Omaha Restaurants

Our appetizer sampler
    Baklava at the Greek Islands

Most Recent Restaurants in Omaha

• xoxoxenophile's Profile Photo

The Greek Islands: Amazing Greek food!

by xoxoxenophile Written Oct 18, 2013

The Greek Islands

Like a lot of Greek restaurants, it has sort of a Santorini theme to it on the inside. The food is amazing! My family eats there any time we are in Omaha. It's the place where I first tried Greek food when I was little, and so far I think I've only found one other restaurant that even compares. Definitely worth a stop if you're in Omaha. Prices are pretty reasonable as well.

Favorite Dish: Gyros! The gyro meat is amazing--I would say spectacularly seasoned. We ordered an appetizer sampler which had a TON of gyro meat on it, plus some other foods. The baklava is also delicious--sweet, but there is depth to the flavor. It's not too sweet or doughy like a lot of baklava I've had. They also have saganaki which is flamed tableside, and which I definitely want to try next time!

Mimis: Mimi serves good food

by Rich62 Written May 12, 2012

We have eaten in two Mimis, one in Texas and this one in Nebraska. Both have excellent wait staffs who really know whats on the menu, and both serve well-prepared food.

Favorite Dish: I love the Albacore Tuna and Avacado sandwich. I do believe they slice up an entire avacado and include all of it in the sandwich. Its $9.49 on the 2012 menu, and its worth it.

Their muffins are very tasty as well.

My only complaint was that the Rasberry iced tea was weak.

Saigon: Chinese Influenced American Taste Bud oriented

by cochinjew Updated Mar 17, 2012

I think this restaurant used to be closer to downtown. i was looking to buy a carry on luggage when i saw the sign and decided to alight to have lunch
    Pleasant atmosphere
    very vietnamese looking young lady, obviously american by her accent
    no vietnamese people eating here , mainly suburbunites

Favorite Dish: I ordered Bun Ga Xao. the lovely waitress came to say that they didnt know what it was, perhaps it was my pronounciation, i wrote it down on paper..
    they said they can make it and believe you me, it had nothing to do with bun ga xao.. tasted a third rate chinese dish from a chinese take out ..

next time i will try a bun bo hue or pho and see whether they can make up an authentic one
    from the looks of it they are catering for americans and the quality is just not vietnamese

so dont go here thinking you would get something vietnamese.. you will get something american

Saigon Surface: Yet another Failed Asian Fusion Attempt

by cochinjew Written Jun 4, 2011

Coming to Omaha one has the vexing question.. where to eat? not what should you eat.. this is not a culinary spot. so i was happy when someone suggested a new Asian Fusion resto called Saigon Surface.. the significance of the name was lost on me.
    Extremely slow service and tardy to begin with.
    Decor: more SF than Hanoi
    Food: more california than Vietnam
    Service: more africa than america
    Food: very ordinary. lacked that special pungent feeling one gets when eating viet food. The chef if he is the one whose name is displayed is Vietnamese but this tasted like viet food cooked by a Mexican apprentice.
    Very poor service

Favorite Dish: The menu is limited and the usual Pho Hui Tiu and some viet sounding dishes. I ordered Shrimp with lemongrass rice and accoutrements.. very bland.
    a glass of seaglass sauvignon blanc, large glass with a few mouthfuls for 7 dollars..

• kimberbakos's Profile Photo

Noodles and Co.: Use your noodle - EAT HERE!

by kimberbakos Updated Apr 4, 2011

This place is the best for quick, not fast, food when you want to sit down in a real restaurant, not a place with a playground. A nice, adult, atmosphere, but totally kid friendly, too! The price is right, too, and so is the variety.

Favorite Dish: My son would vote for the chicken noodle soup - he ate a small bowl one day for lunch, and when we came back the next day, he ordered the big bowl and polished it off, too. Not bad for a small five year old! But my potstickers won him over - he tried one on the second visit, and ordered his own plateful the next time!
    I LOVE the potstickers - so much lighter than what you get at a Chinese restaurant. I ate every bite, and could have had a few more, too. The spicy peanut noodle salad was really good, too, but a little too spicy for me by the end of the salad. The pad thai was ok, but not as good as the other two things I tried.

The Natural Food Cafe: Arrogance and Pretentious

by cochinjew Updated Jun 17, 2010

I wanted to try this place and it was on a sunday morning. the service was so slow that after 40 minutes nothing had happened. the server was very morose . the place had many young and enthusiastic college students serving but i had the misfortune of getting a man who curtly said: we dont have milk for your coffee.. nothing came anyway. so i decided to leave, very rarely do i leave restaurants. a spent blonde, elderly who had spent too much time in the sun, was at the till and i was told that she was the manager, when i told her that i had been waiting for 40 minutes and I was leaving, she arrogantly said: okay good bye without even an apology. She has lost a customer but all my friends from the area will know about it and it has brought lots of bad feelings towards the restaurant . I shall not go there again .

Favorite Dish: my eating partner for this restaurant is my dear Mi Hu Sa, my UmonHon Indian friend with enormous aethetic talent. I am glad she is in Omaha currently so I get to see her on each of my visits to the reservation of her people. She also promised not to go there any more, nor her friends.
    I do not recommend this place.

Tussey's Casual Grill: A really nice place

THIS IS IT.

Its a very nice place for a casual meal. One evening they had a three-piece musical group playing blues music. What was especially nice was that they kept the voume down so that you could enjoy the music but also enjoy conversation with your friends.

Here are sample prices from their menu in September 2009:

NAPA Chicken Sandwich (grilled breast served on a toasted wheat bun with pico de gallo and queso blanco.....$7.29

Bourbon-glazed pork chops $12.99

Honey-grilled salmon......$15.99

Mediterranean Pasta.....$12.99

Chocolate Torte.....$3.99

Sodas...$1.75, coffee....$1.95

Favorite Dish: I remember they have a good Sesame Blu Cheese Chicken Salad for $8.99, but really everything seems to be good.

a tip: If you order hot tea, ask to see their flavored tea choices.

THE AMAZING PIZZA MACHINE: GREAT FOR YOUNG KIDS

THE AMAZING PIZZA MACHINE IN OMAHA

Food-wise, it's ok, not bad, not great. You go there for the entertainment for your young children, and while there you eat pizza etc. from a buffet.

Favorite Dish: nothing strikes me as being great.

CLICK THE PHOTO to go inside and get an idea of the fun that the kiddos have here.

• School Holidays

THE MARKET BASKET: A NICE LUNCH SPOT

COME ON IN

Just a nice place to have lunch, maybe pick up some bakery items, plus they have a nice selection of Stonewall Kitchen products (jams & jellies, mustards, chutneys, etc.) available for purchase at reasonable prices.

• Rich62's Profile Photo

Prima 140 Bistro: A "European/American Bistro"

MY TASTY DESSERT

A very nice restaurant in the western part of Omaha. The chefs obviously take a lot of pride in the preparation and presentation of their dishes.

Favorite Dish: The tasty dessert pictured below...as I recall it was a sort of plum/cheesecake type of dessert. Anyway it was very good.

• Wine Tasting

"O": Oh My!

by Rich62 Updated Mar 30, 2009

Very urban/hip, somewhat upscale yet casual and comfortable.

Menu includes - Appetizers such as Crab Wontons ($5.95), Soups & Stews such as Miso Soup (cup $2.95 or bowl for $5.95), Salads such as Garlic Seared Tuna Salad ($10.95), Asian Fares such as Chicken Curry (lunch$7.50 or dinner $9.95), Steak/Beef such as Infused Sliced Rib Steak ($13.95), Pork such as Mapo Tofu ($9.95), Chicken such as Lemon Grass Chicken ($11.95), Pasta & Fried Rice such as Beef Glass Noodles (9.25) Seafood such as Mussels in the Half Shell ($12.95), Vegetarian Dishes and Sides such as Snow Pea Asparagus Vegetable Union ($7.95), and Traditional such as Beef Broccoli ($11.95).

These were the prices on March 28, 2008.

The waitress was knowledgeable and friendly. It was a very enjoyable first visit. We would definitely go back.

CLICK THE PHOTO TO SEE THE VIEW ACROSS THE STREET!

Favorite Dish: I had "Garlic Shrimp" for $13.95. The menu states "Garlic and scalions emanate through this bountiful shrimp dish. I also had "Distinctive Seafood Bisque" which the menu calls "A Hearty homage to a traditonal French staple."

With non-alcoholic beverages, the three of us had a total bill of $61.90 before the tip.

Restaurant at Omaha Hilton: Money does not buy Taste

by cochinjew Written Sep 21, 2008
    Lovely company much better than the food

What can you say about a fancy restaurant when two dishes had to be returned for being too salty and decoration on one plate consisted of a few corns? scattered on the plate.
    I have eaten at a few places this year in America, Europe, Asia and Australia and this must rank as one of the worst
    i was chosen to select the wines, and two wines i chose were both not available, not availabl? from such a short wine list?

Favorite Dish: After making sure that it was wild salmon, rather than some domesticated variety from some pond in north dakota, i settled for salmon, which was cooked reasonably well. there were many meat dishes and very few fish or other choices.
    the ambience was good, we were given our own dining area, the dining area was empty and the waiter was pleasant and knowledgeable but we can t say that about the cook, the quality of the food was mediocre. all wines were priced around 50 usd about five times their price in the wine store which is called gouging.. and the wine list was minimalist. i asked for a malbec and a syrah only two listed but they didnt have it, had to drink two reasonably tasty reds from california..at 50 usd a piece

V Mertz: Very Pretentious Restaurant in Old Market

by cochinjew Written Sep 21, 2008
    an apertif for Barbie or Ken

I was looking forward to my dinner at this restaurant. when i entered with seven other people, the decor was welcoming and the waiters formal and non smiling and most disappointingly the place was full of visiting businessmen, in fact our table was the only one with women (four out of eight).
    The disappointment deepened when the waite appeared with something which one of the guests remarked: is that food for Barbie?
    Two bottles of wine was chosen by a knowledgeable psychiatrist which was enjoyable. the main dish i wanted, of alaskan salmon based dish, was available only to two guests who ordered before me, so i decided to order something else. Service was courteous and efficient, but most importantly we were there to dine with friends and solid friendships were being found and i could converse with almost everyone one at our table, so the evening was extremely pleasant, and it was not due to the food or service, despite of it

Favorite Dish: I chose a grass fed lamb, from oregon. there were meat dishes prominent on the menu, hardly any fish dishes and the range was limited.
    it is probably, with the exception of the restaurant at the Hilton Hotel, is the most expensive restaurant in Omaha

• nickolasandsara's Profile Photo

Jazz - A Louisiana Kitchen: New Orleans style cookin'

by nickolasandsara Written Jul 29, 2008

Hot and spicy, totally yummy. The atmosphere was great...it felt like I was in a photo I've seen of Bourbon Street in New Orleans. The food was awesome, and the waitstaff was super nice.

Favorite Dish: Blackened chicken pasta...spicy and satisfying, so good.

• cochinjew's Profile Photo

O's Restaurant and Lounge: Asian Fusion Cuisine..French? Fusion with Asia?

by cochinjew Written Apr 24, 2008

This is listed as a French Asian Fusion Cuisine but it is more like Midwestern Home cooking done by an Asian. The decor of the restaurant is good, minimalistic. The service is the usual, my name is so and so I will be your waiter, but not knowledgeable, just doing their job for their 15 per cent tip.
    My eating partner in Omaha, Mi Hu Sa selected this restaurant and we were so engrossed in our conversation, we paid scant attention to anything else. The Waitress who was pregnant, broke the cork while opening the bottle, that is okay, but she did bring the wrong bottle of wine in the begining. Dont forget we are in Omaha, not a Metropolitan town in the USA..
    I enjoyed my eating out in the Old market area, and the food is reasonably priced and the wines are also reasonably priced.

Favorite Dish: The rib steaks were a good choice by Mi Hu Sa. it tasted good. My choice was chicken in asparagus and mushroom, that was not fusion but much more midwestern home cooking. The owner is a chinese from omaha and that shows.
    I had just come from a week in Australia and one week in Asia, so dont be too perturbed if my comments are a little acerbic. For Omaha, this is a restaurant I recommend.

Instant Answers: Omaha

Comments

Omaha Restaurants

Reviews and photos of Omaha restaurants posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Omaha sightseeing.