Studio 54, Las Vegas

Know about this? Rate It!

Studio 54 Entrance
    by globetrotter_2006
  • tomhoward's Profile Photo

Studio 54: DollHouse

by tomhoward Updated Jul 22, 2006

Watch out for the "1 free admittance" tickets. Bouncer told us it was an advertising flyer and so was effectively useless. (We got the last laugh as our names were down on the guestlist anyway).

Came here on a Thursday night called Doll House, and although it was obviously of no interest to me, the gimmick is to employ attractive models to wander round the club and, by request, dress up in different skimpy outfits. Some are also painted as they podium dance by a body artist with possibly the greatest job on the planet. However I was here only as Studio54 is home to one of the few resident house DJ's in this hip hop / rock obsessed part of the world.

The club itself is meant to be replica of the original New York Studio 54, although as I'm unfortunately not a 1970's rock star, it would be a little hard to comment on its authenticity. They did have the mechanical moon and some acrobatic dancers on elastic ropes, but unfortunately the debauchery was limited to a bottle of Becks on the balcony.

Music was wishy-washy underground house (I couldn't name a single track for an hour), and although the mixing from the main (female) DJ wasn't too bad, the second girl that came on couldn't mix a cake. In fact she successfully managed to do the impossible and "warm the crowd DOWN". 'Highlight' of the night was the very tired sounding Armand Van Helden mix of Tori Amos "Professional Widow"... oh dear, no more to be said.

Crowd was in dire need of some stimulus, and one or two would have lost a 'dance off' with my grandma.

In the late 1970's Studio54 was probably the most unique space on the planet, but by the late 80's and early 90's, every tacky nightclub in the UK had unashamedly plagiarised their design and lighting. So, in the hands of the right DJ, this place could possibly be electric, but instead it reminded me of Manchester's Piccadilly 21 on a Wednesday night. Disappointing.

Dress Code: Found this on the Guardian Travel pages. Feel free to replace 'Miami' with 'Vegas' or 'LA', as it sums up beautifully most nightclubs across America.

But the oddest aspect of Miami's cool clubs is how naff they are. The music is rubbish, ranging all the way from 50 Cent to Usher, and the clientele are dressed like they're going to the golf club (men) or to a mini skirt convention (women). Everyone is very beautiful, I suppose; flat-stomached and shiny-haired, with their tops tucked into their trousers - but they're not lively enough to work up a club atmosphere hotter than a menopausal flush. Oh well. After a few drinks, you stop caring, because Miami clubs are fantastic, enchanting environments, for all their strangeness. All they need are brilliant DJs: which they get during the Miami Music Convention, in March.

Miranda Sawyer
    Saturday February 5, 2005

Real or fake ?

• goingsolo's Profile Photo

Studio 54 and Tabu: Studio 54 and Tabu

by goingsolo Written Jun 17, 2004

Studio 54 and Tabu are 2 places in the MGM Grand Hotel. Studio 54 is a well known club whose hype has made it extremely crowded, especially on the weekends. Waiting in line for 3-4 hours is possible here, for those who choose to do it. From what I heard, it seems that its largely a younger, and possibly a little too young, crowd that does this and that the place is packed inside.

Tabu is smaller and less well known, but it draws a see and want to be seen crowd.

Dress Code: Studio 54 has a dress code of no shorts or flip flops, but I'm told its not always enforced. Tabu is dressier as it caters to the lounge crowd rather than the club crowd.

• RavensWing's Profile Photo

Studio 54: Bright Lights and Empty Dance Floor

by RavensWing Updated Jan 8, 2014

We had heard so much great things about Studio 54. We went and it cost us $20 to get into the Studio and we were given a free drink. Not your own choice of course, whatever the bar happened to be promoting. This being the 'busy' night we expected there would be many people. It was dead. The dance floor had maybe 4 people dancing, a few girls on the huge speakers.

I wouldn't bother going back again. Although I did like the music they were playing, it was boring otherwise. In fact they even had sections taped off so we couldn't sit down.

Dress Code: No T-shirts, tank tops, baggy jeans, flannel shirts, hats, tennis shoes or work boots.

Studio 54 Entrance The Bar

• ErinInMD's Profile Photo

Studio 54: Not really worth the wait

by ErinInMD Written Apr 10, 2004

Studio 54 is inside the MGM Grand ... which makes it a very convenient club if you're staying in the hotel. The wait to get in was long ... but at least you could gamble while waiting in line. The bouncers were not amused if people tried to cut in line.

Once inside it seemed small and cramp (maybe I was expecting something bigger) with lots of sticky stuff on the floor. It's hard to dance when you're constantly sticking to the floor.

Drinks and cover charge were the usual for Las Vegas (overpriced)

Dress Code: The dress code seemed pretty casual. You had regular club gear and people in street clothes.

• HotRodEtte's Profile Photo

Studio 54: Recanting the old 70s hot spot

by HotRodEtte Written Sep 6, 2005

The entertainment was great--1 male & 2 female go go dancers gracing the catwalks, trapeze & swing acts, fun atmosphere and great music. However the place gets VERY crowded and doesn't leave much for dancing or even walking around. Also be prepared to spend some cash--$9 for a Red Bull, $5 for a small half-sized bottle of water, $11 for Long Island iced tea. Also prepare to wait in hours-long line if you get there after 11pm.

Dress Code: Casual; jeans OK, but don't push it with the relaxed dress code. No sandals or hats for men.

crowd & trapeze dancer at Studio 54

• clueless83's Profile Photo

Studio 54: The Stereophonics sang about this place!

by clueless83 Written Feb 17, 2008

Studio 54 was nothing like I expected...

I thought it would be big and brash, instead you just look for the golden 54 (as in my photo) on the casino wall, the entrance was more discreet than I was expecting.

I thought we'd be queuing for hours. We went on a Thursday night and I swear we were queuing for less than half an hour.

I thought everyone would be 'too cool' but the atmosphere was ok and me and my boyfriend felt like the two most dressed up people there!

The Dollhouse on a Thursday night is mainly RnB music, I enjoy dancing to this so if you like Justin Timberlake, Kanye West, Nelly Furtado etc then you will probably enjoy it. The club was alot smaller than I was expecting but it wasn't squashy. There were dancers on podiums and trapeze artists who dropped down from the ceiling every now and then.
    There aren't many places to sit down in Studio 54 unless you pay for a VIP table.

The downside- We stayed at the MGM Grand and were offered no privileges unless we were willing to pay for them which we didn't bother. I also don't think I got in for free (which I was expecting as I had read about it) so be prepared to pay ladies! Also, I don't appreciate being thrown a filthy look by the toilet attendant just because I didnt tip her for giving me a piece of tissue (which I could've picked up myself) to dry my hands on. I know people work for tips in Vegas but I didn't feel it was justified in this instance!

I would go back to Studio 54 if it was local but as a tourist if I went back to Vegas I would go elsewhere. There's quite alot of hype about this place but there's nothing that special about it really.

Dress Code: Well we thought it was dress to impress so I was wearing a 60s style mini dress with heels and my boyfriend was wearing shirt and tie (in a funky Justin Timberlake style, not businessman style) but when we got in there I'm pretty sure I saw girls in flipflops in jeans.

The famous logo

• toontown's Profile Photo

Studio 54: Party all night at Studio 54

by toontown Updated Jan 8, 2005

Studio 54 is one of the hottest dance spots in Vegas and definitely hedonistic. Originally famous as the New York night club in the 70's, it was re-opened in Vegas in 1997. It has two levels, a main dance floor (always packed), and a couple of other dance floors upstairs. There's nowhere to sit unless you book and pay for a table, but it's more fun to dance to the top 40, hip-hop, and house music then to sit anyway. The DJ was really good. Added entertainment includes dancers, wall walkers, and acrobatic performances on trapeze and bungees above the main dance floor. Also smoke machines, hazers, confetti.

Open Tue - Sat: 10:00 p.m. - close (usually about 5 a.m.) Line up can be long on weekends but was not too bad when we went on a Tueday (about 20 minute wait at 11 p.m.) It was worth the short wait though. $10 for men, ladies free. You can buy a front-of-the-line pass for $40 but it's not worth it - it just means a slightly shorter line.

Dress Code: No baggy jeans, shorts, tennis shoes, or work boots.

The MGM is home to Vegas version of Studio 54

• aussie79's Profile Photo

Studio 54: STUDIO 54

by aussie79 Written Jan 1, 2003

Definitely a hotspot. I love this club because the atmosphere is so fun. The Studio 54 dancers are on pedestals and swinging from the ceiling. All guests must be 21 years of age for admittance. The doors of the legendary Studio open nightly at 10 p.m Tuesday through Saturday

Dress Code: Please refrain from wearing baggy jeans, shorts, T-shirts, hats, flannel shirts, sandals, tennis shoes, recreational shoes and work boots.

• HotSpotJ's Profile Photo

Studio 54: Party at MGM

by HotSpotJ Written Nov 17, 2005

Studio 54 was a very fun spot, I went there whjile I was club hopping and had a blast! When I was there, MGM had a very young, sexy crowd, and everytime I stopped in I enjoyed myself, so a stop at Studio 54 is something you won't regret.

Dress Code: Dress to Impress

• travelnurse21's Profile Photo

Studio 54: Studio 54 at MGM Grand

by travelnurse21 Written Dec 28, 2005

This club does not look as posh as other Vegas clubs. But the music is excellent and the crowd is FUN! The line up tends to be long, but like I said, if you're ALL girls and ALL dressed to kill, you should be able to go to the front of the line and get in in NO time at all!

Dress Code: Dress to kill!

on our way to studio 54
    • Study Abroad

• lynlynn's Profile Photo

Studio 54: Studio 54

by lynlynn Written Sep 21, 2004

studio 54 is located in the mgm grand. lines can take up to 2 hours so you must buy vip tix in advanced so you dont have to wait in line. they seem to go back and forth w/the music between house, techno, and hip hop. but when you're wasted, you can pretty much dance to anything...

the club is fairly large 2 floors,4 dance floors, 4 bars i think? i cant remember. great kamikaze's, i was having 2 at a time but then again, i always have 2 shots of kamikaze's at a time...

they've got dancers, and acrobats, and confetti and balloon drops. and... it's nicely air conditioned in there! plenty of places to sit. the bathrooms may be a problem, there's always a long line out the door but i've found it to be the case in most clubs. we all had to hold it and used the restrooms in the casino.

ladies are free... guys were $20 i think?

Dress Code: Dress Code: No baggy jeans, shorts, tennis shoes, or work boots... obviously...

• jmhenry1123's Profile Photo

Studio 54: It's good to be a girl

by jmhenry1123 Written Oct 20, 2004

Went to Studio 54 on a Saturday night. Ladies do not have to pay cover but they make up for it with exorbitant drink prices. The dancing was fun. They have acrobats on bungees swinging above the dance floor, walking up walls etc.

Dress Code: Dress to Impress, you will be turned away if you are wearing jeans, gym shoes

• Studio 54: Overratted Hot Spot

by Cornfl8gal Written Aug 21, 2003

It was about a 45 minute wait to get into the club at midnight on a Friday night. Free entrance for ladies, $20 cover for men. The dance floor was packed. Downside, there were too many men trying to "envade" your space. I went with a group of girlfriends with the intention of just dancing and having fun but there were too many aggressive men there who wanted to join in our fun. So we had to keep our guards up and couldn't just relax and have fun.

Music was hopping and the DJ really keep the crowd dancing the entire time. The go-go dancers were hot (both men and women). Too bad I didn't care for the majority of the other patrons otherwise the place would have been awesome!

Dress Code: Most people were dressed trendy and no jeans.

• moremaga's Profile Photo

STUDIO 54: This place is...

by moremaga Written Aug 25, 2002

STUDIO 54: This place is multi-level with a lot or room to dance and hangout. They play techno, Top 40, and house music. This place is fun even if the music is ok since it's so crowded and loud.
    Cover $10-20 for guys, girls are free...no fair!!

Dress Code: Nice clothes, no jeans, tennis shoes, etc

• jenna24's Profile Photo

by jenna24 Written Aug 25, 2002

Studio 54
    MGM Grand is home to Las Vegas' hottest nightclub, Studio 54, featuring state-of-the-art sound, video and lighting, live dancers, wall walkers and chart-topping dance music. Voted 'Best Dance Club' for 2000 and 2001 by the Las Vegas Review Journal, the 22,000-square-foot nightclub offers four dance floors and bars, an exclusive area on the second floor for invited guests, and several semi-private lounges capable of accommodating up to 400 people. In celebration of the original Studio 54, the nightclub features a gallery of black and white celebrity photographs taken by paparazzo Felice Quinto at New York City's original Studio 54, which defined '70s pop culture with its eclectic artwork, dramatic fashion and stylish attitude.

Dress Code: 'Dress Funky, Not Junky'

Instant Answers: Las Vegas