Schuyler is a growing town of about 6300 (up 17% since 2000) located along US Highway 30 in eastern Nebraska. Schuyler was first established as Shell Creek Station sometime before the arrival of the railroad in 1866. The town was renamed Schuyler in 1879. Many early settlers in the town were Czech, German and Irish. The Oregon and Mormon Trails came through here as did the Lincoln Highway. Schuyler is the county seat of Colfax County. Both the town and the county were named after Schuyler Colfax the 17th Vice Prseident (under Grant) and one of only two people (so far) to serve as both the Speaker of the House and Vice President. The Colfax County Courthouse was completed in 1921 by Lewis E. Smith and is listed on the National Register of Historic Places.