qwlt Written Oct 16, 2007

The St. Louis Zoo is the best! Our family has been going here forever, just like our parents and grandparents did. It is a world renown zoo, and the people in the metropolitan area voted several times to pay a tax just to keep it free for everyone! Yep, that is right, no admission. What other zoo can say that?

The zoo is located on 77 acres in Forest Park, easy to find and easy to navigate. Because of the great citizen support, the zoo is always able to upgrade and improve. Although there are a lot of historical buildings in the park, plans are in the works to rework and improve the bear pits next. Add that to all the other newly renovated areas, and you have a very nice, family oriented zoo.

Open daily until dark, except closed Christmas Day.

• sabogg01's Profile Photo

Free with a lot to see and do!

by sabogg01 Written Sep 19, 2007

We went to the St. Louis Zoo in June and we loved it!! The zoo was large with a lot of exhibits. The animals seemed to be in a "natural" looking habitat with a lot of room for them to roam around. While the zoo was free, as was parking, there were a few things that was required to be paid for, but we had no problem buying lunch at the park with all of the free stuff that we had access to. Lunch at the zoo cafeteria was on average about $8 per person. Just do not go on a hot day, as shade is scarce! I would reccommend and most defiantly go back again!

• cckbp7's Profile Photo

Best Zoo in the Midwest

by cckbp7 Updated Mar 11, 2007

Sealion

The St. Louis Zoo is considered one of the best in the country. It is located in Forest Park about 10 min from downtown. I paticularly enjoy the Penguin and Puffin exhibit and the Big Cat Country. Admission is free. A great place to visit on a family vacation.

• SLLiew's Profile Photo

St. Louis Zoo - Zoo not to be missed!

by SLLiew Updated Jan 30, 2007

Took a tram and get off new this impressive zoo.

My usual favorites are the primates. Saw one of the best enclosures I have seen for gorillas. There are different walking levels and glass views for viewing to see the gorillas up close. Plenty of greenery and even artificial waterfalls within the enclosure.

The zoo is divided into different zones.
    1) River's Edge - Elephants, hyenas, cheetahs.
    2) The Wild - Penguins, bears, great apes.
    3) Discovery Corner - Petting animals for children.
    4) Historic Hill - Primates, birds, reptiles.
    5) Red Rocks - Big cats, zebras, giraffes, antelopes.
    6) Lakeside Crossing - Souvenir, refreshments.

Admission is free. A few optional attractions has admission fees.

Open daily 9am to 5pm. Closed for Christmas and New Year's Day.

If using the MetroLink, stop at Forest Park/DeBaliviere station and take connecting Metrobus.

• This is an outstanding zoo

by WaywardHoosier Updated Sep 26, 2006

The Zoo is free. It does cost to park across the street in the parking lot but it is free to park in the streets.

If you like zoos, this is a must visit. Historic buildings (for a zoo) and a history of excellence. This is the zoo that Marlon Perkins was the curator of when Mutual of Omaha's Wild Kingdom was on in the 60's and 70's.

• Hiking and Walking

• Free and nice to take children or a date

by rbjllj Written Jun 20, 2006

It's a great way if you don't have a lot of money visit the animals, and maybe before you go in have a nice picnic lunch at Forest Park or at the zoo at one of the tables.

It could be a nice first date where it can be just fun and not any expectations.

Also great if you have kids and dont want to spend a bunch of money.

• Betje's Profile Photo

The Zoo!!!

by Betje Updated Apr 19, 2006
    Where's my lunch???

No family trip is complete without a trip to the St. Louis Zoo!! Even by myself I had a fun time (even though my favorite animals', the gorillas and Chimpanzees, habitate was under construction and they weren't there). There are lots of animals to see from all over the globe- California Sea Lions, Asian Elephants, Giraffes, Polar Bears, Penguins, various birds, boa constrictors, the list goes on and on. There is something for everyone. Though know that in the winter, even though the zoo is open, there were quite a few animals not out in their "habitats".
    Def do try and catch the daily feedings of the bears, sea lions, and penguins---it was neat seeing the sea lions be tossed pounds upon pounds of makrel! :-)
    The Zoo is open 8am - 7pm (Memorial Day weekend-Labor Day) and 9am-5pm (the rest of the year)
    The Zoo is FREE (though if you want to park by the zoo it costs $9--though it all goes to the up-keep of the zoo).

• changeinlatitude's Profile Photo

The Best Zoo and It's Free

by changeinlatitude Updated Mar 4, 2006

St. Louis has one of the best Zoo's in the country. The best thing about it is it is FREE!!!!

What a great place to take your kids while you are here, or just the two of you. Walk through the very well maintained paths and see lions, tigars, monkies and soo much more.

They recently have finished the penguin facility and it is SPECTACULAR;

The Children's Zoo ia also a lot of fun. The kids can have hands on experience with all kinds of creatures. There is a fee to enter the Children's Zoo, but it is worth it.

The food, beer, soft drinks and other goodies are a little pricey, but all proceeds go directly back into the Zoo, so just keep that in mind.

Take the train ride. It is a great way to get around the entire Zoo and get a little rest at the same time. All conductors are volunteers and usually have been with the Zoo for many years. Again, there is a small fee for this ride, but it is fun.

Here is a little history of our Zoo. I hope you enjoy your visit.

"The Saint Louis Zoo has educated, entertained and earned a place in the hearts of St. Louisans for generations. With the Louisiana Purchase Exposition in 1904, there began a long and slow process to establish a zoological park. Sure enough, local pride in the giant elliptical bird cage led to formation of a St. Louis Zoological Society in 1910. The City of St. Louis set aside 77 acres in Forest Park for a zoo and named a Zoological Board of Control in 1913. State legislation provided that "the zoo shall be forever free," which has kept the Zoo accessible to millions of visitors ever since."

• Eco-Tourism

Instant Answers: Saint Louis

Comments

Hotels Near Saint Louis Zoo
4.5 out of 5 stars