Gateway to Western Nebraska, friendly people
it's small, but is that a bad thing?
standing in the middle of armageddon - and where peace was created from?
Kimball is host to the very nice Plains Historical Museum. The museum is located in the old Fraternal Hall (which is listed on the National Register of Historic Places) and houses displays about the history of the town, the county and the plains region of Nebraska.
Kimball has a nice little historic district with a few buildings of historic and/or architectural interest.
Kimball is a fairly small town of about 2500. It is located in the Southwest corner of the horn of Nebraska, near the borders with Wyoming and Colorado. The highest point in Nebraska (Panorama Point at 5424 feet) is nearby. Kimball is the county seat of Kimball County.
THIS USED TO BE THE PLACE TO EAT, but we have not eaten there for years. It used to have a name, but now...?
Look at the sign...can you figure out what the name of the place is?
Favorite Dish: I don't remember.
You can find them on any road map - the highest point for any State. Panorama Point at 5424 feet is the highest point in Nebraska and offers a nice view of the Western Nebraska high plains and on a clear day, the Rocky Mountains of Colorado. It's a drive more than a hike on private property. The landowners are kind enough to keep access open to the public - however they do charge 2 dollars for a car to pass onto the land. Payable at the self-serve paystation at the gate (bring a pen).
- Leave I-80 on US 30 to enter the town of Pine Bluff (north side of I-80).
- Go south on Beech Street, which is on the east side of town. This is county road #164.
- Pass under I-80 and go about 9(?) miles to road #203 leaving left (east).
- Follow this road, which jogs south and becomes road #6, for 3.4 miles.
- Turn right (south) on road #5 and go 2.0 miles.
- The dirt road to Panorama Point leaves right (west), just a hair north of the Colorado state line. You can drive the 1.3 miles to Panorama Point (perfectly passable).