Circus Circus Hotel and Casino, Las Vegas

by JudiandBill
  • tomhoward's Profile Photo

Circus Circus - The Steakhouse: Don't be a clown

by tomhoward Updated Jul 17, 2006

Fuming about this hole...

Wouldn't normally bother writing about a bad restaurant, but this place got me furious. Mostly 'cos my bible of American eateries, Zagat, had praised the place so highly. (Along with nearly every other critics guide that kissed butt on the proudly displayed certificates).

Reserved a lunch through the ever fabulous opentable.com.

When we arrived there was already a queue out of the door with people who hadn't booked... "suckers" I thought as we strolled past.

Sure enough our name was down, but we were asked to wait in the bar area whilst they prepared the table. And we waited. And waited. And they've got a funny idea of time in this place as I kept getting told "2 minutes".

And waited.

After sitting for 45mins in the stinky dark pit that is Circus Circus, The Steakhouse, we were finally ushered to our table by an apologetic waiter (no doubt worried his 20% tip was evaporating).

Now it got a little weird at this point. Basically you don't order food, but go up to a buffet and heap food onto your own plate. Unfortunately it was all a little "school dinner" for my liking. Everything was soggy, steamed beyond recognition, and had turned a funny grey hue - may have been the lighting. At the end of this sorry parade was a pitiful excuse for a carvery which consisted of a leg of ham (looked & tasted reconditioned, even though it wasn't) and rib-eye beef, which was haemorrhaging blood, surrounded by an inch thick layer of blubber fat, mmm, delicious...

The steak - remember this is called Steakhouse - comes as a second course. You have the choice of about 3 types. We went fillet and got something the size of my big toe. Fortunately, it tasted just as good.

Favorite Dish: Definitely the oysters from the first course. Shrivelled dry and tasting like an old used condom... probably. Had an unusual after-taste that left us feeling sick for the rest of the day.

On the plus side, they try to drown you in mediocre champagne (included) throughout the meal, so if you do go, just make the most of that. They even forced 2 beakers of it into our hands as we stood up to leave.

Everyone who works here is an incompetent fool, from the waddling receptionist, over excitable waiter, pointless maitre d' (who meanders aimlessly around the restaurant), to the chef who shouldn't even be in charge of spooning dog food.

The barman didn't understand me when I asked for a beer. Had to ask 3 times, before spelling the word B..E..E..R.. Even then he looked clueless, before the penny finally dropped, and he repeated "Oh beeeeerr".

Would have thought he was joking, were it not for the fact this was the 16th time on the holiday we had experienced a serious "communication malfunction".

The greatest steakhouse in Las Vegas... if it's your first meal after a 25 year stretch in an Iranian prison.

This place seriously dented our image of perfect American eateries (and service).

• bugalugs's Profile Photo

Circus Circus Buffet: Cold Buffet!!!!

by bugalugs Written Aug 7, 2005

Our first morning and we wanted breakfast, the Circus Circus was only 5 minutes walk away and so we decided to give it a try. Wish we hadn'nt bothered.
    I think the breakfast was about $9.50 and you dont mind paying for something that is hot and edible, this was neither.
    Would'nt go there again.

Circus Circus

• PinkFloydActuary's Profile Photo

Circus Circus Buffet: For the love of Pete, don't do it!

by PinkFloydActuary Updated Sep 6, 2006

There's no way you could have researched your trip to Vegas and not heard something about this place. It's consistently rated as one of the worst buffets in town for a simple reason - it's one of the worst buffets in town. It's very much like low grade dorm food. Don't be lured in by the cheap prices, your stomach will thank you later. As an example of the issues here, several items they served for dinner showed up in a similar entree for the next breakfast. Avoid it like the plague.

Favorite Dish: Favorite dish? The glass of water!

• Africancrab's Profile Photo

Circus Buffet: Worth trying

by Africancrab Written Aug 28, 2012

We dinned at the Circus Buffet located inside the Circus Circus hotel. We decided to dine at the hotel seeing as we had just arrived from Tucson and were feeling tired. We paid about $15 per person for the buffet. The child was $9 including drinks.

The food was great, I particularly liked the cofee and Chinese rolls. For $15, I would recommend dinning there if you want variety.
    The buffet consisted of Steak, fish, mixed vegetables, rice, Mexican tortilla wraps, Chinese rolls and cheese dumplings, beans etc

Definitely worth trying.

• JudiandBill's Profile Photo

Circus Circus Steak House: A real steak!!!

by JudiandBill Written Jan 28, 2006

Since I had read in several places the best steak in Vegas was to be found at the Circus Circus "The Steakhouse" we went here for our Anniversary Dinner. The ambience was divine, and it was fun watching the cooks prepare the steaks in the center of the restaurant. There's a beef aging room when you walk in that is also something to see.

Favorite Dish: We had the filet dinners, and although a bit pricey, they were delicious - and cooked perfectly. Bill and I laughed that each of our steaks would have fed 6 people at Ellis Island - but it's just the old adage YOU GET WHAT YOU PAY FOR!

By ALL means call ahead for reservations!

From their website Dinner on our anniversary

• KaiM's Profile Photo

Lots of buffets

by KaiM Updated May 10, 2003

Try one of the buffets in one of the large hotels. For approximately 10 dollars you can eat as much as you want. Usually great variety of food and deserts. I once ate at the "Circus Circus" Casino Resort. The buffet was awesome.

• Casino and Gambling

• We had dinner at a casino. I...

by Psychokiwi Written Aug 24, 2002

We had dinner at a casino. I think it was at Circus Circus. It's the one with the circus theme if you didn't know or couldn't figure out.

Favorite Dish: They have buffets set up. The food was decent but there wasso many people there that it was a long wait before you could get back to the buffet.

• Circus Circus Buffet: Best Buffet in Town

by Circuscircuslover Written Sep 26, 2011

The Circus Circus buffet is obviously the best buffet in town. Recently, they remodeled it and changed it up and now it is much better. The atmosphere is great, and the food is delicious and awesome! Perfect setting for anyone looking for a great place to eat. Also the price is great too! Trust me you will love the Circus Circus Buffet!

• Circus Circus Buffet: Sub Par

by SaraBuffet Updated Apr 4, 2011

I would not recommend this buffet to anyone. It is definitely one of the worst buffets on the Strip. I should have listened to the advice from this review: http://www.vegasrex.com/buffets/circus-circus/

Favorite Dish: none

• skanda's Profile Photo

Circus Circus Buffet: Low prices? Bad quality!

by skanda Written Apr 21, 2006

The cheap all-you-can-eat-buffet at the Circus Circus looked to good to be true. Well, it was! Horrible food and no ambience. But, what can you expect foor 10 dollars a head. Don't eat here, unless you are really broke.

Favorite Dish: If you have to eat anything here, stay on the safe side and eat bread and desserts.

• joits's Profile Photo

Circus Circus Buffet: Crappy buffet

by joits Written Jul 17, 2004

Features typical American food like fried chicken, mash potatoes, macaroni and cheese, etc. Its also pretty bland. Basically the taste is comparable to the price. You pay cheap, you get cheap food.

Favorite Dish: None

• Circus Circus Buffet: Avoid Avoid

by BillGlo Updated Jul 10, 2004

I thought it would be exciting to experience the world's busiest buffet.
    To get there, we were stuck in traffic for 45 minutes, then for 20 minutes trying to get a parking spot in the garage, then a 30 minute wait in line up to the cash register. (In all fairness, this was during the Memorial weekend).
    For all of this, we were rewarded with a buffet consisting of dry food with very little taste. It was mostly breakfast food and very few lunch items. I pride myself on being a non-picky eater but I could barely finish it.
    My wife and I both agreed that it was the worst meal of our 16 day Southwest vacation.

Favorite Dish: The beverage area and salad bar were quite nice. The casino itself was nice-it's a shame the food was so bad.

Instant Answers: Las Vegas

Comments

Hotels Near Circus Circus Hotel and Casino
3.5 out of 5 stars