Stevensville Travel Guide

st. mary's mission

Stevensville Things to Do

saint mary's mission 3 more images

by lar-n-me Updated Oct 19, 2005

Established in 1841 by Fr. Pierre DeSmet, S.J., in response to repeated requests by various Indian tribes. The interior of the chapel has been restored to its colors of the 1880 era. Its furnishings are the handiwork of Fr. Anthony Ravalli, S.J., Montana's first medical doctor. The attached study and dining room, as well as Fr. Ravalli's house/pharmacy, are completely restored and refurnished with items made by him.

Tours Daily:
    April 15 - October 15
    Adults $3.00
    Students $1.50
    Website: saint mary's mission

haunted?

by lar-n-me Updated Apr 30, 2004

There are three floors to the junior high school but one is abandoned. Its said that a girl that went to school there hung herself in a classroom (it was the high school at the time). A few years after that they reopened the floor and the janitor was cleaning, when she looked over the girl's spirit was coming towards her. A couple other janitors said they saw her and could here her crying, students often hear noises from behind the locked door.
    The school is actually known as one of the country's well known haunted locations.

• Stevensville Hotels

1 Hotels in Stevensville

25 Reviews and Opinions

Stevensville Hotels

Stevensville Off The Beaten Path

trapper peak

by lar-n-me Updated Dec 28, 2004

Directions:
    Drive south of Stevensville for an awesome view of Trapper Peak (seen from the hwy). it's a fun, challenging hike, too, if you've got the whole day, a record book at the top for recording your name. Grand views from the peak which is 10,157 feet above sea level .

The best way to reach the trailhead is by driving south of Darby on U.S. 93 for 4.1 miles, turning west and driving 11.5 miles to Lavene Creek, and turning right again. Follow the gravel road for .6 miles to a junction. Take the left fork and follow the sign pointing to Troy Creek and Trapper Peak. Climb this road four miles to the trailhead, which lies just past a switchback. This trailhead is simply a wide spot with parking for a few cars.

Stevensville Favorites

• by browncn1 Written Jun 10, 2003

Favorite thing: There are three places to visit.
    The Bitteroot River.

The Saint Mary's Mission.

The main street.

Great to visit for a day. Bring a metal detector. Found rare, old, valuable coins as a kid. Lewis and Clark passed through with many others.

Fondest memory: Spent days at the Bitteroot River jumping off the bridge into the water with my friend Mike. Fished the River with my father.

At the Mission my best friend and I tried to find the oldest graves. Hiked several times through the fields behind the Mission out to the river.

When the bus dropped me off from school in the afternoon I would walk down the main street passing the small shops. I would stop in at the ice cream parlor and get a malt and play video games. I would also visit with the employees and owners.

• Fishing
    • Study Abroad

• by skeeter1060 Written Aug 24, 2002

Favorite thing: When I lived in Stevensville there wasn't much to do except go to the movies. I hear the movie house (on main st) isn't there anymore. I wonder if they built a new one somewhere else or if the kids have to go Missoula or Hamilton to see a movie now?

Fondest memory: I miss sneaking into the public pool in the middle of the night with my friends Tammy Daniels and Cheryl Weitzel! I miss the police shining their flashlights into the pool trying to catch us!
    I miss crusin' down main street with Steve Dayton playing 'Convoy' on the p.a. system on his truck!
    I miss the one blinking red light in the middle of main street!

• Ask a Question

Got a question about Stevensville? Get an answer from our Location locals and frequent travelers

Instant Answers: Stevensville

Comments

Stevensville Travel Guide
Map of Stevensville