Related Montana Favorites Tips

Most Viewed Favorites in Montana

• EllenH's Profile Photo

Fun with kids

by EllenH Written Jan 8, 2005

Favorite thing: If you are traveling to Glacier with children and the weather is warm enough, Big Sky Water Slide is a pretty fun thing to do. It cost about $10 a person for all day, there are many slides for little kids up to ones I have never even dared to try. They also have a large hot pool to soak up some warmth if it isn't quite warm enough.

Fondest memory: One day travelling home form Glacier on my sons 16th birthday at the end of June, we had planned on going here. It was dumping buckets of rain and was 50 degrees out, so we just kept on driving. Needless to say it wasn't such a great birthday for him.

bombs away!
    • Theme Park Trips
    • Water Sports

• dantes2's Profile Photo

I have visited Montana on two...

by dantes2 Updated Jun 21, 2004

Favorite thing: I have visited Montana on two occasions, spurred on by a desire to see the beauty of the American West. My first driving trip started in Bozeman, and I drove east and south, finally making a leisurely tour through Yellowstone National Park. I was awestruck by the beauty of the country, the Rockies, the lakes, the endless expanse of cattle ranches. But Montana took me into western Wyoming and back up through Idaho.
    My second trip started in Kalispell and turned me north, eventually into Canada -Alberta and British Columbia.Throughout, the national parks were awe-inspiring and beautiful.Glacier, Grand Tetons, Yellowstone- a triumverate of American beauty. Not to mention the many others, some burning as well when I was there. The American West is an awesome place, an essential place to visit for any American who would like to think he grasps the grandeur of our country.

• Yaqui's Profile Photo

The Greater Billings Map

by Yaqui Written Jul 18, 2004

Favorite thing: I forgot I had this, so I thought it might be of some help for those who choose to venture to Montana and want to see what this need city has to offer. Enjoy!

Billings, Montana

• Architecture
    • Museum Visits

• Dymphna1's Profile Photo

Sky watching

by Dymphna1 Written Sep 12, 2011

Favorite thing: Montana is known as Big Sky country. When I look up at the sky I am amazed every time. Weather can best be gauged by looking up. A storm coming in can be seen for better than 75 miles in any direction. The height and color of the clouds can determine if there is going to be rain. Rain can be seen far off where it is raining on someone else. It is strange at times. I know when I lived in the country we could have rain on one side of a hill and nothing on the other side of it.

• richiecdisc's Profile Photo

enjoy Big Sky Country's amazing nature

by richiecdisc Updated Dec 4, 2009

Favorite thing: Montana is called Big Sky Country and for good reason, the sky seems to go on forever. It is a state full of glorious nature so by all means, get out and enjoy it.

Fondest memory: My first hike in Glacier National Park was in 1994:

The Garden Wall Trail in Glacier National Park is an amazingly scenic trail for the effort involved. The predominately flat trail is cut out of sheer rock cliff. The mountains here are not the jagged affairs just north in Alberta, but more the seeming remnants of an underwater age, reefs now exposed to an often harsh climate. Early on the trail we came across what we initially thought was a big white dog. As we drew closer, we realized it was a mountain goat and thought little of it until we noticed it scraping one hoof on the ground in some mad caricature impression of a Madrid bullfight. Not wanting to get gorged, we wedged ourselves close to the mountain wall and watched as he strutted past, the obvious owner of the path.

If this wasn't enough excitement for one trail, not much later I saw something large and dark coming our way through the air. It had to be a bird but seemed too far away for its apparent size. As it got closer, we realized it wasn't so far away after all, but was in fact incredibly large. It was the biggest bird either of us had ever seen. A Golden Eagle. Effortlessly it glided first towards and then past us, our awestruck eyes glued to its majestic presence. It was so big and powerful. Suddenly we were smaller and not just in relation to the eagle but in the whole scheme of things. Not humans with a landscape around us but now a landscape encompassing us as part. Sometimes not being special is the most special feeling of all.

toro, toro
    • National/State Park
    • Hiking and Walking

• butte's Profile Photo

Montana is full of things to...

by butte Updated Dec 22, 2002

Favorite thing: Montana is full of things to do, wildlife to view, fishing, hunting, skiing, hiking, biking, ect..., there is also plenty of indoor activities. If you are into bigger mining towns, check out Butte. Butte has the largest historic district in the western U.S. made by mining, there is wonderful arcitexture. Rides and museums and historical tours.

Fondest memory: If your into old ghost towns, Virgina City and that area is just for that, it has old buildings you can view, and if your there check out the Illustrious Virgina City Players, a great vaudville family theatre show.

• Little Big Horn was great for...

by Nitewarrior Written Aug 26, 2002

Favorite thing: Little Big Horn was great for its History Value.
    Red Lodge had the most wonderful little motel with outside Hot tub, to watch the snow on the mountains.
    Glacier National park was beautiful with its mountains and the Going to the Sun Road was great.

• Well, I'm from Kalispell,...

by mattie_77 Written Aug 24, 2002

Favorite thing: Well, I'm from Kalispell, Montana, so there are about a hundred things that you could do while visiting. One place that anyone should visit for definite 'atmosphere' and uniqueness is Mooses Saloon, located on Main street in Kalispell.

Fondest memory: The best thing is the scenery. The mountains here are amazing and there is always something to do if you like the outdoors.

• girlygirl's Profile Photo

Visit Glacier National Park...

by girlygirl Written Aug 24, 2002

Favorite thing: Visit Glacier National Park and take a hike. If you are lucky you will see lots of wildlife (mountain goats, bear, fish, birds, moose...) At the very least you will experience incredible scenery and fresh clean air and water.

Fondest memory: Hiking along Bowman Lake and finding a perfect spot to fish for Lake Trout. Then hiking back home and cooking what we caugh on the fire for dinner! Yum!

• Fond memories

by jayhawk2000 Updated Jun 29, 2005

Favorite thing: Montana has always been a ‘passing through’ place for me while on family vacations on our way from Kansas to Idaho and Washington State. Most times we’d drive through, stop every so often to eat or to fill up the car with gas, but we’d never look around much. What I have seen of Montana looks fantastic, and the state has some of the most sublime highways in America. Lolo Pass between Idaho and Montana is particularly stunning.

Fondest memory: As a kid, I was fascinated by the names of Montana’s big towns, like Missoula and Bozeman and Butte. Passing by most of these towns on the highway, you’ll see huge stone letters spelling out the town name on the hillside above.

• dreamworld's Profile Photo

LIBBY area...a tiny little...

by dreamworld Written Sep 12, 2002

Favorite thing: LIBBY area...a tiny little town on US2 road on the nort-western corner of the state. Have a look at the Kootenai Falls nearby and also at the Lake. The area is like most of the state, heavily forested, and wonderfully quiet and untouched !
    KALISPELL-WHITEFISH area...here you must absolutely take the cable car to Big Mountain (Whitefish). From the top the view is breathtaking...this is the 'real' Rocky Mountains. The area is pleasant with several small lakes and numerous rivers. You may be lucky to spot a bear (we weren't) around.
    GLACIER NATIONAL PARK is one of the most beautiful parks we did in North America. Ok, even in June, it was full of snow (be careful as it may open very late) and we had almost to resign to visit, but it suddenly re-opened. Drive through the park from west to east and you'll see huge waterfalls, beautiful forests, lakes and rivers...and of course some glaciers. Not everything is reachable by car, and the best way would be to do some hiking, but trails are quite long. Wildlife is rich and we spotted bighorn sheeps, rodents, one coyote and plenty of birds. Grizzlis and black bears are very difficult to see as you can imagine. This Natl Park must be on your Montana list for sure !

SHELBY is a great place to find cheap accomodation as it is the first 'big' town south of the Canadian border.
    GREAT FALLS is not really a beautiful city, but it's big for Montana standards (50000 people live here...). Just east of the city, drive along the Missouri river, there are some very beautiful panoramas.
    On the way to HELENA, the capital, stop at the Missouri River State Park...beautiful cliffs and nice views...though boat trips are a bit overpriced.
    HELENA is a small but very pleasant city, with a nice State Capitol and a beautiful park attached. It's one of the smallest State Capitals of the USA. Don't look for skyscrapers here. The MONTANA STATE CAPITOL is pictured.

BUTTE area is also a must to go. Butte being a mining town, you'll see all around traces of mining. Going to the northern end of the city (on a hill), you'll have good views of the surrounding. Interesting is the Mining Museum west of downtown, staff is extremely nice and helpful.
    BOZEMAN is another place to find cheap accomodation and it's the closest 'big' Montana city to the Yellowstone Natl. Park. Bozeman is holding several university buildings and therefore it looks like a 'college town' with great atmosphere.
    The road from Bozeman to the Yellowstone is really beautiful. See my Wyoming Page for details about the Yellowstone.

Fondest memory: BIG MOUNTAIN, Whitefish, Montana....from this summit, the view is unbvelievable !!! And right in front of you, you can look at free wildlife.

• KaiM's Profile Photo

Some quick facts: Montana has...

by KaiM Written Sep 12, 2002

Favorite thing: Some quick facts: Montana has about 902,000 citizens. Most part of the state (especially in the east) is cattle land and prairie. The rest is part of the Rocky Mountains (highest point: Granite Peak at 12,799 feet). The biggest cities are Billings, Helena and Missoula.

Fondest memory: The nature in Montana is beautiful. The most exciting moment was when I saw some wild moose walking in the middle of a small town. The state also has the largest migratory elk herd in the nation and the largest population of trumpeter swans.

• Rustler's Profile Photo

Anything outdoors will leave...

by Rustler Written Sep 7, 2002

Favorite thing: Anything outdoors will leave you with the sense of visiting a wonderous place that most people only dream of. As this is my hometowm area, it holds a special place in my heart. Hope the photos convey the beauty of this area.

• JrSkymonkey's Profile Photo

Do some fly fishing. Montana...

by JrSkymonkey Written Aug 26, 2002

Favorite thing: Do some fly fishing. Montana has a wealth of great rivers and small streams that are teaming with trout. Fly fishing is a terribly addicting sport dont expect to only do it once. Seeing the countryside via a river boat is a great way to spend a day. In just about any part of Montana you will have great fishing and see elk, deer, eagles, and maybe even a bear.

Fondest memory: Calling a huge 6x6 elk (a real elk near Superior not one of the pets of the Gardner heard) to within 40 yards while bow hunting. He was far too smart to be fooled by me and it was almost a religious experience watching his enormous antlers move through the trees as he trotted away after realizing I wasnt another bull elk.

• pollon's Profile Photo

You don't have absolutely to...

by pollon Written Aug 25, 2002

Favorite thing: You don't have absolutely to take 'this' to reach Montana but I had to because it was the only mean of transport from where I was... I didn't feel very confortable when I saw it and the way people were checked in before the flight... but it worked perfectly and I reached Billings all in one piece!

I'm not making fun saying that my father's degree at University dealt with this kind of plane, not exactly the newest model!!

Montana Hotels

3 Hotels
Lolo Hotels
4 Hotels

Instant Answers: Montana

Comments

Montana Favorites

Reviews and photos of Montana favorites posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Montana sightseeing.
Map of Montana