Saint Louis Zoo, Saint Louis

by BruceDunning
  • etfromnc's Profile Photo

Parklike setting and it's FREE

by etfromnc Written Nov 10, 2007

The St Louis Zoo is probably my favorite, although my first real life exposure to it probably cost me whatever chances I may have had with one of the prettiest young ladies that I ever dated. I had driven over from Omaha, NE for the weekend to meet the sister of one of my Air Force pals. I thought that we hit it off pretty well but apparently made the mistake of spending several hours at the zoo, which I enjoyed and thought would have been okay because she asked if I wanted to see it. When I returned to Omaha and work the following week, my buddy asked me if I took her to the zoo. When I said that I had, his face almost fell off. He immediately apologized and said that he had meant to warn me that she hated the zoo because "all of her first dates seem to end up there." After I left about a million messages on her answering machine, I told my pal that he should tell her not to suggest the zoo if she did not want to go there, but I never saw, nor even spoke to, her again. Nevertheless, I have been back to the zoo and always enjoy it even with the still haunting questions of "what might have been." The zoo is in a park-like setting in an even larger park. It doesn't have any particularly unique animals or displays but I suppose that I like it so much because it never seems crowded and you can travel through it at whatever pace you desire.

• Travel with Pets

• LauraWest's Profile Photo

Excellent Zoo

by LauraWest Updated Dec 2, 2007
    map of zoo

If you have children, I am sure they would love a visit to our zoo. There's so much to see and do here. I haven't see some of the newest areas yet. Or the upgraded outdoor bird aviary that is over a hundred years old. It is really big, the cage and the zoo. There's a zoo train ride, a guided tour bus "train, " a children's zoo, playground, indoor exhibits, a penguin & puffin indoor building and much more.

This map might be a little old, but will give you a good idea of how big the place is. Oh, I almost forgot!! Admission to the main zoo entrances is FREE. The rides cost money & there are plenty of places to eat. A variety of cafes & you can bring a picnic, too. There are two zoo parking lots but they are not free. You might be able to find a good, free spot along a street curb. If you have little kids, be sure to bring a stroller.

• Zoo

• Free and nice to take children or a date

by rbjllj Written Jun 20, 2006

It's a great way if you don't have a lot of money visit the animals, and maybe before you go in have a nice picnic lunch at Forest Park or at the zoo at one of the tables.

It could be a nice first date where it can be just fun and not any expectations.

Also great if you have kids and dont want to spend a bunch of money.

• Betje's Profile Photo

The Zoo!!!

by Betje Updated Apr 19, 2006
    Where's my lunch???

No family trip is complete without a trip to the St. Louis Zoo!! Even by myself I had a fun time (even though my favorite animals', the gorillas and Chimpanzees, habitate was under construction and they weren't there). There are lots of animals to see from all over the globe- California Sea Lions, Asian Elephants, Giraffes, Polar Bears, Penguins, various birds, boa constrictors, the list goes on and on. There is something for everyone. Though know that in the winter, even though the zoo is open, there were quite a few animals not out in their "habitats".
    Def do try and catch the daily feedings of the bears, sea lions, and penguins---it was neat seeing the sea lions be tossed pounds upon pounds of makrel! :-)
    The Zoo is open 8am - 7pm (Memorial Day weekend-Labor Day) and 9am-5pm (the rest of the year)
    The Zoo is FREE (though if you want to park by the zoo it costs $9--though it all goes to the up-keep of the zoo).

• Zoo

• Beautiful Park-like Zoo and Free Admission!

by megs_entropy Updated May 31, 2013

The St. Louis Zoo is in a beautiful setting with lots of great animal exhibits. I especially like the penguins!

Admission for the zoo is free, rides on the train, movies and special exhibits cost extra. Parking in the zoo lot is $15, but if you get there around opening time there is plenty of free street parking and a free lot at the park just a short walk from the zoo.

• senoritamc's Profile Photo

The Zoo

by senoritamc Written Jul 24, 2005
    Large animals

I have been going to the Zoo for many years. As a child and now as an adult with my children. They are adding new things all the time. The Zoo is always free.

• senoritamc's Profile Photo

The Safari Pass

by senoritamc Written Jul 24, 2005
    Need a Safari Pass or pay a fee

With this pass you get to do all the special zoo activities without paying each fee. These fees can get to be expensive. The Safari pass is the only way to go.

Instant Answers: Saint Louis

Comments

Hotels Near Saint Louis Zoo
4.5 out of 5 stars