Personal Moments, Las Vegas

Know about this? Rate It!

Winnie & Buck
    by kris-t
    by freddie18
    by freddie18
  • kris-t's Profile Photo

Say hi to Winnie & Buck

by kris-t Written Feb 24, 2013

Winnie & Buck

Favorite thing: This iconic statue in the middle of the Harrah's casino was not based on a real story of a couple who won big bucks at Harrah's. Winnie and Buck Greenbacks are fictional characters. They are a respresentation of the hopes and dreams of anyone that comes to Las Vegas.
    The name of the dog in the statue is Chip. Chip used to hold a $100 bill in his mouth (it’ was not U.S. dollars, it was Harrah’s dollars) but now his mouth is empty.

Fondest memory: The statue was created by Conversano and Chiodo.

• Photography

• PorkTeriyaki's Profile Photo

More than just Gambling

by PorkTeriyaki Written Jun 4, 2009

Favorite thing: I'll gladly pass on my experience. Hope you can get some ideas from this.

Fondest memory: Bright lights, party atomosphere, & people just out to have a good time.

• Aquarium
    • Museum Visits

• clueless83's Profile Photo

A special souvenir from each hotel

by clueless83 Updated Mar 10, 2009

poker chip souvenirs

Favorite thing: One thing I love about Vegas is that its the only place where the hotels themselves are the attractions. I also love that the hotels aren't just generic looking places to shower and sleep, they have themes, some even house wild animals and nightclubs! I love that at one moment I could be shopping in New York and then half an hour later be dining in Paris or riding a Venetian gondola.

A friend who looked at my holiday photos said that Las Vegas looks like a toy town, indeed it does, Las Vegas is a playground whether you're a gambler or not. Sure, you can have a flutter but there's plenty to be seen and done other than gamble all your hard earned cash away...

Fondest memory: When in Vegas we thought it would be fun to buy $1 poker chips from each hotel casino to keep as a souvenir. Some hotels will just sell you the chip at the top of the pile, some will know what you are doing and try to find you a chip thats not too grubby. One lady at the Luxor actually got a baby wipe out and cleaned the chips for us!

• freddie18's Profile Photo

Desert Cactus

by freddie18 Updated Jan 11, 2009

Cactus of Las Vegas

Favorite thing: I am very fond of cactus and cannot help taking picture of this one. It must be common to some but to me every piece of this plant is unique. I always wanted to have collection of cactus especially those that are flowery with bright, very bright colours.

I just did not have the chance to collect too many varieties but I am happy enough to see cactus of different types in a once a desert Las Vegas. I guess on my next visit, I have to find out if I can do find some more of it.

Taken outside my hotel at Best Western McCarran Inn Hotel in Paradise Road, Las Vegas, Nevada.

• FRED318's Profile Photo

Vegas Weekend

by FRED318 Written Nov 24, 2008

Favorite thing: I have been to Vegas on the weekend and I have also went during the week, I will tell you the weekend is not worth it ! you have enough problems during the week getting dinner reservations , the weekend is allot more money just to wait ....also there are plenty of people there during the week / yes do not go on the weekend you are right !!!

Fondest memory: There is always somthing to do in Vegas , from the strip to renting motorcyles ( the best ride you ever had ) to Helicopter rides through the grand cannon .

• sue_stone's Profile Photo

The Strip

by sue_stone Written Oct 18, 2008

Dawn view

Favorite thing: The Strip, aka Las Vegas Boulevard, is what modern-day Vegas is all about. Lined with glitzy, themed hotels, casinos and mega-resorts, this is a bustling place by day and night.

Fondest memory: Try to experience the Strip at various times of day - the almost serene scenes early morning as the sun rises over the Eiffel Tower; the traffic jams and tourists sweating under the baking dessert sun in the middle of the day.

Late afternoon brings respite from that sun, so stop by the Bellagio and watch the fountains dance, before freshening up and hitting the street at night to see the Strip all lit up and sparkling, and do some casino hopping or catch a show. It's all good.

• Architecture

• Jerelis's Profile Photo

Budweiser - King of all Beers?

by Jerelis Written Aug 16, 2006

Budweiser

Favorite thing: Let’s make no secret of it. We both like a nice cold glass of beer. Being abroad is always a challenge to find a beer we like, which reflects our taste of having a beer. In America it wasn’t really that hard to find the brand we liked, it was clearly Budweiser, popularly referred to as Bud.

Budweiser is a lager made with a proportion of rice as a substitute adjunct for barley malt. This immedaitely shows the problem for selling it in Europe as traditional brewers serve beer with only the four main ingredients (water, hops, wheat and barley). So Budweiser is not produced accoring to the German "Reinheitsgebot". But we found out that it didn’t taste distinctively different.

The Budweiser bottle is a rather familiar icon to most Americans. The bottle has remained relatively unchanged since its introduction in 1876. We liked it, but the fraze “King of all Beers” is a bid of an overstatement!

• Beer Tasting

• mcpangie's Profile Photo

Surrounding Mountains

by mcpangie Written Mar 24, 2005
    Geology

Favorite thing: I lived in the Vegas area many years ago, so I remember when Las Vegas was a small city in a broad valley. Now, it fills that valley for the most part. 250,000 to 1.7 million in population in the last 30 years.

Fondest memory: But the surrounding mountains haven't changed. These mountains are just north of Las Vegas on highway 95. I just love the fun patterns in the rocks. It is one memory that I keep. Everytime I travel near Vegas I'm watching the mountains nearby.

• Desert

• TrueGemini's Profile Photo

My hometown

by TrueGemini Written Jan 13, 2005

Favorite thing: Being a native born and raised here in Vegas, I can tell you a lot about this city from my life, but having a family that has resided here since the 1930's means that I can tell you even more than most know.

If you are traveling to Las Vegas, fell free to contact me. I will tell you everything there is to know, help you find deals on shows, rooms, and attractions, as well as tell you some things you didn't know.

• Spa and Resort

• johnwilky53's Profile Photo

take time your to plan your evening stroll

by johnwilky53 Written Sep 24, 2004

Favorite thing: take 10 mins to read the times of the free attractions as you walk the strip,arrive at treasure island 10 mins prior to show ,similar the bellagio fountains and the ceasars show ,dont miss these its part of the vegas experience,enjoy.

Fondest memory: arriving ,then leaving ,3 days was just about enough.we have been twice now and who knows we will probably go again in 10 years or so.

• jhane27's Profile Photo

Nothing in Las Vegas is CHEAP!!

by jhane27 Written Aug 6, 2004

Favorite thing: I do miss Vegas a whole lot..The people are very friendly and the city has so much energy to give. But, make sure you bring enough money with you to have the fun you want to have. I recommend that anyone coming with $400 or less in their pocket spend most of their time on Fremont Street. Where everything is cheaper and your money can go a long way.... Stop at the Golden Gate Hotel to get their famous Football full of Beer or whatever you have the taste for, for only $6.00.

Fondest memory: The way the city lights look at night especially when your flying over the city coming into the airport at night!

• skib's Profile Photo

Wonderful Times with Friends

by skib Written Jun 29, 2004

Favorite thing: My favorite thing about Las Vegas? There are so many things! I love being on vacation with no obligations. I especially loved Vegas because of the care free attitude. I spent the time with my boyfriend and wonderful friends. We spent the days basking in the sun (we came from 30 degree weather in MN) and eating great food, we spent the evenings exploring all of the casinos and their attractions, and the nights partying. It was Las Vegas! There is something wonderful about walking down the street with a bottle of beer and watching cheezy magic shows.

Fondest memory: One night we decided to spend a "fun night" together. We met at the Luxor and played nickel slots and had a few cocktails. Then we went to the crummy San Remo hotel for a horrible steak dinner, but the service and company was wonderful and I wouldn't trade it for a thing. We then went on the roller coaster at NYNY and then to Studio 64. I don't know if any of the activities we did were all that fun, but we were all in a great mood and had absolutely care free attitudes. It was a perfect night!

• School Holidays

• lauriejeanne's Profile Photo

As I walked into the hotel...

by lauriejeanne Written Sep 7, 2002

Favorite thing: As I walked into the hotel room, I was shocked to feel the air conditioning turned up full blast. I couldn't understand the waste of energy on the part of the hotel... Then I saw the surprise and I almost fainted!!

• Kodi01's Profile Photo

Kodi01's General Tip

by Kodi01 Updated Aug 25, 2002

Fondest memory: Easter in Las Vegas and meeting this newborn celebrating his first Easter!

I also went to my friend brothers 1st confirmation in a beautiful Catholic church, how many people do that in Vegas? Go to church? :)

• Lotta51's General Tip

by Lotta51 Written Aug 25, 2002

Fondest memory: When I first arrived in 'LAS VEGAS', back in 1974, MANY of the large resort were NOT AROUND on the FAMOUS LAS VEGAS STRIP> There WAS> 'LANDMARK', 'HACIENDA', 'SILVER-SLIPPER', 'CASTAWAYS', 'DUNES', ALL MEMORIES NOW!!!

Instant Answers: Las Vegas