Places to eat in Nebraska

Our appetizer sampler
    Baklava at the Greek Islands

Most Viewed Restaurants in Nebraska

• Florida999's Profile Photo

Spaghetti Works: All you can eat Spaghetti!

by Florida999 Updated Oct 2, 2006

Someone told me about this place, or we would have never thought of going there.
    Warning: DON'T GO THERE, if you are on a diet, especially low carb....

The place looks like an old warehouse or something, but nice enough on the inside. The food was great. This is how it works: you order the "all you can eat pasta" , and then pick items from the menu. You start with the pasta ( they have different kinds like spaghetti, fettucine, angel hair etc.) , then you pick a sauce, plus another toping like meatballs if you like. You get a small bowl , and after you are finished , you start over with the next bowl.

I had to stop after 4 bowls and did not eat again for a long time....
    Great place to take kids. They do have a salad bar that is included also, if you get tired of pasta.

Favorite Dish: Mine was the fettucine with green pesto cream sauce, and the chili spagetti. I did not like the beer sauce.

• Stephen-KarenConn's Profile Photo

Bassett Lodge and Range Cafe: Relive a Bygone Era in Bassett, Nebraska

by Stephen-KarenConn Updated Aug 2, 2004

My lunch at the Range Cafe is a good example of why I enjoy traveling to small towns, and why I am determined to visit every county in the United States at least once in my lifetime. While driving across the sandhills of north-central Nebraska I stopped at mid-day in this small town of 743 people to look for a place to eat. Downtown on Main Street, the Range Cafe looked like the best choice in town. Walking in the front door was like stepping back in time. The building and the business date back to the late 1800s, and they look little changed since that time except for a few modern touches like air conditioning and electric lights. I seriously doubt if the place had seen any major remodeling for 50 years.

The service was friendly, the food was very good, and as I was finishing my meal an elderly gentleman came up to my table and asked if I were a traveling man. Obviously they don't get many tourists in Bassett. We talked for a while, he told me he was a cattle rancher and the owner of the cafe and the adjoining lodge. He offered to show me around. The lodge was a fascinating place, like a living page-out-of-time. In fact, he showed me an actual page - an 1880's newspaper he had recently found in one of the walls of the hotel. On the paper was a note scribbled by one of the builders of the hotel who had placed it in the wall to be found more than a century later.

As my host and I chatted I learned much of the history of the Nebraska Sandhills country, and of the ups and downs of the cattle industry. Bassett, Nebraska and this extraordinary friendly gentleman (I didn't even get his name) offered me one of those magical travel moments, the memory of which I will always treasure.

Favorite Dish: I had the lunch special: Two bratwurst links, mashed potatoes with gravy, buttered corn-on-the-cob, green beans, a trip to the salad bar, and iced tea, all for only $5.50.

The Lyceum: History, Books, Good Food in Brownville

by Basaic Written Oct 4, 2013

The Lyceum is a combination bookstore and cafe type restaurant located in an historic building in historic Brownville. It is family run and has a friendly atmosphere. We had a cute waitrees who does not want her photo on the Internet. The menu is mostly lighter with sandwiches, soups, and quiche. Daily specials. Hours are 11 AM to 8 PM Wednesday through Sunday.

• A state-wide favorite is...

by HuskerFan Written Aug 25, 2002

A state-wide favorite is Valentino's, a Pizza chain. When in Nebraska you also must try a Runza (also the name of a fast-food chain). These are from Germany, and are browned burger with onions and Saur Kraut wrapped in dough and baked.

Lincoln has several 'must visit' restaurants. These include Lazlo's in the Haymarket district. For the best prime rib anywhere, you must go to Misty's on Havelock Avenue. Finally, if you like Vietnamese food, Vien Dong near the downtown campus is outstanding. I am 'addicted' to their beef lagoo noodle soup.

• brdwtchr's Profile Photo

Edelweiss German Restaurant is...

by brdwtchr Written Aug 25, 2002

Edelweiss German Restaurant is not a big fancy place. It has good home made German cooking.
    Good food at good prices in a nice clean place... what more could you want?

Favorite Dish: Sampler plate so I could have a little of every thing. I had never been to a German restaurant before. The different sausages, wieners, and brats were my favorite.

• I completely recommend the...

by ChiBronco Written Aug 24, 2002

I completely recommend the restaurants on the Gambling
    Casino River Boats dotting the River between Omaha
    and Council Bluffs,Iowa.The Food is excellent in every
    single one of them and are Very,Very Popular among
    Omaha Residents.It is a place to Have a Good time and
    Enjoy good food at an extremely reasonable price.
    The Casino Boats (Harvey's for one) are Omaha's answer
    to Las Vegas and the Clientele is very,very well dressed.
    All the Food is great for an outlandishly low price plus there
    is so much to do on the boats.

Favorite Dish: The Steaks are absolutely mouth-watering here at these
    Casino boats.Omaha is the home of the Best Steaks
    in the World and You will keep coming back for more.
    Dont expect an Outrageous bill here either because it's
    a Buffet(Like in Las Vegas) at all the Casino Boats.

Gordan Howards/Oregon Trail...

by kim83_50158 Written Aug 24, 2002

Gordan Howards/Oregon Trail Wagon Train>>It is an experience in itself. Not ordinary by any means.
    Every night there is a cookout followed by fireside 'entertainment'.
    The whole evening is spent outdoors. The steak is cooked over an open wood fire. Cooks and everyone else who works every night to make the cookouts possible very nice and interesting people! It's near the river, so there trails to go to the river. 3 cabins that can be rented. Horshoes. Covered Wagon History Tour of Oregon Trail(short/local). Afterwards, all the guests gather around the campfire and sing with the cowboys. It's so much fun! And the sunset is gorgeous! The entire experience is not to be missed!!

Favorite Dish: They are famous for their steak. (16 oz. Ribeye Steaks) The meal also includes: Baked Potato, Creamed Green Beans, Sourdough Bread(to die for!), Homemade Ice Cream, Cowboy Coffee & Iced Tea.

Runza's--It's a chain...

by kim83_50158 Written Aug 24, 2002

Runza's--It's a chain throughout Nebraska and maybe some other surrounding states(with exception of Iowa). It has wonderful food!!! I've been craving it for years now. But we don't have any anywhere near here.
    It is a fast-food restaurant in most cases. Unless you know you like it, don't search one out, well unless of course there's really no other place to eat. It's not fancy or anything. But it is great food!!!!

Favorite Dish: Their specialty is the 'Runza'. It's a cabbage burger. It is bread completely surrounding ground beef and other ingredients. There are all different varieties like all cheese, plain(just meat), and many different other kinds(it's been awhile). Their french fries are wonderful, as well. My mouth is watering just thinking about it.

• kim83_50158's Profile Photo

Valentino's--There are 51 that...

by kim83_50158 Written Aug 24, 2002

Valentino's--There are 51 that exist throughout the midwest, although 90% are in Nebraska. Some other states with a couple include: Minnesota, South Dakota, Pennsylvania, Kansas, Iowa. I think that's all.
    It's buffet-style eating. Eat as much as you want. Not a bad deal. Nice family atmosphere.

Favorite Dish: Pizza, pasta, dessert, etc. In Norfolk, they usually have warm caramel breadsticks. They are wonderful. The pasta at Valentino's is excellent.

• Toughluck's Profile Photo

Piccolo's and other Omaha establishments: Great Steaks

by Toughluck Written Sep 14, 2007

Actually, the best steak places in Omaha, are Itallian. Spaghetti is always a side dish instead of potatoes or a vegetable. I place Piccolo's as the best in Omaha. There are many others that are excellent. See my Omaha, restaurant tips.

Favorite Dish: Steak, filet mignon is excellent.

• Darling's Cafe: HIDDEN JEWEL

by RonBR Updated Jun 30, 2009

Hidden Jewel!!!!!!!!!
    by RonBR
    Pros: Service, Food, Smiling Staff & Customers...etc.....
    Cons: What's not to like June 30, 2009
    I grew up in Nebraska and have experienced the delicious home cooking of many small town cafes. Darling's brought a flood of pleasent memories. My daughter, son-in-law and 2 grand- children (ages 2&3) were traveling back to Texas from Omaha when we spotted Darling's sign. Having had more than a few not so pleasant surprises I walked up to the entrance to check it out & immediately saw the No Smoking & No Smoking within 25 feet of the door signs. That was enough to get us in the door.
    We seated ourselves & in less than a minute the young lady was there with our water & crayons & coloring mats for the kids. Though the "decor" is a mismash of old home kitchens everything was very clean & comfortably inviting. And, the Food, what can I say. Like my mother's kitchen.
    Making "GA-GA" over somebody elses grand kids/children will get you good notices. Darling's is a local "hang-out" that reminds us of simpler times & places. We loved the customers friendlyness & comments.
    I don't hesitate to recomend Darling's & when we travel that way again it will be on our list of places to stop.
    SEEK IT OUT AND ENJOY.......

Favorite Dish: Just good home cooking style food.!!!!!!!!!!!

• JennJenn's Profile Photo

RUNZA!: RUNZA!

by JennJenn Written Jan 12, 2004

Description:
    If you're not from Nebraska (or Kansas?) you may never have heard of Runza--a popular fast food restaurant here. And my favorite.

Yum yum yum. I go whenever I can.

Favorite Dish: Favorite Dish:
    A Runza is a beef and cabbage mixture in a bread shell. If you don't particularly care for cabbage, don't skip it! Try it anyway. I love the things!

Plus they have slurpee type drinks. Mmm.

If you are determined not to try the AMAZING Runza, they also make probably the best fast food burger in town.

Helen's: Great Restaurant in Chadron

by Basaic Updated Oct 5, 2013

$9 as of August 2013. This is a family run affair with a nice atmosphere and a varied menu. I had difficulty choosing between the blackened catfish and the veal parmesan. My waitress, Melissa was a delight. Hours are 6 AM to 9 PM daily but open till 10 PM on Friday. I enjoyed my Veal Parmesan. On my previous visit I had the Blackened Catfish which was also quite good. I recommend this place!

• Wine Tasting

Mac's: Good Old Fashioned Drive-In in McCook

by Basaic Written Oct 4, 2013

$7 as of August 2013. This is a one of those old-fashioned drive-ins where the waitress comes to your car. Don't expect a modern eclectic, vegetarian menu here; just good, artery clogging comfort food. Hours are 11 AM to 10 PM Monday through Thursday and 11 AM to 11 PM Friday and Saturday. Great hamburgers.

Red Lobster: Great Chain Restaurant in Kearney

by Basaic Written Oct 4, 2013

$22 as of August 2013. I am a big seafood fan; so I normally am very happy to see a Red Lobster near my motel. This was a good one and my waitress, Becca, was great. Hours are 11 AM to 10 PM Sunday through Thursday and 11 AM to 11 PM Friday and Saturday.

Favorite Dish: I had the Admirals Feast; which was quite good. Love their biscuits too.

• Business Travel

5 Reviews - 27 Photos
Agate Fossil Beds National Monument Hotels
8 Reviews - 21 Photos

Instant Answers: Nebraska

Comments

Nebraska Restaurants

Reviews and photos of Nebraska restaurants posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Nebraska sightseeing.
Map of Nebraska