Hamilton Restaurants

• travelgourmet's Profile Photo

THE KITCHEN: BREAKFAST SPECIALS

by travelgourmet Updated Mar 3, 2010

Front Entrance to The Kitchen

Okay. There are more restaurants in Hamilton than "Spice of Life" and this is one of them, almost across the street. A simple diner but with the feel of yesteryear. Straight forward food and prices. The friendly staff and the noisy patrons attest to the satisfaction of the food. I enjoyed the model trains hanging on the tracks near the top of the walls. Seems as though breakfast is the meal to have here.

Favorite Dish: A whopping quesadilla omelet with all the fillings. Quesadilla is a mexican flour tortilla (flat bread) and all the fillings includes: ham, cheese, bell pepper, onions, and eggs (beaten and fried, omelet style).

• Seniors

• travelgourmet's Profile Photo

SPICE OF LIFE: THE HAUNT OF VTer EllenH

by travelgourmet Updated Mar 3, 2010

VTer EllenH at the grand bar

According to my high school buddy, the Spice of Life Restaurant is one of the better places to dine out in Hamilton. I missed out due to the Holiday Weekend. They were closed. Can you believe that I drove 1206 miles to have a dinner at the Spice of Life and it was closed. Wow!!!

I did see someone moving around inside, so I knocked, and lo and behold it was VTer EllenH who answered the door. It was great to see and meet Ellen and her son, Bryan, who was home for the summer from the University he attends. Ellen greeted me like she had known me for years. Maybe I didn't get to dine at the Spice of Life, but after meeting Ellen, I am sure she is one of the reasons for the popularity of the restaurant.

• Wine Tasting

• tracy69's Profile Photo

The Bank: Tasty and affordable

by tracy69 Written Jun 13, 2007

Food was delicious, affordable and the service was wonderful. The atmosphere was so relaxing and peaceful! I was so taken care of and I will most definately return for another steak in a month or two.

Favorite Dish: The steak, fresh veggies and the fresh bread.

• Casino and Gambling
    • Fishing
    • Camping

• The Signal Grill: Great Food, Great Service

by LouiseMiller Written Jul 13, 2006

Signal Grill is in historic downtown Hamilton. The food is the best in the Bitterroot Valley. Best, natural steaks and prime rib, European Pizzas on Thursday nights and Sushi on Wednesday nights. Best burgers (reminds me of the old Signal Bar burgers with their "secret" sauce!); fish and chips, ribs, and seafood are the best by far anywhere in the valley. Wine list is extensive and they pour local beers as well.
    Housemade desserts are incredible. From Creme Brulee to blackberry cobbler with vanilla bean ice cream.

Favorite Dish: Prime Rib is excellent and desserts are all great.

• johngayton's Profile Photo

Maggie's: Yet Another American Breakfast Rave!

by johngayton Updated Mar 13, 2006

A (modern) Touch of the Old West!

If you didn't know Maggie's was here you would never find it purely by chance. The entrance is on Main Street and if you were passing you would assume that the doorway leads to a solicitors firm or some such like.

This is definitely a hidden gem and according to our local guides (Ellen and Joe) second only to the "Spice of Life" as the place to eat in Hamilton, certainly for breakfast!

I am calling it "breakfast" though I suppose 10,30 am on a Sunday morning should really count as "brunch" and the fact that we didn't leave until gone midday amplifies the brunch aspect!

Maggie's breaks away from the formica table, blousy waitress, sweaty T-shirted cook, Americana, but replaces it with something equally American - the new masquerading as the old: with its banistered staircase and wood-panelling, the glass-topped tables attempting a touch of modernity - a confusion of identity.

But this is not to say that it doesn't work - this is a local's place and has a great feel about it,

Favorite Dish: I can't remember the exact menu descrition of my breakfast, but it consisted of Habenero sausage (made in-house and delish!), a rosti type potato, a couple of eggs, wholewheat toast and copious coffee. The portions are such that if you want to split a breakfast between two they are more than happy to do so.

For the 4 of us the bill was fractionally over $30, which for a relaxing (and filling) Sunday breakfast/brunch in "upscale" suroundings was definitely a steal!

• dmwmtgal's Profile Photo

Spice of Life: Good Food, No Service

by dmwmtgal Written Aug 3, 2005

The food was a good value. However, the service left a lot to be desired. The waitress bordered on rude and treated us like we were an inconvenience. For my buck, I'd rather go across the street to "The Kitchen" where the food and service are both excellent.

Favorite Dish: I had the spinach salad - wasn't completely awful, but I've had better. We also had the black bean burrito, very good value for $5.00

• EllenH's Profile Photo

Spice of Life cafe: best restaurant in hamilton

by EllenH Updated Jan 5, 2005

the old bar is kind of our lunch counter

ok im so prejudiced because i have worked at the spice for a long time but we are so the best and coolest place in town...(that would be why i work there) also live music from missoula on wed. nights, not advertising but if you were in hamilton this is where you would want to go.

Favorite Dish: my most favorite and when i get to eat there (not working) is the beef tenderloin filet. hands down the best steak ever. hand cut montana beef doesn't get much better then that.

Instant Answers: Hamilton

Comments

Hamilton Restaurants

Reviews and photos of Hamilton restaurants posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Hamilton sightseeing.