Lake Mead National Recreation Area Travel Guide

• Lake Mead National Recreation Area
    by skipbourque
  • Things to Do
    by Yaqui
    Observation deck and my daughter
    by DEBBBEDB

Lake Mead National Recreation Area Things to Do

• Something else!

Now, I know we might have fell unlucky with the weather, I mean, fancy visiting a desert in the dry season :)But really, we were so shocked to find nothing there at Lake Mead, or Mead as it should be known, that we couldn't believe we trekked out to see it.I am told that in some places there is still enough water to have a few boats and to have a...

• Pink Jeep Tour

Originally I had intended to take a flight from Las Vegas over the Grand Canyon, but instead we did the Pink Jeep tour to Hoover Dam. The trip to the dam was interesting and we got to go to the observation deck and see the film before we went on to the Grand Canyon

• Hoover Dam Tours

I didn't actually do this but the Bureau of Reclamation offers self-paced tours of the dam called The Discovery Tour with presentations and talks at strategic locations both within the dam and at the visitor centre.There can be queues and it is recommended that you allow about 2 hours if you want to go on one. Website has all the info:

• Historic Railroad Tunnel Trail

In 1931 as railroad spur was built to bring in supplies of the building of the dam. After the completion of the Dam in 1935 it was abandon. In 1962 the rail tracks were removed. Today you can walk or bicycle along the elevated railroad bed while enjoying the spectacular views of Lake Mead and the surrounding desert landscape. It was nominated in...

• Lake Mead Overlook

Located along the route towards the dam is a road that takes you to a beautiful overlook of Lake Mead. A great place to take some wonderful photographs. There are so really helpful information plaques that talk about significant areas from the overlook.By Mail601 Nevada WayBoulder City, NV 89005By PhoneVisitor Center (Open 7 Days a Week)(702)...

• Marina

Lake Mead has plenty of wonderful boat ramps, but it is always a good idea to know which ones are open or closed. All of course according to summer and winter seasons which ramps are open or closed. Plus they have some very serious regulations and you could easily be inspected at anytime. So its always another good idea to observe this for your...

• Bring Your Barbie!

Boulder Beach, just after the entrance station coming from The Hoover Dam, has a lakeside picnic area which is popular with local residents for a day out complete with the whole barbie kit - gas-fired BBQ, spare gas bottles, portable stereos, guitars, steaks, salads, and whatever. This is done quite seriously with the whole extended family invited....

• We All Live In A...

Or, you could bring your little yellow submarine. Someone did. I saw this one pulled off the road on the Lake Mead Highway.

• Same Old Same Old

30 years later... still fish to feed at Lake Mead. Some kids had fun feed them the crumbs we brought. I didn't see any popcorn for sale like in the old days. Maybe it isn't politically correct to feed the fish anymore?

• The beauty of the lake

2 good areas for viewing- 1) Coming over the hill from Boulder City , the lake seems to pop up out of nowhere. Stop by the Lake Mead Recreation Area sign. (There is a small pulloff area there.) 2) On the way to Hoover Dam (coming from Boulder Beach), there is a viewpoint on the left side. You will have to drive up a slight hill. There will be a big...

• Popcorn for all

Half the sack of salted popcorn, I shared it back to my little boy..he could enjoy the Marina's fishes more than I. Those ducks are on diet...they just got some few bite from popcorns, I don't really know what they want.

• Giant Cactus!!

At the recreation area Visitor's Center's garden, you can see the big cactus, I think this is a usual plant on this place..I even saw more of cactus even along the road and everywhere!

• Popcorn for all

I bought a sack of popcorn for my little boy at the resort grocery store, It cost $1.50 per sack...normally it is only sold to feed fishes within marina!!...and the carpers get wild with the salted popcorn, my little Kyle had fun feeding them and the papa joined as well.

• Popcorn for all

From the passage way, we moved to Marina's front, just by the restaurant area...I wasn't contented and wanted to join, I even buy another sack of salted popcorn to do the feeding by myself.

• Waiting for pop corn!

Looks like they were craving for some food..we had to stop and they flocked more and more in front of you.

• Watch carpers!!

Maybe not for you but kids would love it. When we walk towards Marina, we were amazed to flocked carpers by the edge of passage way. We walked farther and seems that they were following us :-) are they used to get fed by public?

• Beautiful Marina

There's a mountanious sight!!..on our way to the resort..there were cars and mobile home passing us and loaded with their boat, they gonna have fun on the Lake!

• Beautiful Marina

Pay a visit to this place....here you can dine in at their restaurant or even have some drink at the covered lake front with stunning LAKE VIEW and mountains. You can even have a walk around to discover what more these resort has to offer.

Lake Mead National Recreation Area Warnings and Dangers

• by BillGlo Written Jun 21, 2004

We planned on camping at Boulder Beach for 3 nights.
    The first day hit 109 degrees. We barely slept that night. It must have been in the high 90's. We had to get a hotel for the next 2 nights. This was in the first days of June.

• National/State Park
    • Camping

Lake Mead National Recreation Area Tourist Traps

• kylian74's Profile Photo

by kylian74 Updated Apr 27, 2004

Not totally a tourist trap but when you get inside the recreation area, you'll get almost same sights, rock formation, dusty road, the lake, few desert plants.
    No shops nor restaurants and even a gas station.

Unique Suggestions: If you think you'll staying here for a day, better bring some food/snacks and drinks with you and stop by at any picknick area, there are tables and benches, even a fire grill ready.

Fun Alternatives: If you prefer not to bring foods, restaurant are only located at the resort....you don't have choices of resto there, It is a resort restaurant that prices quite high than any reastaurant outside the area.

On our way!
    • Adventure Travel

Lake Mead National Recreation Area Off The Beaten Path

• Getting there....

Approaching Lake Mead, you got this view by the road. I manage to take pic from car....I actually wanted to get out and walk through the lake but the road is not allowing a stop anytime.

• Flowers

In March 2005 all the rain had the desert in this part greener and blooming like it hasn't for years.This is a picture looking down at the ground on the way to the lake...

• more cactus

Here's another sort of cactus! forgive me I can't tell you which sort is these....I took the pic still from the Visitor's Area garden.

Lake Mead National Recreation Area Sports & Outdoors

• kylian74's Profile Photo

by kylian74 Written Apr 25, 2004

When we went to the camping area we saw these group of people swimming, I think they're going to do kayak as well...they have their own kayak boat and even have personal life jackets with them.

Equipment: Within the Lake at the camping place you can go swimming at your own risk, no lifeguard around.. you can do what you want just be aware to safeness.

swimming group!
    • Beaches

Lake Mead National Recreation Area Favorites

• The Desert Bloom - March 2005

I took this picture along Lake Mead in late March 2005. It's quite unusual for the hillsides to be this green.

• Things to do while in Lake Mead

The scenery en route alone makes this a place worth visiting. But, if you have the time and the weather, a more in depth exploration is in order. This is definitely the place for the water enthusiast stuck in the middle of the desert and needing an aquatic fix. Fishing is extremely popular here, as are waterskiing, boating, kayaking and canoeing....

• Flowering Cactus

Watch out for some flowering cactus within Recration Area...if you love flowers combining photography you would appreciate it. Looking for some flowers, I found this one and took a picture!!..Yes, Isn't I made it NiCe??

Instant Answers: Lake Mead National Recreation Area

Comments

Explore Deeper into Lake Mead National Recreation Area
more cactus!!