I recommend you avoid all of the following things:
1. Anything west of 102nd and Dodge: Unless you love generic cookie-cutter houses, chain restaurants and things of that nature, I would avoid driving west of this street. Village Point is a big outdoor commercial mall that you can find in any other city.
2. Fun Plex: A very small "amusement park." If you want to hit a theme park, plan a three hour drive to K.C. or Des Moines.
3. Crossroads Mall: This mall should be added to the list at deadmalls.com. There is hardly anything in this mall. It's pretty much a ghost town now.
4. Lanoma Beach: Nebraskas sad excuse of a beach is dirty, gross and boring
5. Rick's Boatyard: It just adds a big building to the river front. No matter how you try, the Missouri River is ugly, period. Oh, and the food isn't very good either. Omaha isn't a big seafood city.
6. The Outlet Mall: You might see this if you decide to go to the Space Museum or day trip to Lincoln. Drive past this. Nebraska big attempt to create a visitor shopping destination failed with flying colors. Very few stores are left.
Avoid the northside at all costs!!!!
I have lived in Columbus, Ohio and Denver, Colorado and I can tell you that North Omaha is the worst neighborhood I have ever been in. This part of town is filled with drive-by shootings, prostitution and urban decay.
- Budget Travel
The casinos are definitely a...
The casinos are definitely a tourist trap. Although the Council Bluffs casinos are drastically better than the ones in Kansas City, they are still a waste of money. If you want to throw away your money, just give it to a crack addict, as it would be better used that way...
If you are looking for the same level of excitement, there is a methodone clinic here, you could go there and ask them for a glass of milk. This will be far more exciting than a bloody slot machine. ;-)
The Old Market - Everyone will...
The Old Market - Everyone will tell you to go here, but there is nothing to do! You might be able to find something you have to buy, but it'll be rare. We've all walked on cobblestone before..believe me, this isn't worth your time or energy.