Carson City Things to Do

Most Recent Things to Do in Carson City

Nevada State Museum

State Museum

Again, I didn't have time to look around the Nevada State Museum, but I wish I had. It is open daily, except the usual holidays (Christmas, etc.,). There's an interesting Bell outside - see 'General Tips'.

Admission Fees:

Adults: $3.00
    Seniors: $2.50

Visit here first!

by Geoff_Wright Updated Jul 24, 2003

Nevada Commission on Tourism

Having parked in the shopping Mall, your next visit should be to the Nevada Commission of Tourism, which is housed in the Former Post Office (1891). this was actually the last building I visited, on my way back to the Mall, before driving onwards to Virginia City. On entering the building a most helpful lady, Helene Albrecht, was chatting to another visitor, and telling him about the historic area. Overhearing this conversation I realised that although I had just come from that area, I had obviously completely missed some of the most historic houses in the city. Helene was very helpful, and now armed with a visitors' brochure and map, I returned to the historic area, to follow the 'Blue Line Trail'.

More about the Post Office building later.

where to park?

by Geoff_Wright Written Jul 24, 2003

Carson City is in Eastern Nevada, just to the West of lake Tahoe. Just take Federal Rote 395, which runs through Reno. I entered the city from the south, and found a huge shopping mall on the right hand side, just as you enter the city. Not knowing the place, I decided to park here (free), and walk into the town. There is so much to see, and walking is the only way to do it. However, there is plenty of free parking further into the town, especially in the historic area. Due to the fact that I parked on the edge of town, I actually went back for a second look (see later)!!

• Geoff_Wright's Profile Photo

Continuing the Great American Adventure!

Hyman Olcovich House - 1877

For those of you who have been reading my ramblings, you will know that I never intended to come to Carson City - but I'm so glad that I did! Having arrived in Gardnerville the previous evening, I looked at my map, and discovered that I was very near to the famous Virginia City. In order to get there, I had to pass through Carson City, and so I decided to stop en route, and see something of the town.

• cwest03's Profile Photo

Visit the Nugget

by cwest03 Written Feb 25, 2003

The Nugget sign

The Nugget is one of the best known casinos in Carson City. If you're going to go to any of the casinos in town you might as well make it this one. Lots of slots, cheap tables, bingo and a very inexpensive buffet are just some of the features of the Nugget.

• Casino and Gambling

• cwest03's Profile Photo

Lots of old casinos

by cwest03 Written Feb 25, 2003

There are plenty of old casinos in Carson City which in my opinion have a lot of character. They're typically not as crowded as the ones in Reno and Lake Tahoe you can enjoy giving away your money in peace. Another nice thing about the smaller casinos is that you can often find cheap table games (blackjack, craps, roulette for a dollar)

• Casino and Gambling

• Kiisu's Profile Photo

Nevada's Most Famous Mining Town!

by Kiisu Updated Sep 2, 2002

Go spend at least a full day in Virginia City, which is full of history and tourist traps. There's plenty to do, from museums, saloons (the Bucket of Blood Saloon in my favorite), shops, restaurants, etc. If you want to see something unusual, go in early September for the annual Camel Races! This was the ultimate Nevada mining town, where the Comstock Lode was discovered. Although there are some tacky tourist traps, you can get a feel for what it must have been like when this town was booming in the 1860's. And, it's just a fun place!

• Carson City actually does have...

by Pullman Written Aug 24, 2002

Carson City actually does have History! Check out the Nevada State Museum in the old Mint Building. A great look at the history of the Silver State. Highlights include the silver service from the battleship Nevada, a ghost town exhibit and a mine tour.

Also well worth a visit is the Nevada State Railroad Museum. Steam trains run on selected dates through the summer months and on Nevada Day, October 31.

Visit the web site for the museum!
    Carson City also has a fine tour of historic homes

• frankcanfly's Profile Photo

Casinos

by frankcanfly Written Dec 20, 2005

Just like everywhere else in Nevada, you can nearly always find a place to gamble. The Nugget is the biggest place in this town.

Instant Answers: Carson City

Comments

Carson City Things to Do

Reviews and photos of Carson City things to do posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Carson City sightseeing.